Good longevity touring tyres?

cubicincubi

Registered
Hi guys

I need a new rear for my K6. BT56 lasted just under 4K miles (would squeeze a few more miles out of it but the roads are wet and greasy so not worth it)

I thought the tyre wore quickly... in 3 months to be precise. I think I'm quite an aggressive rider but not 'that' experienced so I guess compared to some I'm probably lucky to see 4K out of a BT56
wink.gif

I've been looking at the options and I dont think I want or need a newly designed sports orientated tyre, claiming better this and the other. I dont think I'll use the tyre advantages as I'm not a fast rider (unless it's a straight line, lol)

I reckon a tougher compound and more sports tourer orientated tyre will be better for me as I'm not one for slinging it around corners trying to keep up with the GSXR750 crew, so maybe a dual compound for cornering is again overkill. I use the Busa mainly for touring and long distance.

I was thinking of going for a pair of Avon Azaro ST's

I have Dunlop Sportmax DT207F's on my Firestorm and they still have lots of tread left, although they are a bit square from long highway journeys, so naturally I was considering those aswell.

Both of the above tyres have since been superceded, which is why they are cheap now, but that makes me think about shelf life and wether or not ebay deals are for old tyres.

I was also thinking of Michelin Macadam 100X

What else can I consider?

Many thanks

I have been running pilot powers for this entire season. 70 % interstate the rest just touring etc.. about 5000 miles on mine and they both look good. probaly get 8500 ot of the rear at this rate.

Avon 46 will last ya a good while . Go with the Avon 60 for more grip but less mileage .
wink.gif

1. Avon
2. Pilot Powers
Have seen both run on Busa and must say you'll get your moneys worth out of either........

I've been running Bridgestone 020s on the rear of my Busa, stockers on the front. The last one went over 10K miles.

Avons
beerchug.gif
I have AV-59 & AV-60 3000 miles on 'em and you can still see the mold inpressions

Yes, Avon AV-45 and AV-46 are known here for their high mileage....... (and they handle decent too)
cool.gif

If you wore a BT56 in that many miles the rest will be in the pile way B4 that! I thought they lasted better than any i tried. You use the rear brake alot?

8Dayatona8 - nope, hardly use the rear at all unless it's to scrub off a bit of panic into a corner.

Most of those miles were done two up, half of that mileage was with soft side panniers and a tank bag in addition to pillion. Tyre pressures by the book.

I do tend to cruise at around 110-120mph on the motorways. (freeway to you lot)

So you reckon a BT56 will last longer than a Azaro?

I can pick up (azaro) 2 rear tyres and a front for the price of front and rear BT56's.

Surprising no one has spoken up for the Metzeler Z6's??? My stock BT56 was shagged at 2900 miles, My M3 rear went 4200 miles (front M3 is still going strong) and now I am on a Z6 for the winter. It is slightly Narrower thant the M3 which was slightly narrower than the BT56 (all 190's). So far I like it a lot. Roads are littered with gravel and rain and who knows what this time of year so I think it will serve me well. Let you know how it works out!

Avons new replacement (Storm -ST) for the AV45/46 sounds interesting as well!

When it comes to BT's or Avons for the reasons you mentioned..... Hands down Avon! Had a friend put almost 8,000 hard miles on his last set.

(Buellbomb @ Dec. 04 2006,04:13) I've been running Bridgestone 020s on the rear of my Busa, stockers on the front. The last one went over 10K miles.
yep 020 will last a while for you.

(mofuggahere @ Dec. 04 2006,14:01)
(Buellbomb @ Dec. 04 2006,04:13) I've been running Bridgestone 020s on the rear of my Busa, stockers on the front. The last one went over 10K miles.
yep 020 will last a while for you.
The BT 020 will last but they always felt greasy to me. Ive been running Q's as of late, I get about 3k out of them. I only got about 1500 out of my BT56.

(DREW @ Dec. 04 2006,00:22) I have been running pilot powers for this entire season. 70 % interstate the rest just touring etc.. about 5000 miles on mine and they both look good. probaly get 8500 ot of the rear at this rate.
wow.gif

how in the world are you getting 8K out of the Powers? My last rear was nearly bald at about 3K!

(bigoltool @ Dec. 04 2006,10:48) Surprising no one has spoken up for the Metzeler Z6's??? My stock BT56 was shagged at 2900 miles, My M3 rear went 4200 miles (front M3 is still going strong) and now I am on a Z6 for the winter. It is slightly Narrower thant the M3 which was slightly narrower than the BT56 (all 190's). So far I like it a lot. Roads are littered with gravel and rain and who knows what this time of year so I think it will serve me well. Let you know how it works out!

Avons new replacement (Storm -ST) for the AV45/46 sounds interesting as well!
I like the z6 road tec c spec. I liked them so much I bought four rears and two fronts. They gave me just over 8000 kilometers the closest was the conti road attack at 6000 kilometer.

http://www.bikeland.org/article....0Z6.pdf

cheers
ken

p.s. 1 km = .62 miles
wink.gif

Just bought a Metzler rear, dealer offered a continental tire that he claimed would last better than double or at least 10K. Harder compound, not for twisties or 1/4 mile runs. Look into a harder compound for what you're doing 6K on factory rear.
beerchug.gif

Friend's Busa just re-placed his BT56 at 7000 miles...cords just starting to show. I've got 3500 on mine...I'll be lucky to get to 5000.

Back