Tyres again (Bridgestone S20, 023 / Michelin Power Pure, Pilot Road 3)

topperdoggle

Registered
Hi all,

I know there are a lot of tyre threads, but we all have questions. :)

My riding is basically fast road commuting, not many twisties but still want to have fun at the weekends. My bike currently runs an old BT020 on the front and BT021 on the rear. Longevity has been good, but they are underwhelming (I suppose all old tyres are).

So I'm looking to change for something else. I've had good experiences with Bridgestone in the past, so am looking at the 023s given my typical riding, but Bridgestone's chooser doesn't recommend them for the Busa. Ditto the Michelin PR3s which I'm interested in, but Michelin's chooser forces the Power Pure for the Busa. I'm not sure how much of this is based on marketing departments wanting to scare hyperbike riders.

I'm happy to have "better" tyres but given that most of my riding is not corners, I'm wary of tyres that will wear too quickly. Plus I'm located in Israel where these things cost a fortune. Quoted 3500 shekels for S20 set - that's nearly $900.

So any advice, preferably from people who have experienced the above tyres on a Busa, is welcome. What does the font of all knowledge think I'll be happy with? Thanks for reading. :)

I run Metzler Sportec M3's :thumbsup: Some people dont like them but bang for the buck ive got my moneys worth out of them while my buddies are replacing thier brand around 3k I'm still riding strong. I ride city/highway all the time and still hang in the turns with the smaller bikes :whistle:

I have run 3 sets of the Michelin PR2s, avg is 7000 to 8000 miles on them and am currently on my 2nd set of PR3s with the same results. They also do great in the rain. Was running Pilot Powers before the PR2 came out, only got around 4000 out of a rear and 5500 out of the front. :)

I've had 1 set of PR2s and a Power front/PR2 rear combo. Both worked very well. I got right at 5000 miles out of both sets, though 5k was pushing the Power front. I had a set of BT-021s, and they were nothing short of junk. Dead feeling, very poor grip, wore out as fast as sport tires, with none of the benefits. Haven't tried the BT-023s.
Of course it's a tire thread, so I'll plug my new personal favorite tires.:laugh:
I've got a Dunlop Q2 front and Roadsmart rear on now. Those are hands down, the best tires I've ever used. Coming up on 4000 miles and the Q2 is barely showing wear on the sides and the Roadsmart rear, even though it's showing quite a bit of wear on the edges, is the best gripping ST tire I've had. Centers of both are doing well.

I've had 1 set of PR2s and a Power front/PR2 rear combo. Both worked very well. I got right at 5000 miles out of both sets, though 5k was pushing the Power front. I had a set of BT-021s, and they were nothing short of junk. Dead feeling, very poor grip, wore out as fast as sport tires, with none of the benefits. Haven't tried the BT-023s.
Of course it's a tire thread, so I'll plug my new personal favorite tires.:laugh:
I've got a Dunlop Q2 front and Roadsmart rear on now. Those are hands down, the best tires I've ever used. Coming up on 4000 miles and the Q2 is barely showing wear on the sides and the Roadsmart rear, even though it's showing quite a bit of wear on the edges, is the best gripping ST tire I've had. Centers of both are doing well.

I've ran the Q2 front and Roadsmart rear and loved it also. I only got right at 7000 before the sides were gone on the rear.

If your paying that much in Israel, I'd get the Dunlop Roadsmart tires. They grip like just short of Q2s and will last a long, long time. Best for your money. $900 for tires is messed up. Can't you find someone in the black market to get you a set cheaper? Can you buy any cheaper in a nieghboring country and just throw them in the car and drive them home?

Thanks all who contributed. I'll reply fully later, but shocking that Michelin only recommend the Power Pure when "lesser" tyres obviously do very well on the Busa.

Right, my garage has - in stock - in increasing expense order:
Michelin Pilot Power 2078 shekels
Dunlop Roadsmart 2330
Michelin Pilot Road 3 / Pilot Pure 2550
Metzler M5 2682

Currently 2000 shekels is around $500. :)

The truth is that reading reviews, I probably can't go wrong with any of the above (I'm not a hero), but I would still like any further input based on the above list. I'll be there in an hour and I'll read the thread before I go in!

I don't see the point in Pilot Powers if the PR3s will last so much longer for not much more money but the Roadsmart and M5 are interesting options - would like to hear about longevity, as most of my riding is fast, fairly upright road commuting.

Oh, Spkrdctr, there's a few issues with the neighbouring countries. :laugh:

Back