Going to track for 1st time.

69chevydr

Registered
Getting ready to go to the track(1st time) and would like some info on which gear should I do my burnout in ? I have had mixed answers ,some say 1st.,and I have had others tell my 2nd.gear??

If you dont get in the water you might have a problem spinning the tire on the sticky a-s track. The surface is like glue. I do. I have a problem even if i roll through the water.

Burn out in first. The bikes burning out in second are bar bikes or bikes with slipper clutches.

As for the water. You don't want to ride directly through the main water area. Also, don't back into the actual puddle. You will see a saturated area of concrete to back to. Once your tire is in the wet stand and lift your weight off the bike. Hold the front brake, rev the bike to about 3500-4000 rpm and drop the clutch. You only want the tire to spin over a time or two here.

Now, pull forward out of the water and heat the tire for no more than 5 seconds with a burnout. Again, get your weight off the bike, rev the engine to about 4000 rpm, drop the clutch.

For beginners it is usually OK to skip a burnout altogether. Just ride around the water and line up. There's no reason to risk dropping your bike when you start over a bad burnout.

When you launch start out at 3500rpm, slip the clutch and go. If the engine bogs then increase the rpm by 500. If it still bogs, increase the rpm another 500.

Practice, practice, practice.

i agree, the burnout dont have to be fancy just back in to the water then pull up and do a burnout, like stated above in first gear rev up and drop the clutch while holding the front brake firmly. let it spin just long enough to get all the water off the rear tire. then just pull in the clutch to stop the spin, and ride up to the staging lights, you dont have to spin all the way up to the tree like some people do its just more of a risk if you are new to it!!! make sure you dont ride throught the water with the front tire!!! and make sure you line up in the part of the track that the car tires were in, you dont want to be in the middle of the track were oil and other fluids are dripped on to the track!!

Getting ready to go to the track(1st time) and would like some info on which gear should I do my burnout in ? I have had mixed answers ,some say 1st.,and I have had others tell my 2nd.gear??
if you're going to be at capital raceway on friday, come talk to me. I'll be there with a few other busa's.

Thanks ALL for the answers I have been practicing in 1st gear a few burnouts with the new tire and just backing a little into some water seems to work fine.Waiting for my leather pants to show up in about a week then will either go to Cecil County or Capitol Raceway to try a few 1/8th. mile passes. I have a NHRA license for a car ,need to test for the bike.Thanks Picture of my Busa

IMG_0864.JPG

do keep the water off the front tire... tucking the front tire rolling up on the starting line could be a drag..

do keep the water off the front tire...  tucking the front tire rolling up on the starting line could be a drag..
I've seen more that one bike sling water on the undertail/fender in the burnout. They then pull to the starting line only to have it drip on the tire or track.

That is the reason I avoid the water with treaded tires. If the track is too sticky to make a burn out hard to start I usually back into a spot past the burnout box where someone else has tracked water out of it.

Most of the front wheel tucks I have seen is the rider continues to apply the front brake when the bike gets out of shape during or just after the burnout. They then panic and you sometimes see a ugly low speed high-side near the starting line. Or the rear bites and the front lifts and set back down with the brake still applied.

do keep the water off the front tire... tucking the front tire rolling up on the starting line could be a drag..
I've seen more that one bike sling water on the undertail/fender in the burnout. They then pull to the starting line only to have it drip on the tire or track.

That is the reason I avoid the water with treaded tires. If the track is too sticky to make a burn out hard to start I usually back into a spot past the burnout box where someone else has tracked water out of it.

Most of the front wheel tucks I have seen is the rider continues to apply the front brake when the bike gets out of shape during or just after the burnout. They then panic and you sometimes see a ugly low speed high-side near the starting line. Or the rear bites and the front lifts and set back down with the brake still applied.
yep... at least as it warms up it is not such a big problem.. We have been running in the 50 degree air and the water can take a bit of time to dry up... (street tire cars are the biggest culprits and we force them around the water box)

speaking of water... closed tonight due to rain...

I personally go around the water box then back my rear tire in it for the exact reason you mentioned.

Back