Going to the Dragon

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Wont be able to make the bash, my vacation is not until the end of June but I have decided to make a trip to the Dragon (if everything pans out).

Several questions:

1) Comming from Central Florida, it's right at about a 9 hour ride. Some of you veteren tourers...is that to long for a one day straight shot? I thought I'd just take my time and maybe even a couple hour break midway thru...

2) Looking at the hotlels, the "2 Wheel Inn" looks interseting (with a mini garage for your bike), also I see most people for the bash are staying at Phillips Motel (must be a pretty good place). Any motel insight would be appreciated.

3) What about the deals Gap resort, any good...booked up till 2020?

Any other tips and do's, don't(s), must see, don't bothers for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.

Actually not a bad idea from a veteren Gap goer would be to post a "Guide to the Gap for first timers" and make it a sticky.

Wish I could help,never been there myself.Hope it works for ya,have fun.
super.gif

Avoid the tree of shame, trailer your bike to save the rear tire, my place is available overnight coming and going. Enjoy.

If you start early in the morning after a good night's rest, you can do the 9 hours drive. The trick is stop often, take a walk and stretch! Dont forget to lube the chain... Specially if you catch some rain.

I do recommend you go to the motel on arrival and have another good night's rest, good breakfast and you'll be ready to fully appreciate the Dragon!

race.gif

I'll second _ZeF... you don't really want to make it a one day trip~ Get plenty of rest before hitting the Dragon's Tail~ You'll want every one of your senses wide awake and alert for anything Mother Nature may throw your way~

I also have to agree with do3... stay away from the Tree of Shame! At least until you're ready to leave~ It's been known to bring bad mojo to those that admire it before riding the Dragon's Tail~

The Phillip's is a nice place, but there other's that work just as well~ Then there are those that are nasty as hell too... just ask VaBusa! Best bet is to just see what works best for you and your bank account~

Most of all... just take your time and enjoy it~ If you try to slay the Dragon on your first trip through.. you may find yourself beat down~ I'll never claim to have slayed 'er myself... but I have survived the biotch!
wink.gif

I'd stay at the Phillips. 2 Wheel inn is cool with the mini garages, but to come up out of their driveway(which is gravel) and get onto the road, there is a major bump. I almost lost it trying to get out of there.

Of course that may just be me...
laugh.gif
Plus the Phillips is right in town, you can walk to the store if you want to.

And yes, don't touch the tree of shame...  
SHOCKED.gif

I stayed at the two wheel inn last year and i will not this year.Nice place,cool garage,but to far from the dragon.If you wanna go run the dragon it takes bout 20 min to get there,which is no big deal unless your hanging out and you wanna go rip it up quick,plus thats a dry town,no beer!!!I rode 750 miles and had no way to have a couple at the end of a day of riding,half hour away to get a 30 pack,but i did it.This year i will be staying at the campground,i forget what its called (i think its the pumpkin patch) They serve beer and food and there cabins are sweet!!Be safe and have fun!!

I been dry for last decade +, no sweat for me.
beerchug.gif

Perminent designated driver
muscle.gif

At last years christmas party I had two dates, I walked in with a pair of great looking girls, one on each arm much to everyones
eek2.gif

Hubba hubba...tea totaling does have it's advantages.

Well I did it...I'm going. I just booked my room at the phillips, 4 nights 3 days.
super.gif

It seems you have it all covered.

There are many other road to explore besides the Gap:

Hwy 28
Skyway
Parkway

If you have time, head to Blood Mountain in the North Georgia Mountains. Great riding.

If you need service, tires, etc. You have 2 choices:

On the NC side just outside Robbinsville there is Wheelers. Ken is a great guy and will go out of the way to help you out. Plus he offers suspension and dyno tuning.

On the TN side on the way to Maryville, there is 129 Motorcycle Pit Stop. Run by David and Jackie Ramsey. David is an ex Suzuki service tech and very helpful.

Last....when are you going? If I can swing a kitchen pass, I may head that way......

Heading up and be there June 29th - July 2, I'll head home on the 3rd.

Would like the company if you can swing it.

(Justyntym @ Mar. 16 2007,15:21) Heading up and be there June 29th - July 2, I'll head home on the 3rd.

Would like the company if you can swing it.
Will see what I can do.....

I will be the 1st two weekends in June is the latest I have planned so far.

Hmm, I'm off that weekend but that means I'll have the kid. I may try to get up there for a run or two.

I rode up there 2 years ago from St. Pete...in a Tropical Storm...lol

Just remember to take 15 minutes to relax every time you get gas.

A great place to stay overnight on the way up there is the Days Inn located in Ashburn, GA.... right on the west side of I75N. The rates are about 40/night...rooms are clean and they let you park the bike under the overhang against your window!

That is my bit of advice....the more you try to push it the first day....the less comfortable you will be the rest of the trip.

Not sure exactly ghow far it is away from the dragon, but the upstate of SC has some really nice places to ride as well. Caesars head is amazing (kinda like the dragon, but not as twisty, and about a 9% grade up over 5 miles or so) and table rock is really ptretty too.

Definitely get out on the Blue Ridge Parkway if you have the time - lots of GREAT scenery on that road.

I agree with these guys. If you ride all the way here, do sleep before you ride. Ride you own ride and DO NOT try to keep up with anyone. Remind me before you leave out and head up and I will do my best to get over there and ride with you. Heck I haven't even got to ride with Tennbusa yet and he lives 15 to 20 minutes from me. I live about 30 minutes from the overlook.

Lots of good advice here. I think the most important is about being rested and alert before riding. Very important. For the first few passes it will test your awareness. Riding from Robbinsville is good as your tires are nice and warm. Have fun.

Back