Going to the dragon!

Like I said, holler at me when you come up. I'll play tour guide if needed. The Phillips or the Microtel in Robbinsville, NC are both good. Zukracers suggestion for the loop is the best trip for a short stay. You get a good selection of roads in the area. Figure out which you like best and hit it again. The Cherohala Skyway is great for high speed sweepers, the Dragon for quick, sharp twisties, and the Foothills Parkway is full of sweepers.

Dan
Aaaaaahhhhh!
AAAssjani.gif
Stop! I miss those roads!

**sigh**

Vman's 99 miles from the Gap....I'm 799 miles!
sad.gif
I guess it will have to wait until the Spring Bash
down.gif

When you hit the store at the end, look for a yellow goldwing with all kinds of cameras and screens on it. This is "yellow wolf." For $60 he will video you one way through the gap. Believe me, unless you are Mat Mladin, you will not outride him.
tounge.gif

another option?..if the roads are screwed at the gap?...would be this...out of robbinsville?...run 129/19 south down through Murphy and into N. GA....and stay on 129S until you see a sign for SR180...and hang a right..this is "Wolfspen Gap RD"....which will run you straight into HWY60 in Suches, GA...then hang a left at the BP station and a 100 yards on your right is where the T.W.O. (Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort) is...stop in...not to be missed...have a cold drink and then?..continue south on Hwy 60...which will run you into a 19N cutoff RD...(note: if ya hit delonahga?..you went a little to far and missed the 19/11/9 cut-off..then?...brace yerself...for one of the best uphill mountain runs there is actually the old south section of "129N"....super banked curves...then?..stay on 19/9N and pick-up 348 south..."Richard Russell Expressway"....non-stop sweet 45mph sweepers and very scenic...and then just run 75 south and pick up 11/129N again which'll start running ya back home to robbinsville taking you through all the good stuff again except goin the opposite direction...and if yer good?....and got an early start?...you should be pulling into robbinsville just as the sun is falling...with one of the best runs of your life tucked securely under yer lid.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Is'nt that the truth busapilot911 ,lol...
this guy lays that big bird down in the gap. +101 on the drive thru once thru the dragon first that would be a smart move .I was up there from the 24th of june to the 31st and had a awesome time . Us Florida guys thank we can ride untill you ride the dragon ,its a total learning experience
smile.gif
and a great one.Dont get caught up in the (I can stay up with this guy ) and it easy to do bro. last year I went and we had met this guy from TN. an older guy at the CROT. started talking and we had asked him about a road called, a road to nowhere ,and if he new where it was ,sure he says.So after hanging out for a little bit we took off he's on a SV my buddy on a Z1000 and me on my Busa ,now I had already ridin the dragon many times that week and my confindence was peaking ,This guy on the SV starts to freaking crank thru the turns like a bat out of hell dude ,my buddy calls me on the chatterbox ,heads up bro lets try to stay up with this old timer ,now we are not no spring chickens ,Im 42 and my buddy is 53 ,this guy is older than that lol...... So we dive in faster than we had been the whole week ,hanging off the bike ,dragging pegs not my knee only had jeans on lol..anyway this guy ends up eating us alive thru the gap we come out at the overlook at the end , Dude let me tell you something i was sweating like a pig and shaking from Adrenalin that i had to get off the bike and walk it off ,There was so many times that I could have bought the farm and didnt Thank you God.I always conciderd myself as a good rider untill you go to the dragon .Us flat landers come home with defentaly more respect for the Mountain Riding .You will come back in no dought more experience in riding twisties. So play it safe up there dont go in cocky thinking you know how to ride those type of roads ,Cause you Dont Bro.
smile.gif
Be safe ,have fun and come back to your family . thats my 20cents, hehehe.......

Peace bro.

smile.gif

I thought someone said they were doing road work on it right now and there was lots of gravel on the road there  
rock.gif

rock.gif
Tons of gravel just went up there the 26th on way to Kentucky in the car and man they got the gravel everywhere gonna be some nasty wrecks till the rains clean it up..If you go be extra careful . And by all means do not I mean DO NOT cross the center line . Have fun and dont stay on the dragon be surprised on all the roads around there . Long sweepers pretty views and plenty of people..

rock.gif

BUsa_bill, I'm up there several times a month and I get schooled each and every time I ride through there. Granted now, I'm on a Busa instead of a gixxer but it's regular. The ones I enjoy watching the most are the motards. Those guys can absolutely fly across the Gap.

TJ, I'll probably only make it for one day and which one is up for grabs right now. But yeah, I should be able to make it

I'm headed to CROT for a burger this afternoon. I'll let you know what the roads look like.

Dan.

I appreciate all the info guys. I am sure I will be schooled at the gap. I will do the dragon of course, but I am really looking forward to the other roads and the mountain views.

I am heading up on Friday and will ride Sat and Sun if anyone is interested. My buddy that is going with me and will have his wife with him one out of the two days, so may be a scenic ride one of those days. I dont see them doing the gap.

TennBusa, I hope you can make it. One more thing what is the CROT thing? I know it is a restaurant, but at the entrance of the dragon?

T.J.

Hey Dan I know you have road Shaddy Valley right ? in Mountain City TN. Theres another great great ride if know one has ever ,went up there 2wks ago .

I will be there the 5th and 6th of August.  I am not there to put a knee down, but to enjoy some mountains.  Florida sucks for scenery!  Thanks for the comments
If you ever plan a trip in the summer you have to post up.  I'd ride up with you in a heartbeat.  I want to plan a trip for summer of 07'  I have never been to the gap and I really want to get up in those mtns.
BTW I think our riding styles might be similar. I am not a knee dragger either and love to enjoy the scenery as much as ride. I still like to go fast but not all the time. I dont have a complex about being passed.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Bruiserman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154278457 -->

Bruiserman,

We are one in the same. I will do my occasional blast to 150 but rare. There are very limited roads in Florida to ride and drop a knee down. My other friend rides about 5-10mph over the speed limit, always. He did give me 140mph fly by last weeekend and I almost fell off the bike.

One more thing. Went to Dukes in Orlando last Thursday. You should check it out. Lee Road about 1 mile west of I4. Bunch of Busas and very mixed crowd. We had a good time.

we have gone twice so this year once at the end of june for a week with the wifes and then a week later me and a buddy went for 4days up to NC.Got on the Blue ridge @ Maggy Valley and road it to Boon then to Mountain City and road them roads for a day and half ,went into Virginia road for a little while found some nice ones there too. also hit Shady Valley ,its almost like 3 deals gaps in one area not qwight thoe . then stopped on the way back to Hendersonill NC. and hit little Switzerland great road by the way put on about 2-250 miles per day and got off every min.of it. lol...

Did I hear there having the Busa Bash @ the Gap in Sept? We are planning on going back up in Sept. What date?and time

I've been to Shady Valley one time last year. You're right, it is a blast. The Dragon's only about 45 minutes from the house though.

I went up this afternoon and made 2 passes with a burger in between. I only saw gravel in 2 turns and they were on the outside of the turn. I did see 3 wrecks in those two passes though. That didn't include the idiot that came across the centerline on me with all 4 wheels locked up two switchbacks below the overlook. Thought I was gonna be a hood ornament for sure. Whew. All I know it was green with flat black bumpers. I was a little busy dodging to even see what it was. I did see those bumpers up close and personal though.

Dan

Bruiserman,

We are one in the same.  I will do my occasional blast to 150 but rare.  There are very limited roads in Florida to ride and drop a knee down. My other friend rides about 5-10mph over the speed limit, always.  He did give me 140mph fly by last weeekend and I almost fell off the bike.

One more thing.  Went to Dukes in Orlando last Thursday.  You should check it out.  Lee Road about 1 mile west of I4.  Bunch of Busas and very mixed crowd.  We had a good time.
Is that every Thursday? I know that area. Will try and make it. Let me know when the next get together is.

I went to Hooters once and there were cops everywhere and a crazy number of bikes. It was a mad house.
Was interesting and entertaining for a little while.
Would like to find a local group of Busa guys to hang with and talk ####.

Later
B

Yea it is every Thurs., The cops are there but they don’t usually don’t mess with anyone, unless you initiate it, lol, I use to go every wk. but it’s been busy around here like to go maybe this Thursday haven’t been for at least 2 months. But then they usually go to Orlando av. to do bike tricks .Its cool, you see a least 200 bikes there, in and out of there in a night.

Bill

Back