Going to the dragon!

quikbusa

Donating Member
Registered
I know, dont kill myself. It is kind of last minute, but I am going to Indiana and decided to stop in the mountains and ride a couple days. I have a firend going up with his busa to ride also. I am happy to have someone with me.

Any tips would be appreciated. I still plan on rolling the busa in the motel room with me, but I promise I wont sleep on it! I am afraid to leave it in the back of the truck!

What you got for me Dragon Experts. I am excited to finally go!

well the dragon is only really good early in the day or after say 5-6pm. Area roads not to be missed

The skyway
Hwy28 between CROT & Hwy 169 (turn to Robbinsville)
Foothills Parkway
If you have time, the loop from CROT up the skyway, down 360 and back up via 129 (with a stop through the foothills) to the CROT. Thats an afternoon full but worth it
cool.gif

well the dragon is only really good early in the day or after say 5-6pm.  Area roads not to be missed

The skyway
Hwy28 between CROT & Hwy 169 (turn to Robbinsville)
Foothills Parkway
If you have time, the loop from CROT up the skyway, down 360 and back up via 129 (with a stop through the foothills) to the CROT.  Thats an afternoon full but worth it
cool.gif
+100

I thought someone said they were doing road work on it right now and there was lots of gravel on the road there
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

Go to: http://tailofthedragon.com and print out a couple of the area maps!
When on the Dragon, stay in your lane and hug the white line on "blind turns"... There's a section on the website on "Tips for riding the Dragon" http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_howtoride.html

***Wear your gear, have fun, and take lots of pics!!!

***Also, it's a good idea to read the home page of the Dragon website for road conditions, traffic, special events, and weather!

<!--EDIT|HOLLYWOOD33
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153776056 -->

I thought someone said they were doing road work on it right now and there was lots of gravel on the road there  
rock.gif

rock.gif
They are doing a little work on the TN side of the Gap. Alot of gravel work to bring the pull offs up to roadway height.

A car damaged its oil pan a month or so back is what prompted this.

Killboy and crew do their best to remove as much as possible.

rock.gif

I will be there the 5th and 6th of August. I am not there to put a knee down, but to enjoy some mountains. Florida sucks for scenery! Thanks for the comments

Vman,

I am really not sure. I am still looking into the area and stuff. I need to find a hotel and maps etc. You are welcome to join us, but they guy I am coming with does not ride fast. Go figure, has a busa and rides slow!

We are doing it for the scenery. How far are you?

if possible avoid the weekend-don't worry about the locals-tyhey'll get around you real quick---

Vman,

I am really not sure.  I am still looking into the area and stuff.  I need to find a hotel and maps etc.  You are welcome to join us, but they guy I am coming with does not ride fast. Go figure, has a busa and rides slow!

We are doing it for the scenery.  How far are you?
I live 99 miles from the Gap.

You could say I am a regular, lol. I have been there 7 times so far this year.

Vman,

I am really not sure.  I am still looking into the area and stuff.  I need to find a hotel and maps etc.  You are welcome to join us, but they guy I am coming with does not ride fast. Go figure, has a busa and rides slow!

We are doing it for the scenery.  How far are you?
I live 99 miles from the Gap.

You could say I am a regular, lol. I have been there 7 times so far this year.
i live within 30 miles---been there 2 times this year  lol
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|lot boy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153790473 -->

Like I said, holler at me when you come up. I'll play tour guide if needed. The Phillips or the Microtel in Robbinsville, NC are both good. Zukracers suggestion for the loop is the best trip for a short stay. You get a good selection of roads in the area. Figure out which you like best and hit it again. The Cherohala Skyway is great for high speed sweepers, the Dragon for quick, sharp twisties, and the Foothills Parkway is full of sweepers.

Dan

I booked a room at the two wheel inn. They had one room left. I am glad they each come with the garage for the bikes. Let me know if you guys are up for some riding Sat or Sun. PM me if needed.

T.J.

I would recomend doing a slow pass the first time on the dragon to check for leos and road conditions. Also avoid the weekends if possible. Check out killboy.com for their suggestions. Stuff like try to stay to the inside of the curves, stay in your comfort zone, and remember it's not a track it's a public road....there will be trucks, cars, mini vans, and of course other riders to watch out for etc. You don't want to be the guy who is getting his bike pulled back up off the side of the mountain in pieces. I have been up several times this year and it is always fun...even when they were doing the construction we had fun. It's a great road and there are several other great ones in the area. Just use your head and have a great time. I would be glad to meet you but I'll be working. So have a good time and try the burgers and onion rings at the grill they are great
smile_face_r.gif

WHATEVER YOU DO...MAKE SURE YOU STAY ON THE TN SIDE OF THE BORDER AND NOT IN NC. The NC side is completely dry. No serving of any adult beverages anywhere, not even in resteraunts.

Back