get the bike you want, not the bike you should

gsxter

Registered
That is looping through my head...

new member/poster here..

Last November, I bought a new Harley Sporster 1200 Custom. Mistake.

Never loved riding it, but it was my first real bike, since having a scooter in high school. I'm now 43.

My g/f-partner of 14 years was so convinced that a sport bike would be too dangerous, so she steered me toward a cruiser. But, deep down, I'm SUCH a sport bike guy. It didn't help that in the mid '90's she had and bought a mod'ed Ninja that scared the hell out of her, when she rode it around Cornell (Ithaca, NY) --- canyons, hills, etc.. perhaps that wasn't the best fit for her.

But this past August, with a lot of research, I bought a white, used 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600, with just 2300 miles on it. LOVE.... it fits and rides like a glove, and I've been the happiest mo-fo riding that baby.... to work twice a week, and on weekends, throughout our hilly Northern California back roads here in the Bay Area.

The better suspension, acceleration, lighter weight for what it is, better braking, make it safer than any cruiser in my opinion. It's counterintuitive for some. Yes sport bikes can accelerate fast, but there's more to it than just speed. Such finely tuned machines. I've never been one to be very tempted by trying dangerous things though... I'm too much of a cautious boy scout and make sure I know what I'm doing before I get into it.

http://www.hunterleebrown.com/gallery/gsxr600New

So this leaves me here on the 'busa forum. What to do with my Harley, which really needs a better home. Well, I've got the "Hunster" listed on cycletrader.com (did craigslist earlier), and we'll see if I can get an inkling of the cash I shelled out for it. (I'll never do factory customization again.... not worth it)... still the Harley is pretty, I just don't like riding it.

I'm fortunate enough to have two bikes, and can continue to do so. I don't want to replace the GSXr, just the Harley -- with another sport bike, but something bigger, for longer trips. Pashnit's site and the gsxr.com forum pointed to the 'busa as a great alternative or solution for a sport tourer. At first I was a bit surprised, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more lust sets in.

The Hayabusa is gorgeous, and it would be cool to be a part of the Hayabusa community, who are very passionate.

So, I'm worried at my experience level, if I should hold off and work up to it, or just go for it. I've never had a death wish, passed my MSF class with flying colors, handle my GSX-r and Harley fine... I'm sure I'll love the Hayabusa.

Thinking about going on long trips, on a Hayabusa, I'm already happy just thinking about it.

OR I may be so green, and just crazy ;-)

- Hunter

PS: I don't want a big traditional sport tourer, or some BMW overpriced thing that I think are boring... I'm not getting any younger -- don't want that "gentleman's" motorcycle yet (or ever).

Welcome to the oRg. I own an 09 busa and a 13 BMW 1600GT, toured on both, both have positives and minuses. The busa makes a great sport touring bike. Pashnit may be the leader in this category, and he is also a member here and a site sponsor. You cant go wrong on the busa, my wife has done over 10k miles on the back of a busa.

You can't go wrong with a Hayabusa, in my opinion they are the cadillacs of sport bikes. They are cruisers when you want, and beasts when you need it.

Iv'e ridden and owned a few 600's and up. Recently I decided to buy a 99, and this is by far the most comfortable, best performing machine I have ever ridden. I will never own another motorcycle, other than a Hayabusa.

I've owned Harleys, Honda's, Yamaha's, Kawi's and a few different Suzuki's dating back as far in age as a 79 KZ250 and as current as my 2011 Hayabusa...I've never rode anything quite like Black Betty, whether its carving corners, cruising the highway a few hundred miles at a time or taking my old lady out for a spin she meets all my needs...I too was once in awe of the mystical Hayabusa then I bought my 2005 Hayabusa LE and fell in love, ill never again be without one in my garage...

If your concerned at all about the power differences from the GSXR600 to the Hayabusa the second gen models come with a A, B and C drive mode which each provide reduced engine performance and are a great way for a new to the Hayabusa Rider to get comfortable with the motorcycle slowly increasing the power usage as your comfort level on the bike increases.

Its true the busa does everything well. If your worried about the bike the biggest thing to me was the weight not the power. I went from a ZUK 500 to the busa with no problem. Good luck and where's some pictures of that 600 :laugh:

Here's my GSX-R 600 if you missed the link to my gallery :-)

I added the requisite Yoshimura Fender eliminator kit, etc..

Also, if you want, I have some helmet cam videos on youtube. The Local ABC affiliate used my g/f's, Tracey's footage (with my helmet cam) of the first crossing of the new Eastern span of the Oakland-SF Bay Bridge when it opened... she was riding her '78 Honda CB 400

youtube link: Hunter Brown - YouTube

20130810_3115.jpg

visor.jpg

cropped19.jpg

Welcome aboard. I have a Gsxr600 and a Busa so I got some experience riding both. I too had apprehension about buying a busa at first but pulled the trigger on a great deal. So glad that I made decision, will not be without one again if I can help it.

The biggest thing for me was just getting used to the weight and the difference in the amount torque. The throttle is smooth and it is a well mannered bike but don't be fooled she will surely respond if you twist that wrist

weight and girth are indeed the biggest issues between the GSX-R600 and the Hayabusa.

However, a Harley Sportster 1200 Custom weights about the same as a Hayabusa.... which tells you, there's something wrong in the state of Milwaukee ... ;-) (with the Sportster being the smallest bike in the line up -- until just last week with the "Street" announcement)

I have dumped my Harley, somewhat gently coming in for a "hot" landing onto what I didn't know was gravel, after some ****ing pick up truck was on my ass. Foot slipped, and down on the right side she went, scratching the black matte paint on the low pipes, and bending my brake handle back some, and loosening my brake foot lever a bit. I got really mad, mostly... and felt like an idiot. I was able to ride the 50 miles back home fine. However, once "it" finally happened, I sort of felt good about it because I had experienced it, and knew what to expect to ward off in the future... BUT there was one other slight minor lean/drop, again, stopping quickly and putting my foot down in the dark, and not realizing the roadside/gutter was angled.... and the ground was that much farther from my foot. So gentle though, nothing got hurt.

Righting any 570lbs bike is a challenge. Thankfully the 'busa seat height is pretty low..

I do live in a hilly area, and worry about some stop signs at the crest of a hill. It's awesome that the GSX-R weighs so little, and I can hold the bike at a stop, from going backwards... but with the Harley too, have to be mindful and remember that the back brake is on your right foot for a reason... so use it when starting out.

we shall see... I almost wish there was a Hayabusa hater's forum, so I could see the con's.. (which as we all know here, there aren't any...) :-)

Welcome! That Suzuki is a beauty, but the 'Busa is much more of a "touring" bike than the 600. It's longer, wider, and heavier, so it's not as nimble as the 600, but it's extremely comfortable on long rides. PS You missed a "t" in "Sporster" in your signature line.

Welcome aboard. I almost settled for a cruiser because my wife had been on the youtube checking out how fast people are riding Busas. She totally disagrees with the purchase that I made in September. I'm glad I didn't listen to her and end up like that. Good luck with getting rid of the cruiser or maybe you can convince your wife to ride it.

go get it if you want it and can afford it. it wont do anything you dont tell it to do. great bike. bullet proof. enjoy. and it wont leak

The busa is one of those bikes which in a way is a bit of a secret. How so? Yes, it is VERY popular however, most people think of drag racing when it comes to the busa and that is where the secret lies. I've raced superbike/supersport on my R6 for over 5 years and have also ridden quite a few trackdays, attended schools...etc... so, I am relatively used to carving up turns. My friend bought a 2013 Hayabusa and let me take it for a spin and that's what sold me...the bike was mild mannered at low speeds and the handling was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Personally, I cannot stand riding a supersport bike on the street, they feel "boring" to me unless I am going all out in a turn and I cannot do that on the street safely. Coming from racing 600's the power is of course something of a fun shock but one that requires the upmost respect on the busa. Overall, I think the busa is a great sport touring bike as it is comfortable, handles well, and is easy to ride fast or slow. From one 600 rider to another, just take your time and get to learn the bike and I think you will be completely fine. It only took me a few rides until the busa and I bonded and I honestly started feeling one with the bike. I've owned many different bikes and not a single one ever felt so good to me so quickly.

Good luck!

Hey all... well, I sold the Harley today. YAY!... It's riding season for sure again... I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on getting a Busa. I just wish I could test ride one. A couple new 2013s on clearance have got me goin.... It's hard to be patient and rational in deciding on getting the "second" bike. What a terrible, terrible situation and problem I'm in... ;-)

Back