get the bike you want, not the bike you should

If your concerned at all about the power differences from the GSXR600 to the Hayabusa the second gen models come with a A, B and C drive mode which each provide reduced engine performance and are a great way for a new to the Hayabusa

I've never understood that. If you are worried about the power, don't get on the throttle!

Far as I've read, the drive modes are there not for the consumer, but so that the bikes have the switches from factory and they can use them in racing.

I'm late to this discussion, but I too started with a Harley...bought a brand new 883 Sportster in 2001, rode it a bit, hated how much my butt hurt after just an hour, hated that I couldn't even carry my wallet on it without spending a small fortune on some bag for the bike...I never felt like I was a Harley girl anyway, and I loved the Busa, so I bought a brand new 2003 and never looked back.

I did take the MSF class in between these two purchases, but in my mind they were the same weight, both have two wheels and it's completely up to me what I do with the throttle on the Busa. Eleven years later, I've never once regretted selling that 883, so enjoy whatever you choose and don't over think anything beyond the gear you buy.

Good luck!!

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Can't you find a dealership nearby that will let you test drive one?

no, not in these parts. The only demo you can get, possibly is if Suzuki has a demo event set up say like at the annual local Progressive Motorcycle show, and then if it's not raining. Usually in November here in the Bay Area, Calif. is when the Progressive show comes to town. Dealers also don't have a lot of "demo" rides, and they always fault insurance reasons. Harley, is different. They have gobs of machines and don't mind test drives at all for some reason. But your average Japanese dealer is less generous here. At one time, I did have Triumph dealer tell me I could test drive a Daytona, of all things, but only if I was really, really serious. How would I be really serious unless I test drove it? ;-)

Just sit on a Busa, rock it side to side to feel it's weight.
Walk it backwards while on it, walk beside it and push it.
Any decent dealer should let you do that.
If you feel comfortable on it then, that's all you really need to know.
The Busa is heavy, and you can feel it when you ride. However, many of us have no chicken strips and easily do the same things on a Busa that we can on a 600. The Busa does everything well. Don't let anyone tell you a Busa can't handle, corner, or wheelie, if they do, they can't ride or are simply an idiot.
Don't worry about the power either. The Busa is as easy to ride slow as it is fast. It's all in the wrist.
Bottom line, if you feel comfortable sitting on the Busa and like the riding position, you'll like riding it too.
You already had a heavy non handling Harley, you can handle a Busa.:beerchug:

Back