Gen2 with 6,000 mile oil changes from now on

mark3evo

Registered
as the Gen3 has new increased service interval - i might just follow their advice

i have always followed 3,500 to 4,000 intervals and swapped filter out at the manual stated 11,000 miles
at 102,000 strip down this year - i inspected everything and it was in pristine condition and no sludge anywhere.

so i see issue in the increased interval plus most of my rides are 100 miles +

what does every guy and gal think ?

as the Gen3 has new increased service interval - i might just follow their advice

i have always followed 3,500 to 4,000 intervals and swapped filter out at the manual stated 11,000 miles
at 102,000 strip down this year - i inspected everything and it was in pristine condition and no sludge anywhere.

so i see issue in the increased interval plus most of my rides are 100 miles +

what does every guy and gal think ?
If it works why change it. Since you did a stripdown you know for sure it's all good. I find manufacturers are leaning more these days towards a service schedule interval that saves you money and benefits them in the long run. I don't trust the new service schedules for any equipment I buy. Always bites me in the ass. Do it the old way. Works better.

If it works why change it. Since you did a stripdown you know for sure it's all good. I find manufacturers are leaning more these days towards a service schedule interval that saves you money and benefits them in the long run. I don't trust the new service schedules for any equipment I buy. Always bites me in the ass. Do it the old way. Works better.
yes i have confidence - save some $$$

if i was doing a lot short runs to the shops 5 miles - always thought it was the condensate which messed up oil

Oil analysis with most any oil, the oil will be in better condition, and with less particulates in it at 4k miles vs 6k miles, that's a large percentage of increased use.
Visually the engine looks great inside? Great.
Engine manufacturers want to push it as far as they can(while it's in warranty) with as little cost to them.
If you don't get higher mileage in the long run, that's not their concern(but it can make them money).
Alot of small variables go into engine life.
Good oil is cheap insurance, and most oil available today is good quality, regardless of brand.
Change your oil when you like, but I don't belive that extended service intervals are as good for an engine in the long run.
Heat breaks oil down, and oil circulates trash(engine shavings and induction dirt) through the engine, which we hope the filter catches, so extending the useag time by 30-50% , seems excessive and not the best idea for an engine that spins at 11k rpm.
Just my 2 cents

Oil analysis with most any oil, the oil will be in better condition, and with less particulates in it at 4k miles vs 6k miles, that's a large percentage of increased use.
Visually the engine looks great inside? Great.
Engine manufacturers want to push it as far as they can(while it's in warranty) with as little cost to them.
If you don't get higher mileage in the long run, that's not their concern(but it can make them money).
Alot of small variables go into engine life.
Good oil is cheap insurance, and most oil available today is good quality, regardless of brand.
Change your oil when you like, but I don't belive that extended service intervals are as good for an engine in the long run.
Heat breaks oil down, and oil circulates trash(engine shavings and induction dirt) through the engine, which we hope the filter catches, so extending the useag time by 30-50% , seems excessive and not the best idea for an engine that spins at 11k rpm.
Just my 2 cents

some good points...
Gen3 boys will no doubt follow the schedule, but as Bee said i'm unlikely to do 5,000 this year so will change anyway

i used to ride 12,000 miles per year

I hate changing oil on the busa so much that I got the oil tested to see how long amsoil was safe to run. I was hoping that the better oil would be ok for 10k miles but lab test results showed it was done at 5k miles or so. The wet clutch design doesn’t help oil last longer. I didn’t see the point of running amsoil if I was going to change it at 3-4K miles anyways so I’ve been running rotella instead. I don’t put many miles on my bike but still hate doing the oil change. The concours14 on the other is a dream to change oil.

What rotella are you running? I run the synthetic 5w-40 in the 92 1100 for many years now. Thinking of using that same oil in the busa.

I personally run T6 in 15w-40, but some members run T4
Hi. It will depend on what fuel I run. We will change oil after the break in. Also check oil half way throught the tune and change if needed. I will change oil after the race or may be ever other day at the races. Looks like I will be running pump 93 on the street and VP C16 and VP M1 at the races. I will be using hapless rings too.

As you know Mark, I change mine every year. I don't do the mileage anymore, but when i did i was changing the oil every 3,000 miles. Nowdays the oil is nearly as clean comming out as when it went in lol. But as you know i stock up on oil when the price is good.
Do what you will be happy with, Just remember you have spent some money on your engine this year. If it was me i would be changing the oil and filter at 600 miles and then every 3000 to keep my investment the best i can. I know you are now retired, and cost of living is high, so understand your thinking.

Last edited:
As Mark knows, I just bought 6 x 4ltr Castrol Power 1 T4 10w/40 for £22.40 each. I have 3 bikes OTR so thats will last me till 2024.

Back