Wasabi Goes to the Spa (A Gen2 at 40K Miles)

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
As many of you know, last week Wasabi spent the four days at Fun Bike Center undergoing a major systems inspection and rejuvenation.

With 40,000 miles on her, it was time to take care of some rather important items…inspect a few areas which had yet to be ‘opened up’, and generally start again with the service schedule.

Apparently, 40,000 miles is unaddressed territory in the maintenance schedule on a Gen2, so it’s anyone’s estimation what to do…

Here’s a brief list of the items which my ‘wrench’ employed on Wasabi.

Aside from the usual items germane to service; new spark plugs, oil, filters, fluids, etc., inspections and adjustments; Wasabi got

a new chain
sprockets front and rear
fork oil replacement
new fork seals
steering head bearing inspection
steering head bearing replacement with repacking​

Then, inspected and lubed:
the exhaust valve
emission system
performed the throttle valve synch (with SDS (?)),
adjusted and lubed the throttle cable
lubed the clutch, and
checked and tightened all major fasteners, nuts & bolts.​

Impressively, but not surprisingly, each and every valve measured clearance perfectly in spec.

At this time, the requirements of the current Technical Service Bulletin were reviewed.

Here following are some pictures of Wasabi in a state of deconstruction as she enjoyed her time ‘off the road’.

I retrieved her last Friday after work, and gave her a shake-down on Sunday. It’s as if she is a brand new bike. (Saturday was Fun Bike’s SummerFest event, so I was committed to spending all day with them.)

#1 of 10 Steering Head and Triple Clamp, without fork.

#2.JPG

Last edited:
The steering head bearing was found to be nearly out of grease. It was notched and grooved and definitely needed replacement. Aaron told me that when moved back and forth, he could feel the notches. Of course, in this controlled environment, that's not hard to imagine...in the real-world usage scenario, you'd easily imagine any feedback from any sensory point to be from asphalt impurities...until such time, of course, as it got so advanced as to be unmistakeable.

I'm completely happy with the way this service was conducted. The end result makes the means and the expense completely worthwhile.

:beerchug:

Can see the pix at work. Glad wasabis like new. Now grip it and rip it as Don says :thumbsup:

What about the swing arm bearings? And Ummm clean that radiator, that beetle there in the lower left has been there for the last 39,000 (s)miles. :poke: That's some CIS sheet right there. :rofl:

Have you thought about your next bike yet? :laugh: Glad she's running great and ready to take you for another 40k. :thumbsup:

So, how do you keep this bearing lubricated without having to do a complete tear down?

So, how do you keep this bearing lubricated without having to do a complete tear down?
is no way.. the grease was not there in the first place.. Slow moving bearing does not need much in the first place.

Now a guy could get real fancy and put a fitting in but probably overkill when all it takes is a bit of grease on assy and too much would gum up the works

I think Scar has found a calling... "wearing out motorcycles" :)

is no way.. the grease was not there in the first place.. Slow moving bearing does not need much in the first place.

:)

Don't know if you're joking on this one or not, Randy, but there really was grease there in the first place. Its residue was rather evident.

Right, though; there is no way to grease that without tearing a tear-down.

What about the swing arm bearings? And Ummm clean that radiator, that beetle there in the lower left has been there for the last 39,000 (s)miles. :poke: That's some CIS sheet right there. :rofl:

The Wrench didn't seem to think those would be an issue, Russ. At least at this juncture. Maybe in another 10k miles or so; and I'll surely ask about it.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Apparently, it's only an item of concern (on heavier bikes) with seriously high miles or punishing use.

Have you thought about your next bike yet? :laugh: Glad she's running great and ready to take you for another 40k. :thumbsup:

Hope to keep Wasabi running like a 'top' until the Gen3 is introduced, then retire her.

Thanks Scar, for the indepth detailed account of what to look for and/or expect on a somewhat high mileage Gen2!
You're extremely lucky to have a "wrench" that obviously knows what he's doing!!

Thanks Scar, for the indepth detailed account of what to look for and/or expect on a somewhat high mileage Gen2!
You're extremely lucky to have a "wrench" that obviously knows what he's doing!!

No worries, Jimbo! I know you, in particular, were interested to know what to anticipate.

:beerchug:

Back