Gen 2 Busa comparison to Gen 2 VMax - personal opinion

Read the thread title - it is his PERSONAL OPINION.....

Why do some people get so bloody defensive when someone criticises the mighty Busa?

I would be happy to ride a V-Max.....a mate has one, and they rip.

Why do some people get so bloody defensive when someone criticises the mighty Busa?

It's OK to have a personal opinion.

It's also OK for someone else to have a different opinion.

And, it's also OK for people to agree to disagree, without getting their panties wet.

Here is my personal opinion:

1.) The only place a 600 will hang with a Busa is on a race track, nowhere else.
2.) The only place a VMax will hang with a 600, is on a 1/4mile drag strip, nowhere else.
3.) When it comes to so-called comfort, a VMax won't hang with a 600 either, ever done 500 miles at 70/80mph highway speeds in one day on a naked bike?
4.) The VMax is in the "Chopper" class, it is more of a fashion statement than a bike.

I have to disagree with ya on that one. I have a first generation V-Max which doesn't hold a candle to the new ones, and I have found it to be very comfortable for long distances, it is creeping up on 100K miles so it has seen some distance. And in the handling dept. it is no Ducati, but I have dusted plenty of squids on supersport bikes downn at Deals Gap and worn thru a few sets of foot pegs . As always skill will take you much further than anything else and just because Mat Maladin is fast on a certain bike doesn't mean you are just by buying one.

I have to disagree with ya on that one. I have a first generation V-Max which doesn't hold a candle to the new ones, and I have found it to be very comfortable for long distances, it is creeping up on 100K miles so it has seen some distance. And in the handling dept. it is no Ducati, but I have dusted plenty of squids on supersport bikes downn at Deals Gap and worn thru a few sets of foot pegs . As always skill will take you much further than anything else and just because Mat Maladin is fast on a certain bike doesn't mean you are just by buying one.

In Italy we say:<<è il manico che conta>>...we can translate :it's your wrist who rules
If you (with a V-max genI)dust someone with a supersport YOU are a good rider and the others are twat or "mobile chicanes" or they drive no-torque 600s ...

Well, isn't the whole point of posting an opinion to stir up debate and hear conflicting opinions?

Have to agree with you though mate: the V-Max is more than just a fashion statement. Not my cup of tea to be sure, but looks like it'd be a blast to ride!

They have a touring windshield for the V- Max, wind wouldn't be a factor for long an highway riding. That mod is common for most cruisers :)

Add the saddle bags, the touring screen, the performance computer, the 240 kit to the retail price, gets way out of a lot of peoples hands who would have loved to enjoy that ride. But those with the means are enjoying a fun bike to ride :thumbsup:

I'm just stirring to keep the thread going.:laugh:

Would not mind a V-Max either, but it will be at the bottom of my list and the stable is full at the moment. It is not selling very well though.

No way I would fit a wimpshield on one if I had one. Naked bikes are fun for a reason.

The VMax is a pig in an elephant suit vs. the Busa :laugh: Just my 2c.

If you follow any of the litre bike forums, that's pretty much how some of them describe our beloved busa. With it being a much larger bike and some 50-60kgs heavier they believe it to be a pig.

Of course we being in general older, wiser, more educated than the narrow minded simpletons that would make such a statement know they are wrong and realize everything is relative to what you want out of a bike and we simply choose to ignore these sort of people.

Isn't age, wisdom and patience a wonderful thing.:laugh:

Last edited:
If you follow any of the litre bike forums, that's pretty much how some of them describe our beloved busa. With it being a much larger bike and some 50-60kgs heavier they believe it to be a pig.

Of course we being in general older, wiser, more educated than the narrow minded simpletons that would make such a statement know they are wrong and realize everything is relative to what you want out of a bike and we simply choose to ignore these sort of people.

The Busa IS a heavy pig compared to a 1000 CC sportbike but this doesn't change the fact it is nimble compared to the VMax. Thanks for sharing some wisdom though :laugh:

And in the handling dept. it is no Ducati, but I have dusted plenty of squids on supersport bikes downn at Deals Gap and worn thru a few sets of foot pegs . As always skill will take you much further than anything else and just because Mat Maladin is fast on a certain bike doesn't mean you are just by buying one.

:rofl:

Here is a linky 600, hauling in some 1K's with a camera on board, level III rider.

Ya think ya can hang in there with a Vmax?

- Yamaha R1 vs Kawasaki ZX6 onboard Motorbike battle circuit[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a VMax if they cut the price to about $9000. I'd add the windscreen, bags and exhaust. That would be it, well a bigger tank would be nice. I haven't found a 150mph windscreen for the King that really works. They are all too small and I have the biggest I can find on the internet. Also, the Two brothers pipes makes finding bags near impossible as they will melt most things. But in the end, I like the motor the most. So, I'm stuck with the King for a few more years until a comfy high performance motor bike comes out with decent range on a tank of gas. Did I say I love the motor?:thumbsup:

So, I'm stuck with the King for a few more years until a comfy high performance motor bike comes out with decent range on a tank of gas. Did I say I love the motor?:thumbsup:

They already did, it's called a Hayabusa! :D

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g using Tapatalk.

First off I owned a 1992 V Max that I built up for racing the 1/4 mile. Nothing sounds like a built V Max with a good header system, sounds like a built V8 chevy. I own a 1st gen 2000 Busa now and a 2008 B King.... I like the looks of the Max and the sound... BUT I would put my B King up to the new V Max any day... Your going to have to put out a ton of money in that max to get it to kick butt on a B King...

DragMax.gif

Last edited:
Isn't age, wisdom and patience a wonderful thing.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Yes. Age, wisdom and patience is wonderful...I'm 53. And....................I hate it.

I have an 08 Busa and a 95 Vmax I know its not the new one and I hope to one day soon to take one out but, I definitely agree with the crappy fuel consumption of the Vmax. Due to it only having 5 gears the high revs on the highway suck fuel down quick. Highway I go about 100 miles (34 mpg) Before hitting reserve but if the stay on the back roads im up to about 125 before the reserve(best I got this year was 40mpg). I do like the feel of the v-boost its crazy on a cruiser with that said the vmax is my every day rider and the busa is my long distance rider. The busa is like driving a new Viper compared to an old muscle car feel the vmax gives me. I do love the fact that I can hit 200 miles on the busa before having to think about stopping for gas and its instant insane power is incredible. Both bikes are fun and having the ability to be able to switch between a cruiser and a super bike with out to much sacrifice of power is a nice change up from time to time.

IMG_4388.jpg

Burnout 001.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

Yes. Age, wisdom and patience is wonderful...I'm 53. And....................I hate it.[/QUOTE] Just wait , it only gets worse! I,m 64 , and my busa is the only bike I need or want. I ride to fast, corner to hard , and I don,t care.

I like the Vmax but way too spendy !! Even Harley riders can't afford them.

I currently own a 2008 Hayabusa and a 2009 Vmax. The bikes have different design objectives.
I would prefer better feedback from the front brake lever, and less weight. Otherwise the Busa, in my opinion, excels in any performance measure, and gets great gas mileage. The ergonomics are less comfortable than the VMax but the wind protection is reasonable, which is better than the windblast felt on the Yamaha. The Busa is the easiest bike to ride and manage that I have owned...I never feel uncomfortable in any situation on the bike...in the garage, parking lots, anywhere.
The Vmax is the funnest bike I have ever owned. The sound and feel of the V-4 is spectacular. The handling feels less confidence-inspiring than the Busa, because of the geometry, but handles well for the class. The brakes are excellent, clearly better than the Hayabusa. The 4 gallon gas tank and 30-32 mpg limit the range of the VMax.
The VMax feels faster than the Busa, possible because of the seating position?, to a certain rpm level and speed, then the Busa, at higher rpms, seems faster. Both are outrageously fast and a pleasure/privilege to own.

Back