Vmax and busa

Higgs

Registered
I meant to post this story last night. I thought you would get a kick out of it. I did. I was buying a new Kubota tractor and noticed the salesman had the new Yamaha FJ as his screen saver and said is that your bike? He said I ordered it and it comes in April. I complimented how comfortible it will be and still rather fun to ride. He agreed then went on to tell me he owns a 1987 vmax that flies. (I had one in the early 90's after my fj1100) That's when I told him I have a busa. He said " that's a great bike but my vmax will take that bike in the first 50'. It's the only time all that weight in the front is an advantage." I then went on to tell him my stock vmax did in the 11's at the dragway and the busa is in the 9's with just a sprocket change. I haven't brought the busa to the dragway yet but that's what I guess from what I'm reading. He still thought he could take the busa off the line and switched the topic to a kit car cobra he was having built. What a joker. Launching a vmax vs. launching a busa. No comparison. I just chuckled and went on to buying the tractor.

Hopefully that saleman knows more about tractors than he does about bikes!
biggrin.gif

What kind of Kubota did you buy? I'm looking at one myself.

I hate to admit it but a lot of that goes on with "our" bike....
Isn't it funny how brand loyale we become by the things we own? Now I'm a Zuke man from way back, but the older I get the more I tend to think about things. So, I'd suffice to say it is funny that a V-max could get the jump on a Busa, but not impossible given the number of talented riders that are out there
wow.gif

I used to own a Vmax too. Great bike. I used to ride with some other max owners and one night I got a call to come for a ride. They were going to hunt for some busas for stop-light-to-stop-light races. I showed up on the busa. It was hilarious. There are some souped up maxes out there with very good riders. Just don't get caught slipping or you will be a kill. They are easier to launch, IMHO.

I hate to admit it but a lot of that goes on with "our" bike....
Isn't it funny how brand loyale we become by the things we own? Now I'm a Zuke man from way back, but the older I get the more I tend to think about things. So, I'd suffice to say it is funny that a V-max could get the jump on a Busa, but not impossible given the number of talented riders that are out there
wow.gif
+1 even tho there isnt tons of top end a max is nothing to sneez at
wink.gif

My old vmax was a busa killer and I still know it was faster than my 05 off the line. It was built, PCW racing 1550 longrod motor, stretched swingarm, raked out to 35 degrees, kerker exhaust, progressive suspension, stage 7 jet kit, made 180 rwhp. someone with a similar setup is making 191 rwhp because he has chain drive and i had the shaft. Was built by one of the big vmax guys on the east coast. i used to piss sone busas off
smile.gif
watch out for those bike though, they DO fly! please excuse the dark pictures, i pulled them from another forum i post on.

bike_small.jpg

the funny thing about this post..my stepdad is getting a v-max and im getting a busa.. hum might have to race the old man.. might get a kick out of it..

I know a lot of big cruisers that will take a busa or any other sport bike off the line for the first 50 feet. Even my V-star 1100 that I used to have. You have to remember the crusiers are geared very low and top out quickly. Every time I am at the strip I watch the cruisers win the first 40-60 feet of the race every time. They of course are about 4 seconds behind by the end of the race but it always works like that. I used to get all excited when I raced the V-Star for the first time and I was out of the hole wide open and I would always be ahead and would end up running at 13.9-14.3 compared to their 10.5-11.4 second 1/4.

So I would always end up winning for the first 60' or so but then I would lose badly by the end of the track..

My modded Victory Hammer made 110Lb's of torque from idle to about 4200 RPM, after that she just sorta fell flat on her face...but quite a Torque Monster compared to the Busa. On the other hand, the Hammer only made about 100/105 HP and weighed about 780 LBS (I blame the weight on the 250 tire...lol)

Ive been hearing the ghostly tales of the Vmax eating up everything it has ever encountered since I was a young man. It Didn't matter what a few guys were talking about as far as something being fast or what could beat what...eventually someone always droped the Dreaded Vmax name into the conversation & everyone just got quiet, noded their heads and admitted defeat against this unruly machine. Yup, the stories kept getting bigger like old Uncle Paul's fish stories. It went something like this....Yah I got me a 200 Evenrude, was flying across the lake in complete bliss when all of a sudden this fuggin guy on a Vmax is blowing past me, waving at me and leaving my boat in his wake....cripe that sucka was fast, scared all the fish away and ticked off all the duck hunters when it went vertical and almost hit a DC-10 flying overhead at 10,000 feet.

Now, as its been said here about a bazillion times, alot of the time it comes down to the rider and his/her ability on the machine. The Vmax has some killer torque, and if geared properly, moded, and has an above average rider onboard, than I would say it would make some nasty trouble for an unsuspecting rider on anything older or smaller than the current liter bikes in the 1/4 mile. Put the Vmax in the twisties & wave bu bye. Give me a stock Busa and a stock Vmax with equal riders & again the Busa says...C'ya! Ok, but what about a moded vmax....yah, what about it? What about a moded Busa....I mean you can mod anything to crazy extremes...cripe....it is a variable(s).

As for what Ive witnessed, the Vmax is a wicked bike (Outdated or Not), however I wont be shaking in my rearsets if the average to under $20K moded Vmax decides he wants to show me a thing or two about a thing or two. I will let the tale of the supersonic vmax fade into memory, just as I would let the headlight of the Vmax fade into the far off distance if another one decides he's had 1 to many redbull's ----As I shifted into 6th, everything became a blur, except for the reality that I was incontrol of my own mortality
wink.gif

Camaroguy72 - Forgot to add, that your Vmax is the nicest I've ever seen...Very Nice!

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133723059 -->

FJrider - I picked up a 4400. Wish I bought the 50hp.

Great photos of the vmax camaro guy! I don't have any of mine. It had a taz painted on the top of the tank. Great bike. I like the concept one floating around too. I sold it after it loosened up on an open trailer and fell to its side. Batt fluid went all over the frame and engine. Bought a k1200rs for a change of pace. Nice bike but no vmax torque.

I think I'll race the guy a few times off the line and see what happens. I changed the sprockets so it should be a good run. I'll post the results next spring because it's snowing here now. Time to get the race sled out to keep the adrenalin pumping.

bmw_k1200rs.JPG

WOW things are getting tough when guys talk shiet about taking ya for 50 ft. lol just as bad as 5th gear roll on a 60 mph !!those boys should just go sit back on the porch!!

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133726974 -->

Back