Gen 2 Busa comparison to Gen 2 VMax - personal opinion

dddd

Registered
I had my Gen 2 Busa for almost two years and put approx. 18,000 kms on it. In general loved every minute of it, however, I found that I only really enjoyed it when I was right up it and at insane speeds, as such this bike truly did bring out the worst in me. I started looking around for something that I could enjoy more at saner speeds and perhaps be more comfortable as well (I'm over 50 years of age).

After looking at just about every bike on the market, I ended up with the new VMax. For those of you that have ever wondered about the comparison, I can now give you a bit of an idea after putting approx. 6,000 kms on the VMax.

Power: On the Busa between 9,000-11,000 rpm, I don't believe the VMax pulls quite as hard in its top end rpm (but there's not much in it) as the Busa, however everywhere else in the rpm range, the VMax is much stronger. Up to say 200 kph I find the VMax accelerates stronger, however, after that speed the Busa is far stronger in acceleration (aerodynamics). In general I would have to say the V4 engine has a lot of character (but its fuel consumption is absolutely terrible) and you can feel tremendous acceleration even a very low speeds, which is what the higher revving Busa lacked in comparison.

Suspension: Generally I found this to be much more supple on the Busa. Clearly the unsprung weight of the driveshaft and diff. have a payoff.

Handling: This is what surprised me the most. For low speed handling, say below 140kph, I found the VMax handles better. It feels much lighter and nimbler. I realise this is contradictory to its longer wheelbase, steeper rake and heavier weight (although I do believe it would have a lower centre of gravity i.e. fuel tank under seat), but at higher speeds clearly the Busa is better.

Brakes: This is a clear win for the VMax, despite its extra 50kgs. I find the brakes show more power and feel than the Busa (with ABS as a bonus).

Comfort: Its more upright seating position I find a lot more comfortable for my aging body, except at speeds over say 140kph (no faring).

You are comparing a sportbike with a cruiser :whistle:

Two different animals I love seating geometry of the vmax. It's a cruiser of course it has a friendlier seating position. The only thing I don't like about the V Max is the price and when you start adding the extra options which really make it look nice, the price just gets insanely ugly :laugh: I priced one out the way I wanted it and ended being like 22K :moon: I don't think so :rofl:

The 240 tire should have been standard and included for the price that thing retails for jmo

But I do love the Yamaha enjoy your ride if it sold for the same price as the Busa I would own one as a stable mate because the Busa is the sharpest and nicest looking ride out there. :poke: :laugh:

Nice write up. I love the Vmax it has always been a fav of mine. That engine has a lot of free hp potential by just letting her breath. I think stock they even have restrictor plates in them. Also I would love to see one with some aftermarket exhaust on it, I really hate the stock pipes.:beerchug:

I almost bought the new vmax but it was just coming out at the time, had to put 1k down and wait :banghead:. I had a 97 Max and liked it a lot ( under 120mph ) above that it was a death trap. It would be nice to have both of them...:whistle:

interesting stuff, however the better comparison would be v-max vs. b-king.

I agree with this statement, but the OP obviously didn't own a B-King, so we'll take what he can give us. I personally LOVE the looks of the new V-Max. I think if the price would be somewhere more reasonable, I'd have looked into one a little harder a few months ago when I bought my 'Busa.

I had my Gen 2 Busa for almost two years and put approx. 18,000 kms on it. In general loved every minute of it, however, I found that I only really enjoyed it when I was right up it and at insane speeds, as such this bike truly did bring out the worst in me. I started looking around for something that I could enjoy more at saner speeds and perhaps be more comfortable as well (I'm over 50 years of age).

After looking at just about every bike on the market, I ended up with the new VMax. For those of you that have ever wondered about the comparison, I can now give you a bit of an idea after putting approx. 6,000 kms on the VMax.

Power: On the Busa between 9,000-11,000 rpm, I don't believe the VMax pulls quite as hard in its top end rpm (but there's not much in it) as the Busa, however everywhere else in the rpm range, the VMax is much stronger. Up to say 200 kph I find the VMax accelerates stronger, however, after that speed the Busa is far stronger in acceleration (aerodynamics). In general I would have to say the V4 engine has a lot of character (but its fuel consumption is absolutely terrible) and you can feel tremendous acceleration even a very low speeds, which is what the higher revving Busa lacked in comparison.

Suspension: Generally I found this to be much more supple on the Busa. Clearly the unsprung weight of the driveshaft and diff. have a payoff.

Handling: This is what surprised me the most. For low speed handling, say below 140kph, I found the VMax handles better. It feels much lighter and nimbler. I realise this is contradictory to its longer wheelbase, steeper rake and heavier weight (although I do believe it would have a lower centre of gravity i.e. fuel tank under seat), but at higher speeds clearly the Busa is better.

Brakes: This is a clear win for the VMax, despite its extra 50kgs. I find the brakes show more power and feel than the Busa (with ABS as a bonus).

Comfort: Its more upright seating position I find a lot more comfortable for my aging body, except at speeds over say 140kph (no faring).

drugs and riding motorcycles don't mix. Please be careful. :please:

drugs and riding motorcycles don't mix. Please be careful

I don't suppose you would like to be a bit more specific ??

i did a dyno day with a new v max he pulled 169 rwhp and about 110 ft lbs toque very impressive his only complints were they are limited to 137 mph unless it senses u are doing a 1/4 miles run the then limit is 144 and it gets real crappy milage around 30 mpg and a small tank his fuel range is ony about 120 miles

i did a dyno day with a new v max he pulled 169 rwhp and about 110 ft lbs toque very impressive his only complints were they are limited to 137 mph unless it senses u are doing a 1/4 miles run the then limit is 144 and it gets real crappy milage around 30 mpg and a small tank his fuel range is ony about 120 miles

Yamaha offers a "race" computer that offers the additional horsepower and removes the speed limiter. It's very expensive

I'm sure the new V-Max is a fantastic machine, I never rode it but a bike that has a motor of that size with a gas thank the size of a scooter's is a big turn off...for me. I hate to stop for gas.

I go 330km with the Busa before I fill it up, with the V-Max, I would go 160km....maybe??

I've never seen a new V-Max on the street, I'd love to see one with an aftermarket exhaust, I just love the sound of a v-four:thumbsup:

Careful Man.... Many people on this forum cannot cope with any form of criticism of the Busa...:rofl:

I'm sure the new V-Max is a fantastic machine, I never rode it but a bike that has a motor of that size with a gas thank the size of a scooter's is a big turn off...for me. I hate to stop for gas.

I go 330km with the Busa before I fill it up, with the V-Max, I would go 160km....maybe??

I've never seen a new V-Max on the street, I'd love to see one with an aftermarket exhaust, I just love the sound of a v-four:thumbsup:

300km... I have yet to see anywhere near 200km with a full tank of gas. I ride to my beach condo 100km away and the fuel light comes on when I get there, most of the time... sometimes I can get away filling her up half way back. My speedo needle stays in the lower right quadrant most of the way there (I only slow down near the police station and known speed traps:laugh:), so I admit I'm not going to get good fuel economy. Does that mean, if I ride the V-max anywhere near the way I ride the Hayabusa, I'll run out of gas half the way there?

Maybe you guys are comparing spirited riding fuel economy vs near legal speed fuel economy of the two bikes?

I'm sure I can get around 300km if I ride leisurely but is very difficult to do that with the busa... at least for me. Same thing with my V Star 1300 in the States... I hear reports of 50 miles per gallon but I only get 30 or so. It's all in the wrist... :whistle:

Yes, of course Iwata engineers made a great job with the new V-max...
But I want to clear something...don't confuse a well-built frame (like the Busa frame) with a good low speed handling (given by the rised up handlebar)...
V-max can NEVER compare with the Busa riding experience...
Well, the V-max engine can push more than the hamamatsu1340cc but IF we speak about DRIVING-RIDING-BENDING-CORNERING Busa is superior.
don't be confused by EASINESS at low speed...even a Honda hornet 600 is EASIER in cornering at low speed ...It means that the craphornet is built better than a Busa?

Yes, of course Iwata engineers made a great job with the new V-max...
But I want to clear something...don't confuse a well-built frame (like the Busa frame) with a good low speed handling (given by the rised up handlebar)...
V-max can NEVER compare with the Busa riding experience...
Well, the V-max engine can push more than the hamamatsu1340cc but IF we speak about DRIVING-RIDING-BENDING-CORNERING Busa is superior.
don't be confused by EASINESS at low speed...even a Honda hornet 600 is EASIER in cornering at low speed ...It means that the craphornet is built better than a Busa?

1 Perhaps your right about the higher handlebar position making the bike feel more nimble at low speeds , I have no doubt it contributes towards it. I must say thou I have ridden a few litre bikes with very low bars on and they felt quit nimble.
2 As to the Vmax never comparing with the riding experience of the busa ,after spending a considerable time on both ,for high speed work I agree entirely however for low speed I find the Vmax more enjoyable ,it's not unlike riding around with a small block V/8 between your legs
3 I don't know that anyone was suggesting the Vmax was better built than the busa , I have no doubt the busa is better value for money for the average person.

1 Perhaps your right about the higher handlebar position making the bike feel more nimble at low speeds , I have no doubt it contributes towards it. I must say thou I have ridden a few litre bikes with very low bars on and they felt quit nimble.
2 As to the Vmax never comparing with the riding experience of the busa ,after spending a considerable time on both ,for high speed work I agree entirely however for low speed I find the Vmax more enjoyable ,it's not unlike riding around with a small block V/8 between your legs
3 I don't know that anyone was suggesting the Vmax was better built than the busa , I have no doubt the busa is better value for money for the average person.

it's a real pleasure talking with a reasonable person like you.
I love new V-max, simply I was saying that Busa give us good sensation at a reasonable cost.
And with an amount of 6/10000 $ (the difference between a V-max and a Busa) we can transform a Busa in BRAKING-SUSPENSION-RIMS-HANDLEBAR and create a dragging motard:thumbsup:

Back