Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 Aerodynamics

ThaDoubleJ

Registered
I really like the look of the Gen 2, but it doesn't seem aimed as much as a top speed bike with the "Gentleman's Agreement" in effect. Does anyone know if someone has done a wind tunnel test between the two, or have the drag coefficient numbers handy?

I imagine that the boyz at Suzuki might have those handy. Getting them might be something of an effort, though.

Published articles imply/infer that the reason for the fairing shape changes was for decreased drag coefficient. Otherwise, if Gen1 was perfect there'd be no reason for change. Improvements will be made to the Gen2 'busa, as well, I suspect.

Suzuki claimed the aero drag is less than the Gen 1.

But until someone puts it in a wind tunnel, other than Suzuki, we will never know...

Well, if you didn't know, the GSXR1000 2006 had the best aerodynamics of all the bikes in 2006. ZX-10 had the worst if I recall. The Gen 1 Busa came in second followed by the ZX14. Suzuki and Motorcyle Magazine who did wind tunnel tests one month said that the New model is better all around. the Old Busa was good for air coming over the top. The new model is good for aero dynamics over the top, but also around the legs and wheels.

I also read the the tail re-design was from the wind tunnel testing resulting in less drag.

Definetly better.
thumb_up.gif

Well, if you didn't know, the GSXR1000 2006 had the best aerodynamics of all the bikes in 2006. ZX-10 had the worst if I recall. The Gen 1 Busa came in second followed by the ZX14.
Where did you read that?

I remember reading a magazine which said the Busa had the best followed by the 1000. Third was the ZX-10 and last was the 14. (All 2006 models)

I think it was in the same magazine they de-restricted the Busa and 14 and the Busa pulled 188.9 while the 14 hit 188.3 ... or something like that. I'll see if I can find that mag in the morning.

I am the author that wrote the article on the aerodynamics and wind tunnel tested those bikes in 2006 for Sport Rider Magazine. I spent an entire day at a top NASCAR based wind tunnel in North Carolina to yield those results and learned a lot along the way. Though I am not an expert by any definition. The Busa won the aero test not the GSXR1000. While it was pretty close the Busa was and will remain king for a while it seems.

I tried to get that test repeated in 2008 but Suzuki was pretty clear that the aeros were as good or slightly better so I could not get a mgazine interested in a repeat test. If you recall in Motorcyclist mag they showed Mitch in a tunnel with the new Busa so I assume they showed him something there but I dont know what.

I think its safe to assume that the 08 is at least as good or better than the gen 1. Plus I think the rider btter integrates on the bike this year too which will help a lot.

Many of the Kawasaki bikes look pretty good in the tunnel until a rider gets on the bike then their Cda falls apart. Showing they didnt consider a rider in the design as much as Suzuki seems to have.

I wish I had a more certian answer but unless somebody is willing to pony up for a day in the tunnel (which isnt cheap) then we just have to guess for now.

Don

do a search over at sh.org. under "windtunnel" you can find the artical in there.busa is the king of aero's.

Don, if my only reason for owning a Busa is to break 200 mph, and the new generation looks better and is a little slipperier, then it appears it's time to sell my 05 then, eh?

Motorcyclist mag (special Busa edition) said, "Windtunnel data shows the 2008 is a bit more slippery than earlier models.".....

DD

Don, if my only reason for owning a Busa is to break 200 mph, and the new generation looks better and is a little slipperier, then it appears it's time to sell my 05 then, eh?
Well the 08 is easier for sure as shown by Brock with his 08 that made it on the first meet with minimal mods.

But you have to decide if that is a better route for you. By the time you trade your 05 in and pay the difference plus taxes, higher insurance etc you could have added a nice KWS 1397cc kit to your 05. Which will make more power than then new 08. But then its still an o5 and doesnt have the added goodies of the new bike.

I have had 4 busas now and the 08 is better and not just by a little. It is a big leap and only gets better with mods.

The reason I thought the GSX1000 won in that article is because it required less HP to reach 200mph. Guess I was wrong in my assumption.

The reason I thought the GSX1000 won in that article is because it required less HP to reach 200mph. Guess I was wrong in my assumption.
The 1k only has less frontal area. Overall drag is more, that's why the BUSA is still the bike to have for TOP SPEED runs...
thumb_up.gif

The 1k is still great depending on your size as a rider, it just takes more HP to go faster than the BUSA.

Back