Gen 1 hayabusa not going past 3000 rpms

Gen11300

Registered
Please for the love of god. Someone help me. I will literally Venmo you or whatever if you help me fix it.
I picked up a 2001 Hayabusa. The guy said it would start but die.
He added a external switch for the fan(who knows why)
Anyway, I got it home, changed the spark plugs and it fired right up.
Anyways, since then I’ve changed the fuel pump (he told me he replaced it already, I didn’t believe him)
Cleaned injectors.
I’ve cleaned the gas tank and new gas in it.
I still wouldn’t be able to get it to go past 3000rpms or it would die.
So I did the external fuel filter mod to see if it was the filter.
Took air box off and made sure the injectors were getting fuel through them. (They are)
Started perfectly BUT STILL wouldn’t go past 3000 rpm’s.
This morning i started it up and is still doing it. Please for the love of god.

Welcome,

Sorry to hear about your woes....sad to hear of such things..

Inheriting problems is never a fun thing to do, something I personally avoid....

Frank (@Berlin Germany ) is steering you in the right direction, diagnosing the issue via internet is a very difficult thing to do as it seems you are on top of things.

The external switch for the fan is a common thing especially seeing as where the bike lives..

How many miles are on the bike, do you think it has been ridden hard and put away wet more than once?

Does it have a Power Commander or any other accessories on it?

Welcome @Gen11300.

Anyways, since then I’ve changed the fuel pump (he told me he replaced it already, I didn’t believe him)

That is perfect to start off skeptical and question everything.

How is the battery? It must be in good condition and fully charged as you continue troubleshooting, including doing all of the electrical tests in the service manual.

Welcome,

Sorry to hear about your woes....sad to hear of such things..

Inheriting problems is never a fun thing to do, something I personally avoid....

Frank (@Berlin Germany ) is steering you in the right direction, diagnosing the issue via internet is a very difficult thing to do as it seems you are on top of things.

The external switch for the fan is a common thing especially seeing as where the bike lives..

How many miles are on the bike, do you think it has been ridden hard and put away wet more than once?

Does it have a Power Commander or any other accessories on it?
Miles are about 8000. And I don’t think so, the guy I got it from said he’s never got to ride it. Assuming someone has. And I’m not to sure where to look for a power commander at. No other accessories that I’ve found yet.

From memory, it’s been a long time, idle setting can cause problems, otherwise my first guess is fuel pump, low mileage but 22 year old bike, check the tank for gunk and rust if you pull the pump, I’m thinking by 2001 they had gone internal pump

(...) I’m thinking by 2001 they had gone internal pump
ur right - since 2001-model the busa have an internal pump - only ´99 & ´00 had the external one

visible as a huge "block" under the tank, mounted at "height" of 4th throttle, very close to frame RH

and at all starters - get the fitting ..uckin´ manual(s) - turnin´ screws without is like a blindfolded surgery

Please for the love of god. Someone help me. I will literally Venmo you or whatever if you help me fix it.
I picked up a 2001 Hayabusa. The guy said it would start but die.
He added a external switch for the fan(who knows why)
Anyway, I got it home, changed the spark plugs and it fired right up.
Cleaned injectors.
I’ve cleaned the gas tank and new gas in it.
I still wouldn’t be able to get it to go past 3000rpms or it would die.
So I did the external fuel filter mod to see if it was the filter.
Took air box off and made sure the injectors were getting fuel through them. (They are)
Started perfectly BUT STILL wouldn’t go past 3000 rpm’s.
This morning i started it up and is still doing it. Please for the love of god.
Check the charging system rate, volt meter on battery terminals, must be 13v or more, preferably 13.6 to 14.2v and fluctuating a little as revs go up and down via turning the throttle. If it's not charging this will cause running issues.

Also check fuel pressure, needs to be 3 bar (43psi) and constant.
Check fuel delivery at the feed hose to the injector rail, should be 180ml every 10 secs. (65 liters per hour)
Disconnect the hose to the rail and run the pump ( external power supply to bypass the '3 secs with key on, then shut off' setting) delivering fuel into a 1 liter graduated container, stop watch on for 10 secs, how much came out??

You said you changed the fuel pump, was it a used complete unit? Or did you replace the pump motor? Or was it a complete OEM pump assembly?
You'll need to be really specific on what you did when attempting to fix it, remote diagnosis is difficult enough, without a vague description thrown in.,
Oh, and I'll get my Venmo acc. no. ready too . . . lmao.

60F0FD9F-1ECF-4184-ACD1-55511426ADC3.jpeg

Dumb question: does it run roughly or finely? It may have TBs out of sync that urges to be setted.
Other stuff ought to be: 2001 model, depends.. mine is a 2001 registered but 2000 effective with ext. FP.
So on that fuel pump you have kinda 4 filters to check in order:

1) tower filter inside the tank
2) filter inside the cage, on the top inside of the housing (it's a while plastic with web)
3) filter inside the cage, on the back of the pump (it's a paper fuel filter, 50 dollars of crap)
4) filter beneath the FP regulator above the pump (it's a finger filter, small and not recognized by the manual)

check everything in order.

If you got the 2001 pump instead (internal tank pump) you gotta check the filter in there and eventually swap FP regulator (you can find it aftermarket).

Back