00 Busa surging and sputtering under 3000 RPMs

race24x

Registered
I have searched and tried some things but no real luck. I am running out of ideas. I have a 00 Busa with about 60K on it Two Brothers Exhaust PCII Small Airbox mod and a BMC race filter. I dont think the mods are the problem because I have had them for some time and it ran beautiful. Last year I started having this issue. I replaced the plugs cleaned the air filter, Took the fuel filter out screens out of the injectors they all looked great but I took them out anyway. I had the TPS set the valves adjusted. I am at the end of my rope. At idle it will surge and kind of miss or something, but not all of the time. Sometimes when you try and take off putting a load its fine others it spits and surges, if you rev it up it seems like it cleans out and runs OK when it acts up. Under 3K it surges very badly. Not all of the time again but most of the time. Now I know fuel injected cars have open and closed loop for the computer to control the fuel. The bike runs much better when it is cold. Also the FI light has come on twice in the last couple years. Is there a way to check the codes like a car? Is there a closed and open loop fuel setting? I am considering having the injectors cleaned and set. Are there any other ideas has anyone found a fix for this as I have seen this problem before on the board. It feels like a half of a miss on one cylinder. Not a complete miss because you would really feel that. Please what ever you all can come up with for ideas. I love my bike and it has given me years of great dependable riding, but this is driving me crazy...

I had the surging issue at idle only and mine ran rich. I replaced the vaccum switch on the back of the air box and my problem was solved. Granted it took me a year to find the problem tinkering here and there.

Scott

I did do the airbox mod and I plugged off that vacuum line. I wonder if there is a leak? Has anyone had this and fixed it?

I plugged the line that goes to the vaccum diaphram that opens the door. Small airbox mod you cut the door out. Which sensor are you reffering too? Is there a way to pull the codes out my FI light came on twice so far does it store codes like a GM car?

I plugged the line that goes to the vaccum diaphram that opens the door. Small airbox mod you cut the door out. Which sensor are you reffering too? Is there a way to pull the codes out my FI light came on twice so far does it store codes like a GM car?

I would have to look it up for the specific name, but there is a vaccum sensor that bolts to the back left side of the airbox.

I chased the surge for almost a year on and off, I could even get it to go away and then it would come back. Make sure none of the vaccum lines are pinched and I would use the troubleshooting guide of your manual and start testing the FI sensors.

I will check the vaccum sensor you mentioned. So I am assuming there is no way to check codes they are not stored by the computer? That would really help me narrow it down

I will check the vaccum sensor you mentioned. So I am assuming there is no way to check codes they are not stored by the computer? That would really help me narrow it down

I think there is.......got a manual? I believe there is a way to pull the codes by putting the bike into dealer mode and then performing a sequence on the dash panel.

There is a wire harness in the tail. Little white one that's tricky to get to, you put a wire from one hole of it to the other, this will make a code come up on the dash. Look the code up online and there ya go.
Search dealer mode, or pigtail on here for pics and a better description if ya need.

Droid via Tapatalk

OK try this

dealermode1.jpg

Dealermode.jpg

That makes it much easier I wish I knew it was same as setting the TPS LOL I had worked on that before... Thank you for all for all of your help.

THis is going to drive me crazy it surges at idle too if you rev it it seems to clean out and be fine but every once in a while it will surge like its revving but cutting out at the same time

I have searched and tried some things but no real luck. I am running out of ideas. I have a 00 Busa with about 60K on it Two Brothers Exhaust PCII Small Airbox mod and a BMC race filter. I dont think the mods are the problem because I have had them for some time and it ran beautiful. Last year I started having this issue. I replaced the plugs cleaned the air filter, Took the fuel filter out screens out of the injectors they all looked great but I took them out anyway. I had the TPS set the valves adjusted. I am at the end of my rope. At idle it will surge and kind of miss or something, but not all of the time. Sometimes when you try and take off putting a load its fine others it spits and surges, if you rev it up it seems like it cleans out and runs OK when it acts up. Under 3K it surges very badly. Not all of the time again but most of the time. Now I know fuel injected cars have open and closed loop for the computer to control the fuel. The bike runs much better when it is cold. Also the FI light has come on twice in the last couple years. Is there a way to check the codes like a car? Is there a closed and open loop fuel setting? I am considering having the injectors cleaned and set. Are there any other ideas has anyone found a fix for this as I have seen this problem before on the board. It feels like a half of a miss on one cylinder. Not a complete miss because you would really feel that. Please what ever you all can come up with for ideas. I love my bike and it has given me years of great dependable riding, but this is driving me crazy...[/QUOTE
When you do the airboxmodification you will loose some torque at lower rpm's. Above 3000rpm's you will win between 2 and 4 hp's. It is recommended to use a powercommanderbox to correct the air/fuelratio, because when you have done the airboxmodification you will feel some little dips in the lower rpm's.

I have a power commander. I have the old style I am trying to find one of the new USB styles. I need a serial cable at least to connect my old laptop to the PC II so I can try a different map, but the lope I am talking about its weird a kind of stutter sitting at idle like as if you dripped a small amount of fuel from the injector into a cylinder if you rev it it goes away for a while and also the surging when you are under 3k is pretty bad

I used to hv this problem with my car, end up is the filter box not fully covered Properly after the filter was clean and too much air was going into the engine.

Can you repost the pics? I have a code C00 and I think my TPS is supposed to be in the middle it is all the way to the bottom. I am hoping that is what is causing some of my issues. The surging is very bad hard to start when its cold and doesnt start quite right when warm it will kick the starter occasionally. When cold I have to start it 6-8 times it will start and stall even full choke. I get an occasional FI light I jumped the wire and I am not exactly sure how to check for codes but C00 came up. Any help would be appreciated I miss my smooth nice running bike.

Can you repost the pics? I have a code C00 and I think my TPS is supposed to be in the middle it is all the way to the bottom. I am hoping that is what is causing some of my issues. The surging is very bad hard to start when its cold and doesnt start quite right when warm it will kick the starter occasionally. When cold I have to start it 6-8 times it will start and stall even full choke. I get an occasional FI light I jumped the wire and I am not exactly sure how to check for codes but C00 came up. Any help would be appreciated I miss my smooth nice running bike.

Just got home from school and am really tired........gonna hit the sack and be up early for work tomorrow.

Shoot me a PM sometime tomorrow and remind me and I will repost the photos.

Scott

Back