Gen 1 clutch options.

13B-RX3

Registered
Been researching clutch options for the last couple days and I have more questions now than when I started. I'm not going for a high power build, just a reliable clutch that can take some abuse. I have searched but a lot of the info seems to contradict. I plan on going with the Brock's sold hub and sticking with oe Suzuki frictions/plates. Here's where the confusion starts. From what I can gather, the gen 1 and gen 2 clutches use the same parts, other than the spring standoffs and springs, is this correct? If so, would it be worth buying the gen 2 kit and swapping to the gen 2 standoffs for the longer springs? I don't really want to run heavy duty springs and I see that the Brock's sold hub spaces out the stock springs for an additional "10%" lever pull. Basically I'm looking for the best oe combination while removing the back torque hub. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I went through a similar debate not long ago. What I ended up going with was the trac king clutch kit(fibers and metals) and left everything else stock. I didn't really have a reason to go with the trac king over OEM since my bike is basically stock but that is the route I chose.

Basically the OEM clutch works well, except for the hub issues some people have when launching. I don't see a reason to mess with it for a close to stock build however I'm sure other will come along and provide much more useful info.

If you're going to the dragstrip. Or just like to launch hard. The Brock's mod is something you probably want to do. I have run my 04 at the drag strip for years. I did the Brock's mod. And run OEM clutches. That's a good combination for a stock motor bike that still gets some street use too. I tried it with and without the washers. Did not notice a difference in my 60' either way. So I don't use them. Just personal preference...

Thank you for the reply, that's definitely the way I'm leaning. Does anyone know the exact difference in the length between the 1st Gen and 2nd gen spring standoffs? IIRC the spacer for the Brock's hub is .180" if that's close to the difference in length of the standoffs, I could run the 2nd gen springs, the 1st gen standoffs, and just not use the spacers.

U don't have to run all the springs. I run half heavy and half stock. All heavy was to much to be trying to grab. U can do 2 heavy and 4 stock springs with stock suzuki clutch kit and that'll probably be best for what your trying to do but can't beat suzuki clutches.

Is there a particular heavy duty spring, or mix and match until you find what works?
I have always used the stock springs. The OEM clutch kits come with fibers, steels, and a set of springs. So you get fresh springs when you change the clutch.
I have never mixed Gen1 parts with Gen2 parts. In the area of the clutch I have no idea what might interchange. And really don't think you'd make anything better by mixing parts. Like I said the stock clutch with the Brock's mod works fine with a stock motor bike...

Stock Gen1 here and I did a lot of the same...trac king pack, locking ring and swapped 1/2 of the springs to HD. I strongly suggest you buy a brace or billet some lower engine pieces if you increase the springs! The slave cylinder area near the front sprocket began tearing apart so I bought something like this...

I ordered that exact brace last night. The fluid was really dirty before I bled it. I'm going to replace the slave as well. Anyone recommend a heavy duty spring? There are so many to choose from.

Stock Gen1 here and I did a lot of the same...trac king pack, locking ring and swapped 1/2 of the springs to HD. I strongly suggest you buy a brace or billet some lower engine pieces if you increase the springs! The slave cylinder area near the front sprocket began tearing apart so I bought something like this...
Good call! I forgot to mention that. And of the two types of braces available. The one you suggested is by far the better one.

Got myself a Trac King for my 2006 after reading up on this thread. Does anyone know the stack height of the stock Gen1 vs TracKing?

I noticed that the plate and fiber kit came with 3 thick (aaabbbaaa) 6-3 vs only 2 thick 7-2 (aaabbaaaa) and thought something didn't add up but assumed they knew what they were doing when devising the kit - so in they went.

Back