Gen 1 Brake Upgrades - Brembo

2001_Busa

Registered
Hey guys. New to the site and recently purchased a 2001 Hayabusa.

I looked through the site for wanting to upgrade the brakes but came across old threads.

Was curious if anyone knew of any websites that would help with upgrading my brakes to the brembo ones? I'm looking to upgrade the entire system.

Thanks for the help!!

There is a lot of information on this site about this subject. @ROADTOAD1340 can tell you anything you want to know and Frank @POWERHOUSE can help you with parts. There are 3 areas to upgrade:

1. Brake lines to stainless steel. If you only do one thing this is probably it, next to a pad upgrade. If you are not sure, do this and try it, you maybe happy to stop here.
2. Rotors and calipers. The type of rotor is not that critical as long as it's a full floating type. There are several levels of Brembos, the M4's being the least expensive and the GP4's being the top. There are other options. I think you need a bracket to mount the Brembos on the OEM forks.
3. Master Cylinder. The stock one is crap and the Brembo RCS 19 is the ticket. There are several other options in a radial MC, including a Kawasaki unit.

1st thing your gonna have to do is find specific caliper adapter mounts for whatever Brembo calipers you wanna run

Once you do that you build from there. As previously stated you’ll need SS brake lines and a new master cylinder

There is many ways to go about it but it’s gonna depend on your budget

I pieced mine together with used parts off eBay. Saved a bunch of $$$ and I still have 2 finger braking stop on a dime capability

Hi there mate , the lads have given good advice , decide what caliper type you want , then as 1busa says , source the matching bracket necessary .
On another note , you can get brake setups from Beringer for example , that will bolt straight up to your fork as is . You can also get a master cylinder and brake rotors from that same company , all very effective and trick .
Let us know what you want , radial or axial , and we can help some more . You will definitely need a new pump , and lines to go with the calipers , maybe also consider new discs .

Hi there mate , the lads have given good advice , decide what caliper type you want , then as 1busa says , source the matching bracket necessary .
On another note , you can get brake setups from Beringer for example , that will bolt straight up to your fork as is . You can also get a master cylinder and brake rotors from that same company , all very effective and trick .
Let us know what you want , radial or axial , and we can help some more . You will definitely need a new pump , and lines to go with the calipers , maybe also consider new discs .
Hi. I went with Beringers calipers and masters brake and clutch also a rear caliper and rotor with Driven rotors up front. they are used on 6.43 sec 230 mph 1/4 mile bikes and on my LSR bike. Oh I also went with Ti. caliper pistons.

You guys are great. I really appreciate all of the advice and plan to get all the parts and do the upgrade all at once. I'm wanting that two finger stop as well.

Very grateful to come across this site and thank you again to everyone for the help.

Ok . . . don't listen to these guys, lemme tellya sumfin' for nuttin' . . .
brakes.... are totally over rated . . who needs 'em?
If you learn to ride without 'em, you're awesome . . just like me!!
I ride a '99 Busa....., brakes? what brakes??
It has what looks like brakes, but looks can be deceiving.
I just had to learn to steer a whole lot better, to avoid objects and people walkin' out in front of me.
I learned to start slowing a whole lot earlier before corners and Stop signs, traffic lights etc.
I could go on and on but seeing as you're just new here . . . . . .
I better be sensible.
To improve my brakes front and rear, I did this . .
1) overhauled the front calipers (frees up any sticky pistons etc
2) Fitted braided brake hoses front and rear.
3) Fitted EBC HH Sintered pads front and rear.
4) Replaced the front master cylinder piston and cups set.
5) New fluid and bled the crap out of the brakes.
This improved the braking a lot, and I mean about double the stopping power and improved the lever feel so much it wasn't funny.
The rear brake works so well now, I can use it around town without using the front brakes.
I also was going to go down the full Brembo conversion route, but thought I'd try this first, before lashing out $1500.
Give it a try, it works!

If you learn to ride without 'em, you're awesome . . just like me!!
I ride a '99 Busa....., brakes? what brakes??
It has what looks like brakes, but looks can be deceiving.
I just had to learn to steer a whole lot better, to avoid objects and people walkin' out in front of me.
I learned to start slowing a whole lot earlier before corners and Stop signs, traffic lights etc.
I could go on and on but seeing as you're just new here . . . . . .
I better be sensible.
To improve my brakes front and rear, I did this . .
1) overhauled the front calipers (frees up any sticky pistons etc
2) Fitted braided brake hoses front and rear.
3) Fitted EBC HH Sintered pads front and rear.
4) Replaced the front master cylinder piston and cups set.
5) New fluid and bled the crap out of the brakes.
This improved the braking a lot, and I mean about double the stopping power and improved the lever feel so much it wasn't funny.
The rear brake works so well now, I can use it around town without using the front brakes.
I also was going to go down the full Brembo conversion route, but thought I'd try this first, before lashing out $1500.
Give it a try, it works!
I thought you wedged your foot into the back wheel and swingarm to stop , same as you use to on your skid kids push bike of school days Kiwi .... hahaha .
I think paying careful attention to the bleeding and that present of new pads is a good stop gap to a costly update as you recommend Kiwi , but really the Gen 1 as we know is crying out for at least pump update , even more so than the wooden feel Gen 2 , and they screamed swap out to me !! .

I think the point Kiwi is making is that you don't need expensive brakes to ride the Busa on the street. I can't argue with that and lines, pads, and fresh fluid is a logical first step to confirm if you need more. In normal riding I don't use the brakes much, it's more engine braking. But go a little faster where you find yourself trail braking, using the rear brake to stabilize the bike's position, or having to stop very quickly, the stock brakes are just not up to the task.

Ride a ZX14 or worse a Ducati and you will be positively afraid of the Busa brakes. Going fast is as much about stopping as it is about HP. Being a slow handler with hue power, the Busa is a natural point and shoot style bike. That means compress your braking zone (which requires strong brakes) and spend more time with the bike straight up and the throttle pinned.

Also remember good brakes start with a properly setup suspension. As for Kiwi, he is an old guy and has never had his Busa out of 2nd gear, Lol!
:poke:

Kiwi is right though, try the simple things before you jump into a lot of money.

I think paying careful attention to the bleeding and that present of new pads is a good stop gap to a costly update as you recommend Kiwi , but really the Gen 1 as we know is crying out for at least pump update , even more so than the wooden feel Gen 2 , and they screamed swap out to me !! .
Spot on Toad, the OEM nissin m/cyl has excess lever travel before pressure is applied and felt.
The reason for this is the size of the scavenge port diameter, (the little hole between the cylinder bore and the reservoir) it's too large and takes a fair amount of piston travel to cover and block off the port before the piston seals can hold and apply the hydraulic pressure to the caliper.
This is an inherent problem in the old Gen 1 m/cyls, a good reason to change to a radial m/c.
So yes, a new 'pump' is a very good 1st upgrade to make.

1st thing your gonna have to do is find specific caliper adapter mounts for whatever Brembo calipers you wanna run

Once you do that you build from there. As previously stated you’ll need SS brake lines and a new master cylinder

There is many ways to go about it but it’s gonna depend on your budget

I pieced mine together with used parts off eBay. Saved a bunch of $$$ and I still have 2 finger braking stop on a dime capability
I know this is necromancy but when updating, my plan is gen 2 brembo's, gen 2 master cyclinder for now, and the adapter mounts for radial. Do I need rotors too or are stock gen 1's ok or do I need gen 2 rotors?

I know this is necromancy but when updating, my plan is gen 2 brembo's, gen 2 master cyclinder for now, and the adapter mounts for radial. Do I need rotors too or are stock gen 1's ok or do I need gen 2 rotors?
Which rotors did you go with ?

Back