Brembo GP4's on an abs Busa. Anyone?

ottafish

Registered
Hi Team,
I'm looking at swapping to a set of GP4's.
I've searched and read as much here as possible, but most threads are upgraded brembos without abs, or upgrading and removing the abs.

I've read reports that the GP4 callipers aren't compatible with abs, but can't find anything either confirming or not on the Brembo website. I'm not sure what the difference is, maybe the diameter of the fluid channel?

So, just wondering if anybody has done a caliper swap with a abs Busa?
And before anyone asks, removing the abs here would void all insurance and put the bike into an unroad worthy condition.

Thanks

I've come across another forum where they say on the older style abs, like we have, it shouldn't make a difference as it's not tied into the bikes smarts.
As ours relies only on the wheel sensor, it may be fine.
But the newer bikes, that have the IMU's and ecu all linked to the abs, that's where you run into trouble.

Reactions: c10
It's hard to say if the ABS will be impacted by the GP4's. The fluid volumes in the GP4 calipers might be different enough to throw off the ABS as it tries to react to wheel speed - who knows? The bigger question is will the ABS allow you to use the GP4's. I think the power and feel of these brakes would definitely be wasted on the stock MC, and changing that could have a bigger impact on the ABS, someone has probably switched to the Brembo RCS MC and S.S. lines with ABS (maybe you?). The performance of the GP4's amounts to "manual ABS" because of their power and progressivity. Not sure if the OEM calibrated ABS is going to allow you to realize the full level of performance you are paying for.

As for turning off the ABS, I don't even notice it's on riding the BMW - I just know the braking is exceptional on both power and feel. I occasionally hear the click, click or see the ABS flash, other than they are just really awesome brakes. My feelings are that if the ABS works properly why turn it off? Interestingly, BMW recalled the OEM brakes and changed the calipers to Brembo's. But I'm sure there was a recalibration of the system required.

It's hard to say if the ABS will be impacted by the GP4's. The fluid volumes in the GP4 calipers might be different enough to throw off the ABS as it tries to react to wheel speed - who knows? The bigger question is will the ABS allow you to use the GP4's. I think the power and feel of these brakes would definitely be wasted on the stock MC, and changing that could have a bigger impact on the ABS, someone has probably switched to the Brembo RCS MC and S.S. lines with ABS (maybe you?). The performance of the GP4's amounts to "manual ABS" because of their power and progressivity. Not sure if the OEM calibrated ABS is going to allow you to realize the full level of performance you are paying for.

As for turning off the ABS, I don't even notice it's on riding the BMW - I just know the braking is exceptional on both power and feel. I occasionally hear the click, click or see the ABS flash, other than they are just really awesome brakes. My feelings are that if the ABS works properly why turn it off? Interestingly, BMW recalled the OEM brakes and changed the calipers to Brembo's. But I'm sure there was a recalibration of the system required.
Thanks for the reply :)

I def want to keep the ABS on and functioning.
I've been spending my day off in front of the computer, doing heaps of reading and research.
Brembo on their main website have listed the GP4's for the Kawasaki ZX10 with ABS and no mention of disabling the ABS. Same for the Yam R1's.
I already have the RCS19 Corsa MC with braided lines - but will need to redo the lines if I go ahead.
The Kawasaki abs brembo part number is the same part number as the non specific model ones.

Decisions..... decisions....

Thanks for the reply :)

I def want to keep the ABS on and functioning.
I've been spending my day off in front of the computer, doing heaps of reading and research.
Brembo on their main website have listed the GP4's for the Kawasaki ZX10 with ABS and no mention of disabling the ABS. Same for the Yam R1's.
I already have the RCS19 Corsa MC with braided lines - but will need to redo the lines if I go ahead.
The Kawasaki abs brembo part number is the same part number as the non specific model ones.

Decisions..... decisions....
Well, I think you have already done the hard part. What I can tell you is that the GP4's are no joke. Sort of opened my eyes to what brakes can do.

Hi Team,
I'm looking at swapping to a set of GP4's.
(...)
why / what for ?

the golden "colored" calipers are fine and their working is usually best u can get.

if you want to drop the necessary hand-power and increase the sensitivity same time
get the dia 17 mm radial brake pump, pre-owned available from ducati 749 / 999
(the dia 19 i personally wouldn´t recom. for standard street use - they are too agressive)

in the same run get also the dia 16 mm radial clutch pump, also pre-owned available from ducati 749 / 999
the following feeling is as if u still have air in the system - so easy the clutch works / so low is the needed hand power / it becomes, so to say, a 1-finger "ladies-clutch" and a 10 year old girl could pull.
more comfort you can´t get.

that´s what i tuned at my ´00 with best success ever !

Remember braking is 50% brakes and 50% suspension! When you get the GP4's you may want to go a bit stiffer upfront to get the most out of them on track. I've learned that you change something and recalibrate the system, change something else and recalibrate, etc. Can be a bit tedious but it's worth it.
Hopefully all things considered, I hope I have that covered.. Fingers crossed :)

Had the front forks rebuilt, new Ohlins springs and re-valved before last summer - awesome difference.
Rear is a Nitron R3 race-spec with remote preload adj - again, huge difference
Lightweight forged cnc rims
And enough Ti to make @c10 proud, (I still hold Bryan responsible for my Ti addiction..)

As I'm a brake late and hard , then trial brake thru the corner, I'm after a setup that's close to my old cbr1000. (weight excluded..lol)

why / what for ?

the golden "colored" calipers are fine and their working is usually best u can get.

if you want to drop the necessary hand-power and increase the sensitivity same time
get the dia 17 mm radial brake pump, pre-owned available from ducati 749 / 999
(the dia 19 i personally wouldn´t recom. for standard street use - they are too agressive)

in the same run get also the dia 16 mm radial clutch pump, also pre-owned available from ducati 749 / 999
the following feeling is as if u still have air in the system - so easy the clutch works / so low is the needed hand power / it becomes, so to say, a 1-finger "ladies-clutch" and a 10 year old girl could pull.
more comfort you can´t get.

that´s what i tuned at my ´00 with best success ever !

I love my rcs 16 on the clutch side - even better now I have a proper switch and not the silly hydraulic switch that throws codes at me.
I got the rcs19 in planned caliper upgrades a while ago.. Was just waiting for the right time.
Now that winter is upon us and back in restricted lockdown, seems like the perfect time to retreat to the garage and loose myself in the enjoyment of my Busa. Heater on, music on, my time

I love my rcs 16 on the clutch side - even better now I have a proper switch and not the silly hydraulic switch that throws codes at me.
I got the rcs19 in planned caliper upgrades a while ago.. Was just waiting for the right time.
Now that winter is upon us and back in restricted lockdown, seems like the perfect time to retreat to the garage and loose myself in the enjoyment of my Busa. Heater on, music on, my time
You are fitting GP4 -RX / 32mm pistons caliper to an abs system designed for calipers with 30mm piston diameter . Not going to have the right lever pressure / feel , even with RCS 19 you plan to run with them , which is the correct ratio to run with GP4-RX . Berlin Germany is right about the RCS 17 being the right ratio for the 30mm piston oem Brembo . I guess you got to decide whether to continue with abs or forget upgrade and spend up big on ti like c10 . :D

Back