Gearing ??

BigJoesBusa

Registered
Im looking for a fast take off , and/or wheelie machine in 1st,2nd3rd gear what gears do you think i should use, Just so you know im a big boy 290lb :laugh:
Im not in too top speed, im looking for a torque monster Thanks for the help BIG JOE

are you still factory height? I think you'd be happy with 16/43. or 16/45. just dont go smaller up frt. than 16:beerchug:

Yes stock up front and back, should i just put on a 43 rear sprocket on the back or does changing the front to 16 and the back to 43/44 make a big difference? Thanks for the welcomes

Yes stock up front and back, should i just put on a 43 rear sprocket on the back or does changing the front to 16 and the back to 43/44 make a big difference? Thanks for the welcomes

every 1 tooth you go down in the frt. is equal to almost 3 up in the back.

now a 16/46 or 17/48-50 would be crazy with a 1st gear top speed of about 45-50 at redline. I had a 15/43 before my 16/43. Back then my motor was still stock and lowered it still was hard to keep on the ground.

For what you want and your size, I think you at least need to go 16/42 for a start. Too much gearing can make the busa a pain to cruise on though too, and destroys your gas mileage. I'd try 16/42, and if you need more just up the back till your happy :thumbsup:

A stock Busa will wheelie with ease, even with you on it, if you know what you're doing.

My last bike was a Kawasaki ninja 1000rx its night and day next to this beast (busa) my other bike would come up but i had to allways throttle up with the clutch. My buddys busa will come up with throttle alone, granted hes only 150lbs wet. I am trying to be good on this bike so wheelies will be minimal, Im lookin mainly for take off and roll on power. I will try the 16/42 trick first Thanks

If I were you Big Joe, I'd go up three in the rear (43T) first and see how you like that before getting carried away with excessive low gears. A 43T rear alone is by far the most popular gearing for your busa. I have experimented with all sorts of gearing and I spend more time on the rear tire than most. I settled in on a 43T rear.

You can always add a 16T front at a later date if you feel the need. You'll need a SpeedOHealer to adjust your speedo after a gear change.

If I were you Big Joe, I'd go up three in the rear (43T) first and see how you like that before getting carried away with excessive low gears. A 43T rear alone is by far the most popular gearing for your busa. I have experimented with all sorts of gearing and I spend more time on the rear tire than most. I settled in on a 43T rear.

You can always add a 16T front at a later date if you feel the need. You'll need a SpeedOHealer to adjust your speedo after a gear change.

Pretty good advice....

Change to a 42 or 43 (or a 16 front)
That will be a pretty big change. going to a 16/42 or 16/43 will double the change.

Also you have to remember that the busa has a load of torque and a pretty flat HP curve. The need to have it in the top 15% of the RPM range is not as critical as a liter bike.

Strap a motor on a unicycle, you will be on one whell all the time. :O As mentioned if you want the quick starts go 16/43. Start there first.

My last bike was a Kawasaki ninja 1000rx its night and day next to this beast (busa) my other bike would come up but i had to allways throttle up with the clutch. My buddys busa will come up with throttle alone, granted hes only 150lbs wet. I am trying to be good on this bike so wheelies will be minimal, Im lookin mainly for take off and roll on power. I will try the 16/42 trick first Thanks
Good game plan :beerchug: I'm a bigger guy too...the 16 front or 43 rear alone won't give you what you're looking for. 16/42 will tho :thumbsup:

Follow Tufbusa's advice and make small changes at a time. I run 16/42 of the track for the performance but don't care for that gearing on the street. Sprocket are cheap and swaps are quick and easy enough to do that you can get a few sprockets and try different combinations.

reading all the comments think ill try the 43t on the back first, I could always add the 16t in front later, like said above.. the speedo healer what does that run for $? and is it an easy install? thanks for all the advise.

I'm your size and was looking for an easier take off. 1 down in front makes a huge difference. I went 2 up in the rear instead which is a little bit less, but it shortened the wheel base a little and it wheelies more than I like but is very responsive. Shortening the wheelbase slightly can get you a touch more cornering clearance, too. If I was less interested in pushing it in the corners, I would have done -1 in front instead. Don't over do it on this. You don't need to change any more than -1 front or +2 (+3 max) in rear on std wheelbase non drag bike. You'll be happy. This made slipping the clutch on take offs effortless.

I'm your size and was looking for an easier take off. 1 down in front makes a huge difference. I went 2 up in the rear instead which is a little bit less, but it shortened the wheel base a little and it wheelies more than I like but is very responsive. Shortening the wheelbase slightly can get you a touch more cornering clearance, too. If I was less interested in pushing it in the corners, I would have done -1 in front instead. Don't over do it on this. You don't need to change any more than -1 front or +2 (+3 max) in rear on std wheelbase non drag bike. You'll be happy. This made slipping the clutch on take offs effortless.
I'm a bigger guy too, and just the 16 up front on a stock height and wheelbase bike didn't do near what I was led to believe. No wheelie monster ect.....just a little bit quicker. I had to go to the 42 in back to get the grin factor I was looking for :thumbsup: :laugh:
BigJoe if I was you I'd go with the 16 front first, if you're going to try just one. Its the harder sprocket to replace, and once you have it done you'll be able to swap out backs much easier. And you WILL swap out your back :laugh:

Last edited:
Back