Gearing question

Dopey

Donating Member
Registered
So I'm sure it's been discussed a million times before but just wondering if anyone has ran 19/45 gearing on their gen2. My buddy and I were having a little fun last night in Mexico and he was riding a 2020 gsxr100r and he decided to see if the speedo would read past 186 after the new flash from Chris Moore(it didn't) and while chasing after him I pretty much topped out the busa because my shift light was on and I believe I have it set at 10,750 to come on and of course he wasn't just leaving me at that point but I sure wasn't gonna get any closer after running out of rpms. So normally I would just go back to the stock 18/43 but I just bought a new chain and sprockets the rear being a 45 tooth supersprox stealth to replace the 45 tooth vortex that's on there. And after buying one for almost retail I found another rear with the same teeth on ebay that was brand new and they didn't know what they had so i picked it up for 20 bucks so I'm kind of stuck with that for a rear size for awhile. Honestly I added the 2 teeth in the rear for the extra power down low but I realize that I just find myself not twisting the throttle very far when taking off because of that and me wanting to keep the front wheel down. So really what I'm wondering is will the 19 tooth give me back my top end without making it a total dawg down low, I know it should be close to stock but still like to hear others opinions.

Depending on how many miles you put on the bike, you'll be fighting the +2 rear sprocket with the +1 front sprocket for a long time. I'd go with an 18 T front and +2 rear and enjoy it for what it is until it's used up. Make your chain the right length for stock gearing and switch back when you need to.

...so a +2 rear makes that much difference? It should be interesting when I get the +4 on my bike.

200.gif

It should be interesting when I get the +4 on my bike.
This is what I also run , 18 / 47t on the Busa , and it is great for my needs , reckon you will love it @Mythos , it is pretty wild . @Dopey , I use to run 18 / 45t which I liked , but wouldn't haul my fat ass as quickly when I punched the throttle , but you being lighter , it will be fun and quick to top speed , albeit a few mph shorter . I really like the 47t for that instant response and acceleration to top , but still got good outright top end speed for my ride areas . @sixpack577 recommended the shorter gearing , as did another mate , and I will only ever change now if engine mods etc .

This is what I also run , 18 / 47t on the Busa , and it is great for my needs , reckon you will love it @Mythos , it is pretty wild . @Dopey , I use to run 18 / 45t which I liked , but wouldn't haul my fat ass as quickly when I punched the throttle , but you being lighter , it will be fun and quick to top speed , albeit a few mph shorter . I really like the 47t for that instant response and acceleration to top , but still got good outright top end speed for my ride areas . @sixpack577 recommended the shorter gearing , as did another mate , and I will only ever change now if engine mods etc .
I like the 18 45 setup but I just don't like only having another 10 or 15 mph over by buddy's 750 at the very top and I really don't like that the 1000 can get 10 or so over on me at the very top but I know there's not much aside from gearing and finding some really long straight roads in Mexico I can do to get away from him anyway at least until i get my dyno setup and i can figure out what I'm adding with it. Maybe I'll pick up a 17 and 19 tooth front to see how they feel just for fun. I'm thinking of giving my partner whichever one I decide I like and see if I can get him to make me some out of titanium since he's a machinist by trade doing all kinds of stuff for the big 3 car companies and a lot of tesla parts lately as well. I've heard of the front one being made of titanium in the past I wonder if anyone has ever done a rear sprocket and if there'd be any benefit besides the cool factor:rolleyes::laugh:

So I'm sure it's been discussed a million times before but just wondering if anyone has ran 19/45 gearing on their gen2. My buddy and I were having a little fun last night in Mexico and he was riding a 2020 gsxr100r and he decided to see if the speedo would read past 186 after the new flash from Chris Moore(it didn't) and while chasing after him I pretty much topped out the busa because my shift light was on and I believe I have it set at 10,750 to come on and of course he wasn't just leaving me at that point but I sure wasn't gonna get any closer after running out of rpms. So normally I would just go back to the stock 18/43 but I just bought a new chain and sprockets the rear being a 45 tooth supersprox stealth to replace the 45 tooth vortex that's on there. And after buying one for almost retail I found another rear with the same teeth on ebay that was brand new and they didn't know what they had so i picked it up for 20 bucks so I'm kind of stuck with that for a rear size for awhile. Honestly I added the 2 teeth in the rear for the extra power down low but I realize that I just find myself not twisting the throttle very far when taking off because of that and me wanting to keep the front wheel down. So really what I'm wondering is will the 19 tooth give me back my top end without making it a total dawg down low, I know it should be close to stock but still like to hear others opinions.
for top speed fun +1 in the front with stock rear will get you to the other side of the galaxy in no time

oh ......and ditch the mirrors,,,,,,,they are parachutes;)

I like the 18 45 setup but I just don't like only having another 10 or 15 mph over by buddy's 750 at the very top and I really don't like that the 1000 can get 10 or so over on me at the very top but I know there's not much aside from gearing and finding some really long straight roads in Mexico I can do to get away from him anyway at least until i get my dyno setup and i can figure out what I'm adding with it. Maybe I'll pick up a 17 and 19 tooth front to see how they feel just for fun. I'm thinking of giving my partner whichever one I decide I like and see if I can get him to make me some out of titanium since he's a machinist by trade doing all kinds of stuff for the big 3 car companies and a lot of tesla parts lately as well. I've heard of the front one being made of titanium in the past I wonder if anyone has ever done a rear sprocket and if there'd be any benefit besides the cool factor:rolleyes::laugh:
Put me down for a front Titanium 18t 530 , if your mates keen bro , I got a pic somewhere of a ti front , a fella (tuner) I know has a couple put away for Suzuki and wont sell them .
Maybe of interest , the rear I run on my Busa , fits BST is a Japanese K Factory M series duralium @ 47 teeth 530 , is lighter than my ceramic / carbon 42t 530 rear sprocket I run on my ZX14R BST .
IMG_20190317_141858.jpg

IMG_20190317_132635.jpg

IMG_20210712_185951.jpg

IMG_20210719_175623.jpg

I’ve always heard the 1 tooth change in the front= 3 in the rear, so seems like the +1 front with +2 rear would almost cancel each other out. I ran stock front and 46t rear for awhile and that was fun! Only issue was the higher RPMs cruising on the highway. I decided to go the other way to see how I liked and a member here was kind enough to send me a 19t front for me to try with a stock rear. She is not as violent on take off, but the lower RPMs on the highway is nice. I liked it enough that when I replaced my sprockets and chain recently I kept the 19t front and got a 42t rear and I’m happy. I would love to run a 46t rear and stock front again, but who am I kidding? This is Florida and curvy roads are none existing so my time is pretty much spent on straight flat roads. If I lived near the tail of the dragon or something, then my setup wouldn’t be ideal for that type of terrain.
I have not tested my top speed and have no desire to find out, but gear commander says 207MPH or something like that, assuming you are not “fluffy” (use Gabriel iglesias voice) like me. LOL!

I’ve always heard the 1 tooth change in the front= 3 in the rear, so seems like the +1 front with +2 rear would almost cancel each other out. I ran stock front and 46t rear for awhile and that was fun! Only issue was the higher RPMs cruising on the highway. I decided to go the other way to see how I liked and a member here was kind enough to send me a 19t front for me to try with a stock rear. She is not as violent on take off, but the lower RPMs on the highway is nice. I liked it enough that when I replaced my sprockets and chain recently I kept the 19t front and got a 42t rear and I’m happy. I would love to run a 46t rear and stock front again, but who am I kidding? This is Florida and curvy roads are none existing so my time is pretty much spent on straight flat roads. If I lived near the tail of the dragon or something, then my setup wouldn’t be ideal for that type of terrain.
I have not tested my top speed and have no desire to find out, but gear commander says 207MPH or something like that, assuming you are not “fluffy” (use Gabriel iglesias voice) like me. LOL!
That was pretty much my thoughts is it would basically put me as going up just one in the rear and give me that top speed but I'm just not sure one up is enough to make my fluffyness get a quick as I want :lol:

Back