Gearing Questions!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I just learned a few things about my O8 busa that may be of interest to some of you?

I decided I would change my gearing to my old faithful 17/43. As you all know our new busas come with 18/43 gearing over the gen. 1 of 17/40. I had intentions of changing the front sprocket from 18 to 17 and taking a couple links out of the chain and all would be well.

I purchased a couple master links from my dealer along with a genuine Suzuki 17 tooth front sprocket. When I tried to fit the 17T sprocket I found the counter shaft was too large to fit into the sprocket. It appears the old gen busa has a 25mm counter shaft and the 08 has a 27mm shaft. I had my dealer check with Suzuki and they apparently do not have nor will thay have any sprocket other than the stock 18T.

On to plan B!

Now comes the delima of a bigger sprocket in the rear to gear the new scooter a bit lower. I happen to have a busa sprocket hanging on the wall so I was in business. All was well intended until I realized the 0ld gen. busa has six bolt holes in the sprocket and the New gen. only has five.

However, after some research, I found the new busa has the wheel hub directly off the GSXR1000. I happen to have a 45T Vortex Black Hardened Aluminum sprocket and it fit like a glove.

So now I'm two teeth up in the rear thanks to having a couple of Vortex sprockets for my GSXR1000 hanging on the wall. It appears I have enough stock chain to add one more tooth if I so desire.

Hope I may have helped someone out who is planning on changing the gearing on their prized 08 busa? I could have just posted up, the countershaft is bigger and the rear sprocket is directly off a GSXR1000, but then I wouldn't have gotten all this typing practice
laugh.gif

The splines on the new output shaft is completely different than any other on the market. It is a beefier shaft though which is good. Currently Brock is working on getting some front sprocket made up by vortex for the Gen II. You may want to give him a call and see what kind of progress and how soon he might have 'em.
thumb_up.gif

We sent Vortex one of our stock sprockets in Nov.. they will have something soon. I went up to a 45 in the back, looks good so far..:) 07 Gixxer 1K is the rear sprocket you want for the 08 Boosa

Tufbusa: Now that you have made the change; what would you recommend on the rear, 45 like you have or do you feel one more tooth to the 46 would be better? Thanx!

A 46T will work just fine. I just happen to have the 45 hanging on the wall for my GSXR1K. I will stick with the 45T simply because that's what I use on my GSXR1K. Not a real noticeable difference between the two so flip a coin and see how you like it?

Back