Gear slipping

buss05

WOOKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I've seen all the posts about the gears slipping between shifts and it happens to everyone at some point and I've seen it happen in almost every gear here on the board.

My question is what causes the slip? I've adjusted my shifter lever to try and avoid it but occasionally regardless of circumstance I still experience a slip. Is it a problem with the gearing in the trasmission? Is it a problem that can potentially result in damaged parts? It can't be good to be ripping through the gears, miss a shift, wrap it to 9000 RPM and have it kick into gear again. I'd love to know if there is a shaft or gear that can be replaced to avoid the slip or even if the slip was still there and I could avoid any damage.

It's a horrendous sound when those gears are grinding between those gears. Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem - happens occasionally and mostly in the higher gears. HORRIBLE grinding sound - heartbreaking
sad.gif

Help please...I changed to a lower octane fuel (89) and shifting is smoother...engine ride quality is smoother with less vibrations as well.

Weird eh?
rock.gif

I'd be more interested to know if it's just a cheap gear or shaft that can be replaced to get a more accurate shift. The gas thing is wierd though.

You need to learn how to shift the Busa. The transmission was designed to be strong, not smooth.

I was a little overzealous and used Shell 93 for a while. Flushed fuel lines and started using 89 and everything is much smoother.

What octane do you use?

This is not a FIX to the shifting problem. I also noticed that there is a proper shifting method - strong firm shifts really work. Also the timing of the "clutch pull and release" makes a difference.

You need to learn how to shift the Busa.  The transmission was designed to be strong, not smooth.
Have to agree w/ BW on this one. It's rugged. Are you positively sure it has nothing to do the way you may be shifting the gears? Do you always use the clutch when shifting up a gear?

Clutch shifting isn't the problem it's the power shifting that I notice it the most. This is the only bike I've ever ridden that is so particular. I think I'll just put a big suicide shifter on it and bang gears that way

Have not experienced the grinding or slipping, just the dreaded false neutral between 1 and 2 (
smile.gif
)
Anyways, regarding the fuel, my bikes run on 87 octane gas

no problem whatsoever.

I slipped a few at break-in...went to Mobil MX4T, don't know if it was just a breakin thing but sans break-in and switching to synthetic, tranny is MUCH SMOOTHER and not one missed shift.

Try the MX4T, great stuff.

The shifting problems usually go away with some mileage. How many miles do you have on your busa? Also, the Hayabusa is designed to run on 87 octane gas. When I used 92 in mine it ran worse, hotter,   and got bad gas mileage to boot. When the busa is ready for an oil change you will know it by the way it shifts. Hope this helps.

Do you always use the clutch when shifting up a gear?
Can you actually shift without using the clutch?

Won't that hurt the engine? Sorry, I really do not know this.

Never knew the BUSA was designed to run on 87 octane either. I will switch happily, though.

Back