Garbage Kickstand

i dropped mine like that,parked.left it for a bit then come back to it on its side! its not about how many busas you've had or how much experience.thats why the kick stand mod was done! because busas were falling over.it makes you feel like a right dumbass when it happens,i feel your pain bro.

if in doubt...notch it out.....I still dont understand, if they bike is gonna be parked, why some leave it out of gear..all you have to do is click and your done...i never had a problem with the stand, but still did mod it....i think half of the problem is not leaving it in gear...i have put the bike on a flat level surface in gear ensuring there is no forward play left put the stand down ensuring it is forward all the way and theres no way it can fall..unless you are on a hill, or some one pushes it back and then forth again and the stand gets stuck....ohh yeah or maybe an earthquake....:laugh:...the manual also suggest to always have it in gear when parked..:rulez: but this mod should be the first mod done....

Or leave it in gear!

They have been like this since day one, if Suzuki hasn't done any thing about yet, why would they!

They wont sell as many side fairings if they fixed the problem! :banghead:

I agree. The stand sucks for us but it's a +$$$$$ for mama Zuk

Sorry to hear that about your new bike.

Regardless of the steps one can take to fix the issue, I can't understand why Suzuki won't just make the fix at the factory (or with its supplier).

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a good, stock-looking aftermarket stand that resolves the issue?

Operator error my a$$ dude. I've been riding motorcycles for years and this is the first time this has happened to me. It doesn't take a genius to properly use a kickstand.

Gravity is to blame here. The heavy Busa is more apt to roll on the slightest of inclines than it's smaller siblings. Call it your ass or whatever, it's still operator error. Riding for years don't mean sh!t if you never do it correctly! You're right, it doesn't take a genius to properly use a kickstand, but it does take someone who knows how to read the owner's manual to properly park the bike.

58K on my 05 with no kickstand mod, but I have always done as the guys here suggest, leave in gear, roll forward taking out the driveline slack, lower the stand, and turn the handlebars. Even if you do the mod, like others have said, your busa could still fall over if left out of gear. But sorry about the damage.

I have shut all of my bike off the same way over the last 20+ years of riding. I have the bike in 1st gear, and put the kickstand down. The kickstand switch kills the engine. Let go of the clutch and push it forward until it stops, then lean it on the stand.

That also lets you know the sidestand safety switch is still working properly.

Sorry to hear about the bike going down man, I'm glad you already got her all fixed up.. I did the mod on mine, I didn't like how the stand sits so far back (almost straight up) when parked.. My Blackbird had a good sidestand, and also had the double stand that tucked nicely beneath the bike, that was a great stand for parking when the parking conditions were sketchy !! My Harley has a stand that locks into place when extended which prevents the bike from rolling forward, I wish they would put something as simple as that on all bikes...

I have shut all of my bike off the same way over the last 20+ years of riding. I have the bike in 1st gear, and put the kickstand down. The kickstand switch kills the engine. Let go of the clutch and push it forward until it stops, then lean it on the stand.

That also lets you know the sidestand safety switch is still working properly.

+1; this is the procedure I always use! Just don't forget to turn off the key.

If one can figure out the safe use of a side stand on a Husqvarna (worst ever) the Hayabusa is golden. Just use either or/and gravity and first gear to keep the stand fully engaged.

Dropped mine a couple weeks ago doing the same thing. Fortunately I was able to grab it before it hit the ground with full force. It broke the clutch handle end off, scratched the engine side cover, and put a few scratches on the fairing. I have a gravel driveway and thats where the scratches came from. Bought used handles for 25 bucks off ebay and will figure out a way to cover the scratches on the cover later.

"knock on wood" i have never experienced this and like most, i keep mine in gear when parked and i roll it back. regardless, it sucks and hopefully it won't happen again.

I guarantee it won't happen to me again. Now that I know it's a requirement on a busa to leave it in gear. Like I said, just wish I'd known before hand.

Sorry to hear about the bike going down man, I'm glad you already got her all fixed up.. I did the mod on mine, I didn't like how the stand sits so far back (almost straight up) when parked.. My Blackbird had a good sidestand, and also had the double stand that tucked nicely beneath the bike, that was a great stand for parking when the parking conditions were sketchy !! My Harley has a stand that locks into place when extended which prevents the bike from rolling forward, I wish they would put something as simple as that on all bikes...

Rode Harleys for over 25 years before my 1st Busa in '02 and because the HD's all had a locking kickstand(even my '54 Panhead in 1970)i never even gave the Busa kickstand a 2nd thought.You know the rest;put it in neutral letting it warm up a minute and while puting on jacket and helmet down it went...clutch lever/mirror/and a $500 piece of plastic.NOW i know about the mod.,and puting on the gear/sitting on it while it warms up...expensive ass lesson.

Did Suzuki address this at all by moving the lugs slightly or similar fix on the newest models?

Can't say bro,have a Gen II now and put an adjustable stand on it since it's lowered,also leave it in 1st gear now most of the time when parked.

Back