Future of motorcycling

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Was watching a show called "Motorcycle Experience" and they were talking to the MMIC who oversee the future of motorcycling by way of sales mostly.

The president of the group was mentioning off road motorcycle sales has really picked up due to the pandemic-kids are at home so the parents are discovering off road motorcycling..

The "so what" of this is maybe, just maybe the experience of riding as a youth might regenerate an interest in motorcycling in the future..??

The president of the group was mentioning off road motorcycle sales has really picked up due to the pandemic-kids are at home so the parents are discovering off road motorcycling..

I had to save up my paper route money two years to buy my Yamaha DT-100. It cost $575. That experience probably did pique my interest for later in life. I didn't get on my sport bike kick until 35 years later. Still at it after ten years.

I started on borrowed Suzuki 100 dirt bike, moved on to my own Kawaski KE100, then found the Suzi 550. That formed my love for motorcycles, and oh the 500 Interceptor! I still remember when they first advertised the Katana and I wanted one so bad. I have had a few bikes since then, now I ride my couch and I do scrape hard parts, but at the end of the day I cant imagine not having a two wheeled machine in the garage.

I had to save up my paper route money two years to buy my Yamaha DT-100. It cost $575. That experience probably did pique my interest for later in life. I didn't get on my sport bike kick until 35 years later. Still at it after ten years.
When I was 9 I traded a prize winning bull for a Suzuki 80 (with a chrome gas tank), it didn't take very long for my dad to get the bull back...I kept the bike but it was taken out of my hide instead...

I got the old man back though as I used to siphon gas out of his pick up truck, I carried 2 stroke oil with me and the tank was held on with wing nuts..I don't think that bike ever had the correct mixture in it...

@Bumblebee I guess I was lucky because my dad brought home free gas from his shop for me. I was probably about 11 when I got my DT-100. It had crankcase oil and I believe it had a second tank for oil that mixed with the gas. I don't believe I had to mix the gas with the oil. I took that bike almost entirely apart one winter and couldn't get it back together. Fortunately Dad and his cousin were able to help. I stripped the valve cover threads, I remember that. That was a whole summer of putting the bike back together and then I sold it when I was about 14. It had tin wheels. I literally destroyed one trying to remove a tire. Actually that was a nightmare of a summer but I guess I learned a few things.

I didn’t own a dirt only bike until my early 30s although I got to ride several when I was younger, a Maico 400, Bultaco Pursang, Yamaha 350 (I think) and a Badazz six speed Penton. I bought a CR250R Honda Elsinore that was also badazz in the dirt right up until I burned a hole thru the piston one day. :laugh: Looked like the one in the pic. What a screamer! Before I bought a street m/c I routinely got to ride a Honda 250 Scrambler and a Triumph Bonneville that belonged to a friend. My first street bike was a used Honda Super 90. Managed 68 mph laying down with the wind.:laugh: Traded it for a 49 Chevy fastback coupe. First new street bike was a 1970 CB 750-4.
208268AA-66BC-4DB1-B7D8-1E5AF9D0AE5D.jpeg

Wish I still had the Honda (and) the Chevy.:confused:

First bike was a Sears pull starter. Sold it and got a Suzuki TS90. It was a 2-stroker with a rotary valve. I put a motocross kit on it that made it into essentially a TM100. Loved dirt bikes. Had my eye on a KX250 and was saving my paper money for one. Then I got to ride an RM370, most amazing bike ever. So I started saving for the RM400 if memory serves me right. But I got to ride a KZ900 and forgot the RM I was saving for and was hooked on street riding.

First bike was a Sears pull starter. Sold it and got a Suzuki TS90. It was a 2-stroker with a rotary valve. I put a motocross kit on it that made it into essentially a TM100. Loved dirt bikes. Had my eye on a KX250 and was saving my paper money for one. Then I got to ride an RM370, most amazing bike ever. So I started saving for the RM400 if memory serves me right. But I got to ride a KZ900 and forgot the RM I was saving for and was hooked on street riding.

A friend and I built a mini bike with a rototiller motor, no brakes, hardly a seat but man was it fun! I didn’t feel the same way about dirt bikes. I felt more confident on pavement even at speed, than I did railing thru the dirt. I feel more stable leaned over @ 100+ in a wide sweeper than I do slip sliding around in the dirt, even though my speed in the dirt is nothing compared to the street. Rossi did both, with talent and skill. Still does, in GP racing and on his home track. How good would all of us be if we had our own dirt track in the back yard?:firing:

A friend and I built a mini bike with a rototiller motor, no brakes, hardly a seat but man was it fun! I didn’t feel the same way about dirt bikes. I felt more confident on pavement even at speed, than I did railing thru the dirt. I feel more stable leaned over @ 100+ in a wide sweeper than I do slip sliding around in the dirt, even though my speed in the dirt is nothing compared to the street. Rossi did both, with talent and skill. Still does, in GP racing and on his home track. How good would all of us be if we had our own dirt track in the back yard?:firing:
I would be dead!

BF00240F-39D0-4E3B-83E1-E23C3338D1D7.png
F3C83A07-9808-417A-8D23-76562FB48A5F.png
How’s this for a motorcycle of the future? Since Kawasaki bought 49% of Bimota they’ve stuffed their SC liter motor into this Bimota creation. Check the front suspension and the rear shock setup. Would love to ride this one. 221hp, 104T and 456 pounds dry.

View attachment 1626667View attachment 1626668How’s this for a motorcycle of the future? Since Kawasaki bought 49% of Bimota they’ve stuffed their SC liter motor into this Bimota creation. Check the front suspension and the rear shock setup. Would love to ride this one. 221hp, 104T and 456 pounds dry.

Honestly, in my opinion, that is one ugly beast. It looks like they magnetized it and dragged it through a parts bin LOL!

Ugly, well maybe. But the Bimota chassis and the hub steering specifically. It is supposed to be much better than forks in it's braking performance and turning too. So this is an interesting pairing, especially if the tech flows back to Kawasaki. If they were to put this front end on the SX Kawasaki would have the dominant power of a Busa and the amazing front end of a BMW. Interesting.....

Ugly, well maybe. But the Bimota chassis and the hub steering specifically. It is supposed to be much better than forks in it's braking performance and turning too. So this is an interesting pairing, especially if the tech flows back to Kawasaki. If they were to put this front end on the SX Kawasaki would have the dominant power of a Busa and the amazing front end of a BMW. Interesting.....
I don't know, when I see it dominate on MotoGP or superbike, I might buy into it...

I'm not sold on all that gadgetry.

I'd ride that Bimota in a blink! Different seems to attract me for whatever reason.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder-some people think the Hayabusa is ugly too and most of us seem to like it....

I draw the limit at that bike..the H2 is ugly to me as well.

Here it is, 200 HP, 200 MPH, 200 mile range.

I'd like to put a bar and slick on it and see what it can really do !

I'd say that is the future of motorcycling....seeing as Europe is the one calling the shots..they decide which bike is discontinued hence the demise of the Hayabusa and ZX14

Back