Harley going overseas

I would agree, but I think Harley has money problems too.

Don't get me wrong.. I think they are going to reap some financial gain by doing this but it will be based off of a political move without having to admit financial instability or challenges. It's really an opportunity for them to get out of the country as an AMERICAN MC company, save face, save some money and blame someone else all at the same time.

HD has been pretty open about their financial situation for some time people. They are only moving the product they sell in Europe there to avoid tariffs, a completely logical move. It's amazing people are questioning HDs motivation when it's obvious and not questioning Trump for illogical moves that leave people who understand economics scratching their heads.

HD has been pretty open about their financial situation for some time people. They are only moving the product they sell in Europe there to avoid tariffs, a completely logical move. It's amazing people are questioning HDs motivation when it's obvious and not questioning Trump for illogical moves that leave people who understand economics scratching their heads.
But, as said, and not to get into politics, Trump proposed fair trade across the board with all other countries...and they all refused.
So, rather than the U.S to continue to get ripped off, tough decisions for the short run, should make our country better off in the long run.
Say what you will about the man, but he has done more positive things for our economy than any other president in modern times.

Simply not true Sixpack. We enjoy an overall surplus with Canada and several other countries Trump has attacked. Makes no sense. Look at history. this sort of destabilization has twice led to job loss, recession, depression then world war.

Simply not true Sixpack. We enjoy an overall surplus with Canada and several other countries Trump has attacked. Makes no sense. Look at history. this sort of destabilization has twice led to job loss, recession, depression then world war.
I'm not a fan, and believe the way he is doing this could have been done better. But there is no question in my mind that what needs to be done is essential for the future of the USA. If you research Canada properly, their trade barriers in many instances are ridiculous. If you look at the report from GM, to sell a car in Europe they are at a 40% disadvantage to a local German made brand, the reason there are almost no GM products on the road over there. Don't even start talking about China, subsidizing trade to target specific US industries, dumping steel all over the world with government subsidies and then we import it from Europe and Canada. Then there is the technology transfer thing, where we can only start a company in China if it has a local part owner and we transfer the technology. What Trump is doing really bad, is not informing the uninformed about the intimate details of unfair trade.

Personally, I will go out of my way not to purchase things made in China. We helped them to become a major manufacturer and boost their economy to the second most prominent in the world. Their thanks received is one of trying to overpower the USA by illegal copying, stealing technology and targeting our industries in order to end as a world dominating economic power. Einstein use to say "An educated mind with no morals is a menace to society" That is China!!!

Don't look at surplus, look at trade by item and industry sector to judge what is fair.

Getting back to the original thread of Harley, they are in trouble with local domestic sales, not recently, but for a long time now. Their sales keep declining in the local market. Investors do like not non-growth stock and the analysts are punishing them. The new millennials are not buying Harleys. They are using the tariff as an excuse to reduce costs, but also to try and save their European market as a way to get past the Tariff. Trump believes he will eventually negotiate those tariffs away. As mentioned, I am not a fan of how he goes about it, but time will tell if his hard line attitude gets the needed results. This week, his Tweets sent the Stock Market all over the place and he learnt from that and got Steven Mnuchin to do some damage control, which worked to some extent. But expect him to be a bit more careful about what he says about all the negotiations taking place right now behind the scenes, as we go forward.

Last edited:
I had sport bikes long before my Harley's. I just bought my second Busa after 9 years on Harleys and one Kawasaki C-14.
I still have a Harley which has some luggage so is practical when I need to carry things and on longer rides for comfort. I am 61 now and really love being on a Busa again.

Harley Davidson has been pretty open
about their financial situation for some time people .

They are only moving the product they sell
in Europe there to avoid tariffs,
a completely logical move.

It's amazing people are questioning Harley Davidson's motivation
when it's obvious and not questioning Trump for illogical moves
that leave people who understand economics scratching their heads .

I am always amazed at what people think is an amazing engine. 130 hp is not going to knock the socks off anyone. Maybe you can ride it and even have fun on it but "monster"? Don't think so.

Back