Full Service Fluids

I've never serviced the FORK Oil and now you have me worried. I'll have to look at the vids and hope I can accomplish it. The Gen 1 of course is a 2004 I bought new. So, it surely needs a change of fluid. Thanks for the inputs.

oh really?
ironie off

- yes so urgent! the earlier the better.
and have a look at the inner pipe - if this frontwise shows a matte area the slide-ring inside the outer tube may have lost its dark grey inner (teflon)coating - check this really carefully!
the slide ring may need to be replaced when you see something copper colored shining through
this

non ironic - don´t forget the puke bucket near the fork before you open it.

what you definitely need , are these 4 tools to disassemble the fork´s legs
Grundstock_1.jpg

and if you are all alone in your garage
have a look at my 3rd hand - tool movie - a *.mpg with 27 mb - you should have the vlc-player available
(sorry in german - but i think the movie tells you picturally all you need)

the two chains are fastened with a M10 screw & nut at the fist´s caliper holder
the 3rd hand itself i made of 30 mm wide and 2-3 mm thick flat iron that i found in my scrap corner.

sorry i forgot something

tool no. 4 of the gen1 is too thick for gen2 - here you need a thickness of not more than 1.5 mm
and
tool no. 3 needs another inner thread
- gen 1 - i guess M10
- gen 2 - i guess M8

Last edited:
Very good and of course its great to have the right tools. I was looking at vids today but I didn't see yours. I like the chain leverage tool you have in the vid. I watched Del Boy Garage today and he made it look pretty easy. Thanks very much for this as I appreciate it.

oh really?
ironie off

- yes so urgent! the earlier the better.
and have a look at the inner pipe - if this frontwise shows a matte area the slide-ring inside the outer tube may have lost its dark grey inner (teflon)coating - check this really carefully!
the slide ring may need to be replaced when you see something copper colored shining through
this

non ironic - don´t forget the puke bucket near the fork before you open it.

what you definitely need , are these 4 tools to disassemble the fork´s legs
View attachment 1616162

and if you are all alone in your garage
have a look at my 3rd hand - tool movie - a *.mpg with 27 mb - you should have the vlc-player available
(sorry in german - but i think the movie tells you picturally all you need)

the two chains are fastened with a M10 screw & nut at the fist´s caliper holder
the 3rd hand itself i made of 30 mm wide and 2-3 mm thick flat iron that i found in my scrap corner.

sorry i forgot something

tool no. 4 of the gen1 is too thick for gen2 - here you need a thickness of not more than 1.5 mm
and
tool no. 3 needs another inner thread
- gen 1 - i guess M10
- gen 2 - i guess M8

It certainly doesn’t help.

In my opinion I think stock chains breaking has to do with a quality control issue from whoever makes the chains. It seems more common on the gen 2s. But I’ll have bikes come in with 15k and stock chains. But on the other hand I’ve seen them break in just 300 miles, and sometimes a few thousand.

$200 for a new chain is a lot cheaper then replacing cases.
I think I will order one too and replace it when I replace my rear tire. I only have 2550 miles on it right now though 2019. Does anyone know off the top of their head how many links are on the stock chain. I'd can always go out and count them.

Never mind I just will order the 120 length. I think 112 is the number.

Danke für die Info / Hilfe Berlin. Sehr gutes Setup mit Tools, die Sie dort haben. Nett. Ich wünschte, ich hätte diese Tools, aber ich werde bald zu diesem Projekt kommen und es erledigen. Mein Vater "geboren 1919" hatte damals einen sehr guten Freund ... sein Name war Mr. Ben Round und er war aus Deutschland. Sie waren beste Freunde und als Kind habe ich mit ihnen gejagt. Sie liebten es, ihre alte Krähe und ihren alten Großvater zu trinken, und der alte Ben war ein sehr guter Mann. Er erzählte immer Geschichten und sagte "da drin". Ich mag es einfach, manchmal Geschichten zu teilen und dachte, du würdest es schätzen. Ich wünsche Ihnen einen schönen Tag und bleiben Sie in Sicherheit.

@Skywalker
see also the pics on this page
there you can see exactly where and how i fastened the 2 chains for my 3rd hand.

Yes, 112 and those peeps at my link above will cut it for you. It will be on you to put it together.

I think I will order one too and replace it when I replace my rear tire. I only have 2550 miles on it right now though 2019. Does anyone know off the top of their head how many links are on the stock chain. I'd can always go out and count them.

Never mind I just will order the 120 length. I think 112 is the number.

Me to bud. I see some at the link at the bottom of that chain site but I'm betting the one C10 has is better. Think I'll go for the blue accented chain as that should look good on old Blusa.

Yep I need to get one of those tools like C10 used.

Skywalker, I just bought the exact EK ZVX3 chain (in green) from Amazon 2 weeks ago. 530 pitch, 120 links for $110. I checked other websites and they were all $165 to $185. I already have it on my bike. It was a great price. Check it out.

That is what I'm talking about. I like good deals and I'll watch & wait for it and I'll look now! Thanks Mokaw

Skywalker, I just bought the exact EK ZVX3 chain (in green) from Amazon 2 weeks ago. 530 pitch, 120 links for $110. I checked other websites and they were all $165 to $185. I already have it on my bike. It was a great price. Check it out.

Damn, I use Amazon tons but just didn't think about it. I was actually thinking Rob might even sale em and would have done that. I just bought mine and many thanks bro. Blue one to my door!

That is what I'm talking about. I like good deals and I'll watch & wait for it and I'll look now! Thanks Mokaw

my choice for my ´00 busa is the D.I.D. ZVM-x 530plus an automatic chain oiler (i love the "Scott")

by using the good old autom. oiler (from "Scott" without any electronic nonsense) my chain lasts for more than 50,000 km and i save, at minimum, 1 chain replacement plus good a dozen (or more) cans of spray over that milage.

okay the entire did-chain-set costs me 185 €
plus the scott oiler ~ 140 €
but i save estimated 12 x 15 € for the spray

in sum my costs are once 185 + 140 = 325 €
then i need no more spray ( - 180 €)
and i save the costs for 1 chain - set ( - 185 €)

the only add. costs i have are 12 € for a new front sprocket after every ~30,000 km

so i have no stress to spray the chain every 300-500 km
I don't have to bend down and therefore no pain in my back
and the refill of my scotty needs a minute or two after 1,000 km

and the very little amount of ("Scott") oil drops on the rim can be cleaned with an old towel in a minute or two.
no matter whether the rims are polished or painted - the time required is the same

so i love my autom. oiler and recommend this tool to evervbody. :)

my brother used at his ´01 busa the 1st chain for 104,000 km :shocked:
+ 3 front sprockets + estimated 1.5 liters of scott-oil.
so what did he saved - arithmetical - in money? i guess a lot !

That oiler worked out for you and brother. Looks like this may be the Scott you were speaking of? Interesting for sure.

Scott Oiler

my choice for my ´00 busa is the D.I.D. ZVM-x 530plus an automatic chain oiler (i love the "Scott")

by using the good old autom. oiler (from "Scott" without any electronic nonsense) my chain lasts for more than 50,000 km and i save, at minimum, 1 chain replacement plus good a dozen (or more) cans of spray over that milage.

okay the entire did-chain-set costs me 185 €
plus the scott oiler ~ 140 €
but i save estimated 12 x 15 € for the spray

in sum my costs are once 185 + 140 = 325 €
then i need no more spray ( - 180 €)
and i save the costs for 1 chain - set ( - 185 €)

the only add. costs i have are 12 € for a new front sprocket after every ~30,000 km

so i have no stress to spray the chain every 300-500 km
I don't have to bend down and therefore no pain in my back
and the refill of my scotty needs a minute or two after 1,000 km

and the very little amount of ("Scott") oil drops on the rim can be cleaned with an old towel in a minute or two.
no matter whether the rims are polished or painted - the time required is the same

so i love my autom. oiler and recommend this tool to evervbody. :)

my brother used at his ´01 busa the 1st chain for 104,000 km :shocked:
+ 3 front sprockets + estimated 1.5 liters of scott-oil.
so what did he saved - arithmetical - in money? i guess a lot !

Bryan, I do not speak German but used the computer to cheat and wanted to speak to Berlin in his language. I think most all of us on here takes immaculate care of our stuff and like you, I'll get many miles out of my stock chains. I pulled the front up on the Gen II past summer and had to pop that clutch to get it done. The Michelin stuck and it didn't spin a bit. That was the only time I've treated her rough.

The Gen I, I have it cross ways as in the rear trying to pass the front many times. My son's was very young then and was jumping up and down as that was the first time they seen the old man do anything like that. They were hooked. So, that chain seen that bit of stress but it didn't hurt anything. Like Rob said though, I'd die to destroy a motor cause the chain snapped.

I just watched your vid the other night of a wheelie after wheelie. I'd give anything to have the power out of my bikes at sea level vs that Colorado altitude. sux

Mike do you speak ,and read German?
Man to think I pushed my stock chain to 21,xxx miles ;) ofcourse immaculate care ,but lots of torture testing

Back