Clutch fluid flush

I found the same thing on my 03. But flushed it once a year a year, and that seemed to work fine. I've always used DOT 4. I put a braided clutch cable on the 05 today. When I tried to get the lid off the resouvior (sp) the screws were really tight. I don't think the lid had ever been off. Anyhow, found the same old sludge. Changed the cable, cleaned the master cylender, and added DOT 4. Good to go.

Yep, sludge. Notice how the brake res doesn't get as filty compared to the clutch side res.
wow.gif

Brake fluid takes on moisture from the air. This moisture reacts and makes an acid it eats rubber it also oxidizes and these two things cause it to turn dark. The moisture also lowers the boiling point of the fluid thats why its a good idea to change it on the brakes anyway.

(BA BUSA @ Dec. 24 2006,02:00) Dot 4 and a flush every year and you're GTG
biggrin.gif
if ya want to spend the extra for Dot 5
beerchug.gif
still should change it every year
wink.gif
Yep but the ultra pure poly glycol DOT 3 & 4 fluids are two times less compressible than the Dot 5 silicones are even when heated  " Dot 5.1 is a different animal ". The less the compressibility of a brake fluid will mean an increase lever feel or less of the spongy feel , however it needs to be put .

Diffusion coefficients " Fick's Law " , sorption through the rubber lines, effects on EPDM elastomers along with the carbon black loading process and the understanding of , might not be as important as just knowing to use a good DOT 4 fluid .....

And keeping it fresh . Ba Busa said it with less words
biggrin.gif

I use Prestone from Walmart FWIW

biggrin.gif

Not buying the dirt getting in from outside theory. If SOLID dirt can make its way in, why doesn't the brake FLUID (under incredible hydraulic pressure no less) leak out?

Some component in the Busa clutch system such as the cap seal, hose ect. must be more prone to breaking down when exposed to brake fluid overtime vs. the brake system.

(Turbo-Torch @ Dec. 24 2006,11:26) Not buying the dirt getting in from outside theory.  If SOLID dirt can make its way in, why doesn't the brake FLUID (under incredible hydraulic pressure no less) leak out?

Some component in the Busa clutch system such as the cap seal, hose ect. must be more prone to breaking down when exposed to brake fluid overtime vs. the brake system.
Answer this question, what would happen if you introduce some grudge inside a car cylinder housing or a grain of sand ?

Over a period of time what will happen to the sidewall ?

Along with...

Brake fluid takes on moisture from the air. This moisture reacts and makes an acid it eats rubber it also oxidizes and these two things cause it to turn dark. The moisture also lowers the boiling point of the fluid thats why its a good idea to change it on the brakes anyway

This is old news just passing on believe it or not.

This is how the clutch slave cover pushrod mod  (photo) I posted came about, keeping the gunk from wearing (scratching the cylinder wall) !

Gary2.jpg

(Rhythm @ Dec. 24 2006,12:36)
Gary2.jpg
So does the standard clutch rod pass through this tube then? Sort of a shroud to keep the goo out.

BTW thanks to everyone for all the input on this one! And Happy Holidays to all!

Well to add to the tread that might not anwser the question, when I changed my lines to Galfer SS, brake and clutch, I TOO noticed that the clutch side was a darker color than the brake side. This was after about 5k miles or 6 months. I flushed and Galfer DOT 4 and I feel better than I'm not the only one to have experienced this.

(bigoltool @ Dec. 24 2006,16:08)
(Rhythm @ Dec. 24 2006,12:36)
Gary2.jpg
So does the standard clutch rod pass through this tube then?  Sort of a shroud to keep the goo out.

BTW thanks to everyone for all the input on this one! And Happy Holidays to all!
Exactly, while covering the top of the cylinder area !

(Powers739 @ Dec. 24 2006,19:17) Well to add to the tread that might not anwser the question, when I changed my lines to Galfer SS, brake and clutch, I TOO noticed that the clutch side was a darker color than the brake side.  This was after about 5k miles or 6 months.  I flushed and Galfer DOT 4 and I feel better than I'm not the only one to have experienced this.
Your not alone, Powers739 !
cool.gif

doesn;t happen to brake because the dust is forced away fromt he pistons as it is made. Dirt is slung directly on the clutch slave cylinder.

Yes a clutch cover is good insurance.....but the question here is how to limit the dirt in the clutch line.

cheap fix is this...came stock on some busas.

part 27a
23166-02F20
Description COVER
Price $6.26

or I can supply you the billet piece shown by rhythm for $60 shipped in us 48 states.

garryb24@yahoo.com

(suzuki4life @ Jan. 18 2007,21:56) doesn;t happen to brake because the dust is forced away fromt he pistons as it is made. Dirt is slung directly on the clutch slave cylinder.

Yes a clutch cover is good insurance.....but the question here is how to limit the dirt in the clutch line.

cheap fix is this...came stock on some busas.

part 27a
23166-02F20
Description COVER
Price $6.26

or I can supply you the billet piece shown by rhythm for $60 shipped in us 48 states.

garryb24@yahoo.com
Wuz up you old dirty bastard, good to see you back postn again.
beerchug.gif

maybe a slight amount of piston seal residue coupled along with the fact that the fluid in that particular area see's more engine heat annnnd?...sediment sinks....too the lowest point...welcome to the lowest point...and that's my point...and?...my theory.
laugh.gif

Thanks fer ask'in and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

ok so I'm to understand that DOT4 brake fluid and DOT4 clutch fluid are one in the same? just Hydraulic fluid then? Can i just use the mini-vac pump to suck out old fluid from the reservoir and then put in fresh fluid and flush?

(JINKSTER @ Jan. 19 2007,16:10) maybe a slight amount of piston seal residue coupled along with the fact that the fluid in that particular area see's more engine heat annnnd?...sediment sinks....too the lowest point...welcome to the lowest point...and that's my point...and?...my theory.
laugh.gif

Thanks fer ask'in and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
I think Bill is right about it. Engine heat makes fluid dark.

DOT5 will destroy your cylinders and rubber lines over time. DOT5.1 can be used and is good as DOT4 for Busa.

I decided to get on this with 18.5k and 14 months on the clock. The fluid coming out wasn't much darker than the new Dot4. Maybe a shade or to darker at most. I evacuated the old fluid through the bleeder valve, which is the way I figured everyone was doing it.

Now I'm thinking I did something different since everyone seems to be getting nasty stuff out the other end.

rock.gif

(redkat05 @ Jul. 13 2007,13:23) ok so I'm to understand that DOT4 brake fluid and DOT4 clutch fluid are one in the same? just Hydraulic fluid then? Can i just use the mini-vac pump to suck out old fluid from the reservoir and then put in fresh fluid and flush?
Brake fluid is used for the brakes and the hydraulic clutch too.

Clean out the reservoirs as best you can, but don't take out too much or you'll have a harder time
bleeding them.

Suck out some of the old fluid, then put in some fresh fluid...swish it around in the reservoir to break
loose the sediment...then suck it out again...refill and bleed the lines  
wink.gif

Man this is like an oil thread! remove the cap, sop the ugly dark fluid up with a clean cloth, nappy or suck it out with a baster! Who cares just don't get it on the paint. Don't pump the lever and you won't have to bleed the system even if you take all fluid out and clean the reservoir. Dot 4 from a clean unopened container fill to window half way or back to the old level. All the clutch parts move farther every time you squeeze it than the brake s do all there life! Think about it. Its mostly the wear of the master! How will particals move up from the slave? Dot 5 on reg street use is a wast! its not made to be run for long, won't obsorb water but will let it lay @ the lowest point. Your calipers! what gets the hottest? It can then boil can't it. Its made for racing where its changed all the time!
lurk.gif

The issues specifications for brake fluid. The three main types of brake fluid now available are DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5. DOT3 and DOT4 are glycol-based fluids, and DOT5 is silicon-based. The main difference is that DOT3 and DOT4 absorb water, while DOT5 doesn't.

Back