Full Exhaust Advice

GMKILLER5.0

Registered
I am going to be installing a full exhaust system on my 05 LE. I'm just looking to see that I have everything covered, and don't get it started, and forget something. I know you need the PAIR valve block off plates, I got that covered, I have a PCIII already, and my exhaust. What else needs to be done? Are there extra vacuum lines that need to be removed, capped, re-routed, etc? Any help, pointers, short cuts, tips anything would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing, I will have a stainless header, what's the deal, should I wrap it, to help keep the heat in or what????

Thanks!!!!!!!

I am going to be installing a full exhaust system on my 05 LE. I'm just looking to see that I have everything covered, and don't get it started, and forget something. I know you need the PAIR valve block off plates, I got that covered, I have a PCIII already, and my exhaust. What else needs to be done? Are there extra vacuum lines that need to be removed, capped, re-routed, etc? Any help, pointers, short cuts, tips anything would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing, I will have a stainless header, what's the deal, should I wrap it, to help keep the heat in or what????

Thanks!!!!!!!
most will say not to wrap the pipe no extra vacuum lines only going to be plugging one and removing another, if you cant get it tuned or mapped right away ask someone from here or ryan schnitz(sponser) he may have a map for your bike and pipe.....

OK, redloctite all the fasteners, so they dont back out?

Ultra Copper, for the header gaskets? and the PAIR block offs?

And, I will have to plug one, and remove another, seems simple enough, would you care to elaborate on that?
And as far as the tune goes, I am not looking for every bit of power right now, I will probably just run a map from Dynojet.

Thanks!!

I have read all the posts on the small air box mod, and plan to do it as well.

2 more beginer questions:

#1. I've seen where a hose I believe going to the air box is blocked off, sometimes people talk about using marbles. What's the deal with that? can I assume this has to do with the PAIR system?

#2. To do the small air box mod, I obviously need to remove the entire air box, but does the fuel tank have to be taken off the bike, or just propped back?

Thanks!!

Here is my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. Make sure you have new exhaust gaskets, before you install the exhaust I recommend removing the oil cooler and radiator this will make installing the exhaust easier on you. If you remove the radiator make sure you get some new coolant to put back in the system. I also recommend getting some rubber caps to block off the pair valve vacuum spots on the throttle bodies and air box you can find them at auto zone or some parts house. other than that I think you have everything pretty much covered :welcome:

Here is my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. Make sure you have new exhaust gaskets, before you install the exhaust I recommend removing the oil cooler and radiator this will make installing the exhaust easier on you. If you remove the radiator make sure you get some new coolant to put back in the system. I also recommend getting some rubber caps to block off the pair valve vacuum spots on the throttle bodies and air box you can find them at auto zone or some parts house. other than that I think you have everything pretty much covered :welcome:

I would go ahead also and put some new exhaust gaskets since you are already there and they aren't expensive
Posted via Mobile Device

That's cool. I already planned to throw new gaskets, that's a no brainer.

Thanks for the info on the fuel tank too!!!!

Anymore great tidbits, are always welcome.

Thanks.

Take your time, and you'll notice it's not a difficult as it may sound. :beerchug:

If you're going to wrap your pipes it's 100 times easier if you do it before installing them.

As far as the bull about NOT wrapping.... I've said it to many times... Wrap them if you want, don't wrap them if you don't want to. Either way there will be NO damage to your exhaust system.

That's cool. I already planned to throw new gaskets, that's a no brainer.

Thanks for the info on the fuel tank too!!!!

Anymore great tidbits, are always welcome.

Thanks.

Removing the Rad and cooler will let you change out all your main fluids at one time. Just make sure to burp the coolant system well.

I don't think I necessarily need to change all my fluids. I'm going to change the oil, for sure, but I don't plan to remove the radiator unless I find it necessary.

What's the point of the Muzzy fan?? Is it necessary?

Thanks.

Don't remove the rad and oil cooler, just un bolt them from and push them forward as far as you can. Take care not to damage the solid oil cooler lines. Remove the fan from the radiator. Cover the fins with a large piece of cardboard. This will give you plenty of room. If you plan to replace the fluids anyway, then go ahead and remove everything for best access.

Wrapping won't do any harm, I did mine.

Muzzy fans have better blades and allow for slightly better cooling. An easy job to do if the fan is out.

I've reused my gaskets a couple times...if I had some handy I would've replaced them. No big deal, no leaks.

When you remove the pair valve there will be a hose going up to the airbox. Pull that hose. The hole where it was on the bottom of the airbox needs to be plugged. People that do the marble mod haven't removed the pair valve. You can cover the hole with a lil rubber cap or even cork it. Some have put a screw in it or even taped it off. I went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought a little rubber cap that fit right on.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
That's all good advice.

I don't think I need to flush my radiator or change fluids, the bike only has 1500 miles.

The muzzy's fan that you guys talk about is the Aluminum one on their site? It's like $40??

Thanks

Back