Fuel mileage,and after market exhaust

You say who cares, well I do , Im getting 46 mpg with my Busa on the hiway Its stock . Has anyone keep track of their mileage w/after market exhaust. Typicaly we would see a increase,is there one?

More power comes with a price, probably about 10 less with a new pipe, but that's still just as good as my hamster fed car.. ;)

45mpg putting around 30mpg beating on it.Yosh tri-oval,bmc,airbox mod,yosh cams,+5+5+10 setting,mobil1 synthetic,check my mpg with fillups and computer.

Not sure why this would reduce mileage at normal cruising speeds (vs. when flogging it). Let's say you richen the mixture with a new pipe, and make more power. When you are at cruising speeds that should mean you need less throttle to maintain a given speed. So the increase in fuel richness is offset by less throttle so maybe mileage difference is a 'wash'.

I could see if you are flogging it, and making more power, that your mileage would decrease. But at regular cruising speeds why would it decrease?

I like the fact that my friend on his R1 has to fuel up before I do.

Rick, you won't see any mileage increase, since the stock setup flows well. A slip-on exhaust won't change mileage, since it doesn't require much if any richening of the mixture. Slip-ons don't do much for power, either, although some look and sound nice. A full system will drop mileage typically 10% due to the richer settings. Power usually goes up also, and there is usually a significant weight reduction.

CanuckBusa, I'm not sure why, in theory, but I've done the full system on several bikes and I've always gotten the decrease in mileage, even when just stroking along.

If I had to guess, I'd say that most bikes come from the factory in an extremely lean condition for emissions reasons and just getting the mixture more correct will use a bit more fuel.

Back