Fuel Mileage

Who really gives a rat's mustache whether yopu get 34 or 40? Beats the hell out of the 18-22mpg most people get in their cars.

The first thing I realized after buying the busa is to never start really giving a shoot about going through tires or gas...the sooner you can come to this conclusion the more sane and less stressed you will be about the whole situation. I recall someone saying they got 13k out of their rear and didn't ride like grandma...riiiiiight.
rock.gif
they probably didn't have the sense to realize it was in km.

I had a TRE, but when I took it off my mileage went from 37 to 41. Not much of a difference but it is running leaner (less soot on exhaust). I have 4000 miles on my bike and the rear tire is about gone.
wow.gif

Once you start modding you will lose mpg.. Bone stock I used to get 42 to 45 mpg, now Im lucky to hit the 36mpg range..but im having so much fun on this bike I could care less about MPG

1. Use 87 octane gas. Don't use 91 or you'll kill your gas mileage.
2. Change your plugs if it's been a while.
3. If it's been a while, check your tappet clearances and adjust if needed.
4. Also, synch your throttle bodies.

That usually works for me!

--Wag--

Sounds about right with the bags and play time as everyone else has said. I get between 32-50 depending on fun or sun and does it really matter - well to the mizer mind side of me - it does cause an eyebrow to raise a little. But the grin more than pays for the low mpg. I have about 7300 M on my 06. With the full T Akropovic-FP Velocity Stacks-PCIII mapped in 4th (getting that redone on a 970(?) this year)-TRE-K&N-Valve Block-lowered 1-1/2 and double bubble WS I didn't notice much of a change at cruise. Now step it up and play - how can you not - it drops big time::1 . I did notice the DB WS did make a difference even at crusing by 1-2 mpg. Wind is a big factor and those bags don't help, might as well put a chute behind you. All in all - does it mean that much - lol! Have a safe trip or hope you arrived safely.

I was having the same problem for a while, thought it was my map but i just had my plugs changed and fixed it right up. im getting high 40's again. give it shot if your plugs are older.

+1 on the octane rating.
With 91 I average 36mpg on the highway, with 87 I average 45mpg.

I run only 87 octane fuel and I also changed to a 18/40 sprockets when I replaced the chain. My digital mpg is deadnutz on as is my speedo as checked against radar & gps... so, I tend to believe it.

One thing I can say about such long trips is that I can try several different ideas along the way. Staying tucked does make a difference as also not wearing the outer liner on my JunkRocket AlterEgo jacket cause it flaps so much.

I'm going to hook the PCIII back up and set the TRE to stock. Which plugs should I buy?

Well it looks like the TRE in the stock mode gives the best fuel economy. I switched it from 6th gear setting to stock and the mpg went up from 34-35 to 38.7 this last tank of fuel.

I'm sitting here taking a break at Talladega Speedway. Looks like the ride today will be a beautiful one! Thank God... I paid my dues on the way up to Atlanta so the least I should receive is sunshine.

I went through a similar type thing. I had a bone stock bike and was getting 42 in town and about 51 on hwy. (Digital readout on bike). That all chnaged when I did a throttle body sync. Bike ran a LOT better but my mileage sucked. WEnt down to about 32 and 40 respectively. I checked everything like 3 times. Nothing seemed amiss. You could smell raw gas on accelration and deceleration and the starting became more like 6 srvonds of cranking rather than 1.

I was pretty perplexed. Checked my readout on Throtter Position Sensor. Said it was OK. So I lived with it awhile. Then it was sugeested I reset the ECU. It may be looking at the old TPS setting and doesn't recornize that the TBs are in a slighty different position after the sync.

That did the trick for me. I then added a PC III running a stock map and I am even better on my mileage now. But to get these numbers you drive like a grandma. I can watch that average drop dramatically when I twist that throttel open agressively. If I keep the RPMs a gentle 3K and below, she sips the fuel.

36-37 mpg consistantly! Bone Stock. Variety of riding but mostly commuting. Anybody who buys a 500LB, 155hp, 186mph motorcycle and expects it to be a two wheeled Prius is missing the boat. Just Ride baby!

(Wag @ Apr. 11 2007,22:26) 1. Use 87 octane gas.  Don't use 91 or you'll kill your gas mileage.
2. Change your plugs if it's been a while.
3. If it's been a while, check your tappet clearances and adjust if needed.
4. Also, synch your throttle bodies.

That usually works for me!

--Wag--
I've tried 87 v 92.I lost 3mpg on 87.premium wins.Thats with stock tune.

I have mild cams , std bore Wiseco's just to bump the compression with some added valve to piston clearnce along with some head work and get like 45-46 when on interstate cruise mode . It's all in the mapping unless the cam centers verge on overscavenging at a given RPM . Doubtfull scenario there .

I am TRE'less BTW
biggrin.gif

Stock engines even if piped could get around 50mpg  if the map is correct .

The only time I got 40+ mpg was the 1st week that I owned her, after that it was 34-36 mpg depending on how I rode. Remember, that it is an average so a romp on the throttle a couple of times to pass those painfully slow cars on a short passing zone can drop those numbers and its also linked to your tripometer.
bluegrab.gif

Back