Registered
Have a 2005 LE Busa

Mods to date
- PCIIIusb
-Johnny Cheese map
-Full Micron Exhaust
-Small Airbox mod
-Pair valve removed & Reaper plates/gaskets added

Ok now here's the problem. With stock setup, I was getting about 41 - 42 mpg.

When I added the Micron exhaust just by its self, I was getting about 38 mpg.

Now with all the mods done, JC map, small airbox mod, Micron exhaust, pair removal, & pcIII Im getting fuel mileage from about 27 to 31 mpg. Stock Gearing I might add.

Now here the real kicker, the higher the rpm I cruise around at ( say 4000 rpm instead of 3200 ) The better mileage I get...doesnt matter if Im in the city or on the Hwy. On JC's map I decided to richen the bike up by 2 bars on the pcIII for the low setting of the 3 buttons, but even before that my mileage was the same.

Has my bike gained that much more HP that this is normal fule consumption? Did the airbox mod kill my mileage...and if thats the case I could understand if I was driving below 40000 rpm all the time, but I tend to cruise at about 4K and above, as I dont like to lug the motor & have instant power on tap. My Busa seems to be running strong, almost scarey strong, but could the map killed my mileage compared to running a stock map. And than Im confused there also, becuase before I installed the pcIII, and the JC map and was just running the bike with the micron exhaust...the sucker was running rich...I mean you could smell it, and I was getting far better mileage.

Any clues...Have I messed something up? I have a stock airbox comming from Speed King from sh.org, and will swap out to see if it is the box mod is causing the issue.

Yah, Im aware of that, however....15 mpg difference...is that normal for the mods Ive done?
rock.gif

HP = less mpg.
HP = increased volumeric efficiency .

You can take a stock 26 mpg 1972 VW , cam it , good heads and twin carbs and get HP and 38 mpg . There will be a sweet spot in the RPM range where best MPG occurs though .

Running way rich can hurt ring seal and gas up the engine oil . Combine a rich map with a overoiled KN and it's double whammy .

Get a map made for your bike and the altitude where you live is my suggestion . Small airbox mod is A-Ok to have and is not the problem IMO .

Valium i was averageing around 35mpg when i had HMF high mounts and a small air box mod with 17 40 gearin with 17 42 it was about 32mpg then with built motor and 16 42 it went to 25mpg now with 17 42 im in the 28-30mpg area hopeing i find a better sweet spot cause for highway travel i could really use some better stuff

On JC's map I decided to richen the bike up by 2 bars on the pcIII for the low setting of the 3 buttons [/QUOTE]

...well if you have done that you no longer have JC'smapin your bike. The momnet you change the fuel setting on the buttons of the PC3... it changes the entire map!! Thats what I was told by a couple of tuners...id suggest you talk it out with JC once to confirm

I talked to power commandre, and here the info I got...pretty basice, and correct me if Im wrong.

-There is a Low , Med , High ranges on the box, and when hooked via usb you can see exactally where the 3 ranges are, but basically your entire rpm band is split in 1/3rd's

- Say were in the low range, I believe for Busa it is 0 to 3450 rpm. the bars on the pcIIIusb will indicate a 0 setting (or double bars as indicated) reguardless of who's map is loaded, as a custom map or tuner typically will not mess around with the buttons, and what you see on the pc screen is what you get.

-Yes, I'm running a Johhnycheese map ( darn good ), but since the map is not completely custom for my bike there will be spots that need adjusting. Now the best thing is truely a custom map, but I havent done that yet, so Powercommander people told me that for every Lighted bar I raise or take away from the lighted module is actually a + or - 2 on the map, however if you look at the map on the pc it will not show your new setting.

- For the Busa the "Fuel Table" reads 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,80,100. I have made marks on my throttle to show me where each range number falls in corresponding to rpm. so lets say the Johnnycheese map for my bike at position 5% stutters for me a little bit, and Im see a value on the map of -3 at 1750 rpm, if I just use the powercommander buttons to adjust 1 bar up I would go to a -1 setting, but the map would still show -3 until I changed the value in the map on the pc via usb cable.

- I do not believe this + setting would change anything in the mid or high button setting, but yah I do believe the whole rpm range for the low zone would be bumped up +2, however with this info I can than go into my map, look at the original settings and if the +2 (by adding 1 bar on the powercommander buttons) helped, I can add that value to the specific rpm range and not adjust anything else. Now say at 1750 richening it up by +2 (1 bar) is good, and that same setting for 2000 rpm on the table is to rich, well than I know to keep the original value, or -1 bar.

-Im probably making this real confusing, but I think of the box and the buttons as a tool to help me dial in the biks, and since I have marked the zones on my throttle, I can hook up the pc to the computer and refine the changes instead of making 1 big blanket change to 1 of the 3 zones. Now if I do make the change on the map via the usb cable, than I would want to put that zone back to a " 0 setting or double bars", otherwise I would have added to the map double.

Johnnycheese, whats your input on this...Am I way off base here?

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123358354 -->

shenoyp- my response below is not to you, but to those who keep asking me for a JC map.

Now if I compare Johnnycheese map to the Micron map from Powercommander I see some drastic differences in rich, and lean value settings. I do not Believe Johnnycheese wants his map info all over the net, he was nice enough to supply me with a map, and answer lots of my questions on the phone, so out of respect I wouldn't do such a thing unless he didn't give 2 beans about all his hard work. And his map must be pretty good since Ive recieved several requests for his map and my response is "go ask JC for a map".

I would say if a person were to use the Powercommander map for "Micron" beause that what Im running, It looks to me that their values are too Lean, and I belive this would cause a lot of the choppy throttle. Richening it up in several spots I believe would be good to smooth thing out without a TRE. Knowing this, It would be in someone's best intrest to mark the throttle position on their bike, and take note of lean and rich spots, and make small adjustmens via the power commander bars. If you get a positive reponse, than make the changes in the map, and reset the module back to 0 or double bars after you have changed the map values. Again I believe 1 lighted bar is = to 2 numbers + or - on the map itself.

but yah I do believe the whole rpm range for the low zone would be bumped up +2 [/QUOTE]

...Yup thats correct!!

The air box mod will drop your fuel mileage. I get like 25 miles to the gallon when I'm riding hard

When mine only had the small airbox mod and drilled out stock mufflers an naturally a tre. If just cruising--50 mpg often. Now with the muzzy and PCII , at first it lowerd milage to the low 40mpg range. Then last monday i was out on a big ride-- went wfo several times 159 gps the abit later i hit 166 with some 1st and 2nd and 3r gear blasts inbetween--I pull in for gas--could not believe when i saw the fuel pump readout 1.9 gallons in 103 miles. I don't get it!!!

Back