Fuel Mileage

Tango1300

Registered
Okay... maybe its me and most likely i thought it was my MAP. My Busa has 25000 miles on it, a TiForce Sumo exhaust, removed the PAIR and a BMC filter with PCIIIusb.

Before I did all this, I could see 40+ mpg cruising on the interstate. Now I am LUCKY to see 36 mpg. I thought it might be my tune, so I disconnected the PCIII and just let it run stock tune... mileage still sucked and actually sucked worse with a best of 34 mpg!!

Only advantage to disconnecting the PCIII was that my throttle was less sensitive which helped riding in the rain all day yesterday.

Any suggestions? I just changed my oil the day before and that usually helps a little. I'm about to ride back another 861 miles tomorrow and wondering if its the GiPro. I have it set for a 6th gear map.

Thanks in Advance!

I would be happy with 36mpg, I get more like 33 to 34. Of course it might be the 45 tooth sprocket in the back or the way i ride. It used to read about 40mpg until i installed the speedo healer, it registers the correct MPH now and i guess that fixed the MPG as well.

Usually get around 45 on long rides. 40 around town
super.gif

According to my digital readout I get around 30mpg. Wow, how are you guys getting such good mileage?

Maybe a silly question are you sitting differently or carrying a passenger?

I am running this trip with Saddle bags but I cannot believe they are hurting my mileage by 3-5 mpg

I'm wondering if I change the TRE to stock map instead of 6th if that will help

Wow! are you always hard on the throttle out of the shoot? I ride smooth most of the time everyonce and awhile on it fast and i'm at 9000 miles and getting between 40 and 45.

(Spike @ Apr. 11 2007,18:39) Never anyone but me and I sit just like everyone else as far as I know.
I notice when I am sitting up more or when jess is riding with me my gas mileage is lower on the interstate.

Well I haven't commonly done longer rides, just commuting for the most part. I pretty much see stop and go traffic all the time. Could that be it?

I don't think I hit it very hard... Well maybe... not sure. I don't know who to compare it to, I ride alone.

My wife just told me if I ride like I drive then I am pretty heavy on the throttle. Hmmm, reality check I guess.

haha..hard not to be on the throttle.

I would think that if you sit alot in traffic then that could be what is causing it to be so low. The more you sit your burning the gas and going nowhere.
crazy.gif

(Tango1300 @ Apr. 11 2007,15:48) I am running this trip with Saddle bags but I cannot believe they are hurting my mileage by 3-5 mpg

I'm wondering if I change the TRE to stock map instead of 6th if that will help
On a bike as aerodynamic as a Busa, I can easily see saddle bags affecting your mileage that much.

It's like adding two additional poorly made windshields. Bet those saddle bags would also knock 10+ mph off your top end speed.

Thats crazy! My readout tells me 49.8 highway and about 45-47 in town and about! I drive like a grandma but still I dont see how mine could read that high? Ive heard the mpg thing is pretty acurate.....o yeah I havent got over 5k rpm yet so could that be why Im gettin that kind of mpg?

My first tank I got like 25 mpg Now at 2500 miles I get right around 35 I do however live in the country and commute 44 miles 1 way to work on it 30 of which is on the interstate and 5 miles in the city. But every morning when i get off of the dirt road at 0510 I hit the gas rise her up and burn out the moisture from the oil in first. I usually cruise at or around 75-80 mph not tucked in any fashion almost standard seating position. Hope this helps. On the weekends when I play here I get around 30.

Short Version:  Your mileage sounds just about right.

Long Version:  According to your initial post, you USED to get 40+ before the mods.  That is what I used to get as well.  I would get 43-45 on the highway just cruising w/ steady throttle. (16/42 gearing as well)

Add the mods: Akra Race full 4-1, PCIII, BMC race filter, Pair block off, all short stacks, and custom tune.  Now I get about 32 MPG (I got 27 when tearing it up last weekend on the backroads!).  My BEST when cruising on the highway has been 35, but I haven't been able to run any long trips yet with multiple tanks of gas.  

ALSO.. here in Oregon, we have bad gas through the winter months and mileage in ALL vehicles drops by a LARGE amount.  The stations start pumping the "good gas" about this time of year again, so maybe it will come up again... but I know it won't get back over 40.

Performance comes at a price...Extra performance takes extra fuel.  But it sure runs a HELL of alot stronger!  
super.gif

I wonder about the digital read out for MPG cause i've seen as high as 50 mpg on the highway and as low as 28 on my to and from work days... i'm not a lead wrist rider by any means either... could be the 6th gear map and the saddle bags... try running home with the TRE turned off and see... now is as good a time as any to see if it makes a difference right?

Back