fuel milage ?

bamatitan

Registered
i have an 04 with 5500 miles .i removed the pair valve,installed a k&n filter,changed the plugs and put royal purple oil(10w-40)in it.i did shorten the stock cans to!before the tune up the mileage meter was saying 32.7 mpg or so. it now reads 35.5 to 35.8 better but still not the 40 plus i read about on here.the guy i bought it from claims it got 41 all day long.any ideas would be very welcome.thanks in advance :please:

i have an 04 with 5500 miles .i removed the pair valve,installed a k&n filter,changed the plugs and put royal purple oil(10w-40)in it.i did shorten the stock cans to!before the tune up the mileage meter was saying 32.7 mpg or so. it now reads 35.5 to 35.8 better but still not the 40 plus i read about on here.the guy i bought it from claims it got 41 all day long.any ideas would be very welcome.thanks in advance :please:

How are you riding it, Mine can get 50 mpg if I baby the hell out of it, Normal riding 42 - 45, Having a play day 38

I don't have much faith in those mileage meters. Check it the old fashoned way. My 08 got 49/50 during the breaak-in.

I agree, don't trust the meters, figure it the old fashioned way for an accurate read on it.

How you ride will play a big part, I can hit 50 on my meter if I baby it and take it easy, 31 if I run hard. Also experiment with different gasolines, different brands will burn differently. I only burn Shell, Bp or Amoco brands and only use 93 octane. Octane ratings will affect mileage as well.

Oh and the color of the bike, white is by far the most aerodynamic and fastest, just something else to keep in mind...........:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I* get 50mpg on a JOY RIDE,and I get 44mpg-46mpg on a PLAY DAY...1 suggestion I would have. if you are a casual rider, try shifting at a lower RPM. I shift at 2500 rpm....my:2cents:

OK I have had always gotten like 46 -50 MPG the other day i went for a short ride(75miles) an only got like 35- 38. It was mostly highway miles and then I realized i was feeling frisky and never took the bike out of fourth on the highway. that's why i at least had my problem with mine. Went for a ride the next day on the highway put in 6 th at 70 MPH and BAM! was back up to 47-49 MPG. All though it was only a small difference in RPM's from 4th to 6 th it made a big difference on how far I went on my tank of fuel. This may not be ur case, just my 2 cents,

You should easily get 45-50 out of it while cruising the highway,if not there is something wrong.:beerchug:

I was getting 38-44 before I put a 42T sprocket on back.Now I average 30-33 playing around,the most I get now is 40.Before I got to know the bike It showed 50.

i have an 04 with 5500 miles .i removed the pair valve,installed a k&n filter,changed the plugs and put royal purple oil(10w-40)in it.i did shorten the stock cans to!

no K&N for me, i prefer the stock filter. also i run no more than 89 octane if possible. from Dothan, AL to Douglasville, GA (west of Atlanta) i did right at 240 miles on the tank before i filled up. that was a mixture of interstate and back road driving. that trip got me an average of 48 mpg and i had my saddle, tank, and tail bags on so wasn't overly aerodynamic.

i am very smooth on the throttle and don't have a tendency to twist more than necessary on a trip like this.

i am contemplating on going to 16/42's soon for some Tennessee / Kentucky / North Georgia rides and will be curious to see how much i drop with the lower gears.

hey guys,
thanks for the input.i ran some seafoam through it and actually inflated the tires to the proper level(give me a break i am from bama)and voila 42 mpg! :cheerleader:

I see a very broad range of efficiency depending on what kind of riding I do. During one tank of gas on my ride to Oklahoma, I got 48.5 mpg. During heavy stop and go commuting here in St. Louis, I've seen as low as 32 mpg. I don't see how in the world I can very by as much as 50%, but that's been my experience. No other vehicle I've ridden has varied that much.

I see a very broad range of efficiency depending on what kind of riding I do. During one tank of gas on my ride to Oklahoma, I got 48.5 mpg. During heavy stop and go commuting here in St. Louis, I've seen as low as 32 mpg. I don't see how in the world I can very by as much as 50%, but that's been my experience. No other vehicle I've ridden has varied that much.

Was your trip to Caps or were you in OKLA for another reason, If not Caps what part of OKLA were you in.

I pull 40-45 checking it the old fashion way. That includes my normal commute to work wich runs around 85-90 mph. But I shift early.

Sprockets change things quite a bit.
If you don't have a speedo healer or GPS and a calculator:
--quicker(e.g. 16/42) = better than stock
--faster (e.g. 18/36) = worse than stock
It's caused by "incorrect" speed sensor readings.

Stock the front sprocket revolves 2.35 times to make the rear tire turn once, at 16/42 it turns 2.63 times at 18/36 is turns twice. But the speed sensor doesn't know what sprockets you're sporting...it's hard coded to use the stock value for calculations.

The transmission works in a similar fashion. IF you could drive everywhere in 6th you'd get the best mileage because the motor turns fewer times to travel a given distance. Of course that's easier in theory than practice, but it does explain why early shifting (say at 2500) conserves gas. And why mileage is better on the highway than in town.

Back