pair valve mod question (again)

scooterlord

Registered
i read recently about the pair valve mod. I have a pair of yoshi's and k&n filter installed and about to install the pc3 usb. I am not having any blue flames so far, but am concerned about this.

i've found many topics about pair valve, why it is removed, how it is done, etc, but have no idea what the pair valve actually does. is it necessary for the bike? do you gain anything else when removing it other than gettring rid of blue flames?

It pulls fresh air from the airbox and injects it into the exhaust to make the bike pass the sniffer test the govt requires to pass emissions testing. The vavle does not have to be removed to do the "mod" and stop backfires. All you have to do is plug the line from the airbox with a marble or bolt. If it can't pull air from the airbox it can't inject it into the exhaust.
wink.gif

It's not necessary for proper operation of the bike but it may be necessary if you have to pass emissions to get your registration. If you plug the line instead of removin' the PAIR garb it's as simple as unpluggin' it for testing and pluggin' it back after you pass...
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: "Can't type for shid..."|1098882126 -->

wink.gif

Meant to post a pic of the line you need to plug... if you want to disable the PAIR.

Lift the tank and it's at the back of the airbox on the throttle side...

23428025.jpg

The Brock Davidson PAIR block off kit comes with this cap to use when you remove all the PAIR garb. If you plug this nipple and put the hose back on, or plug it from inside the airbox it does the same thing...

23428026.jpg

I've heard you gain a hp or two without it....but I've never seen the dyno charts of pair/no pair comparasin. Makes sense though IF it decreases the amount of air flowing into the engine.

Sorry, I gotta drag this thread up.

My bike is not backfiring so I am looking for a solid reason as to why I should do this mod...also does just blocking the hose off cause any unwanted side effects such as causing any noise or cause the pump or whatever to draw excessive voltage or anything of that nature?

Before and After the Pair Valve mod. Afterwards the pipes sound better, more crisp sound now.
Main reason for me was reducing a few pounds. Better air flow for cooling with it removed.
As for it's purpose to reduce emissions. The Busa is running so lean to reduce emissions, the pair value must be redundant.

Most remove the system completely to avoid popping in the exhaust upon closing of the throttle and also to save a couple pounds. It seems to work with vacuum, it's not really a pump at all. Somewhere on here is the actual mod that uses the system to evacuate the crankcase, promoting better ring seal.

Sorry, I gotta drag this thread up.

My bike is not backfiring so I am looking for a solid reason as to why I should do this mod...also does just blocking the hose off cause any unwanted side effects such as causing any noise or cause the pump or whatever to draw excessive voltage or anything of that nature?
If your aftermarket exhaust is not backfiring... You have two options -

a) Leave the PAIRS ... and be happy!
b) Remove them, save 2 Pounds ... and be happy!

Choice is yours bro
biggrin.gif
... It all boils down to one question! Do you want to save 2 Lbs.

Back