Frustrated New Busa Owner... Grumbling.

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
New owner here, already with one relatively minor run-in with the bike (dropped in garage last week, ref other message elsewhere). Stopped at the gas station to fill her up today, bent the key in the fuel tank cap. Unbent it well enough to go out and enjoy a ride. Then, coming back home on the windy (long I, like esses, not like something that blows) road, I either hit some oil (none seen, not riding in the oil in the middle of the road) or got onto a "new" section of my new (180 miles on them) tires. Rear wheel broke just long enough for me to instinctively react. I feared another drop, this time at about 20 miles an hour. Instantly regained traction, but if things had been any different the result may have been a down on the low side or an overreaction and a high side.

Just seems like I am not having good luck with the Busa. Anyone else wouldn't have slid in the esses. Pros don't slide on the track, and they do crazy bank angles. It just seems like I'm getting zero breaks with this bike. Tires should have been broken in after 100 miles... and the dealer scuffed 'em before delivery.

Don't want to even think about taking her back to the dealer and crying to them about this while trading for a smaller bike... but the thought has been in the back of my mind.

Had wanted to take her to the church parking lot today for some necessary practice so I can learn how she handles (which probably means risking another drop). I believe it is important to put a new bike through some of the MSF Basic Course moves to get the feel of her.. but darnit it just seems like I'm not off to a good start.

:banghead:

Last edited:
relax...things like that happen...just dont over use the right hand till you are comfirtable with her

How much riding experience have you had prior to this bike? In my opinion the Busa would a harder bike to learn on, but it can be done. As far as the twisty roads go, I ride the most in the North GA Mountain area, on my Tuono it is silly easy to transition from curve to curve. On the Busa it can be a lot of work especially if you are riding a good pace with lighter bikes. I do love the Busa, I have had 3, but you have got to respect its weight and ability to put down real power to the rear wheel, even in the taller gears. That kind of power plus some grit, small stones, or sand in the curve can spell big trouble. Be patient ride safe and you will get there.

How many motorcycles have you owned in the past? Usually, over time, we replace lack of confidence with skill and awareness (by that I mean a sense of knowledge re" what to expect in various situations).
Remember, your most valued asset right now is humility. I view my relationship with my Busa as, "she's going to let me ride her now", kind of like a high strung racehorse.
You don't have to see it that way but in any case, don't start second guessing yourself because it will interfere with your skill acquisition. You deserve to own your bike but you must respect and acknowledge your learning curve and enjoy your ever increasing ability and deepening relationship with the Busa. I've owned over 70 motorcycles and can say the Hayabusa will take you places most other scooters only dream of.
Substitute your confidence issues with a conservative and respectful approach (including rider training!) and enjoy this incredible motorcycle.
Remember, I'm just going off of your post, you may be way more advanced than it suggests.....nevertheless, humility with the big girl is your wisest asset! Take care. Raydog

reason why a busa is not a good 2nd bike, when your 1st was a ninja 250

i'm sure somebody along the line

told ya so!

only way to ge better is w/ experience, either this bike or another.

you started off so well w/ MSF and a ninja250

Last edited:
How much riding experience have you had prior to this bike? In my opinion the Busa would a harder bike to learn on, but it can be done. As far as the twisty roads go, I ride the most in the North GA Mountain area, on my Tuono it is silly easy to transition from curve to curve. On the Busa it can be a lot of work especially if you are riding a good pace with lighter bikes. I do love the Busa, I have had 3, but you have got to respect its weight and ability to put down real power to the rear wheel, even in the taller gears. That kind of power plus some grit, small stones, or sand in the curve can spell big trouble. Be patient ride safe and you will get there.

I think you hit it on the head....

you started off so well w/ MSF and a ninja250

+100

Just like you don't go from ski school to the double black diamond slopes, you also don't go from a Ninja 250 to a Busa. An SV650 is probably looking really good right now....

On a positive note I give you a huge amount of credit for coming on here and admitting that you are having troubles. Many who have gone the same route as you would not admit that they aren't yet experts and maybe they really don't know everything quite yet.:thumbsup:

...Remember, your most valued asset right now is humility. I view my relationship with my Busa as, "she's going to let me ride her now", kind of like a high strung racehorse.
You don't have to see it that way but in any case, don't start second guessing yourself because it will interfere with your skill acquisition. You deserve to own your bike but you must respect and acknowledge your learning curve and enjoy your ever increasing ability and deepening relationship with the Busa. I've owned over 70 motorcycles and can say the Hayabusa will take you places most other scooters only dream of.
Substitute your confidence issues with a conservative and respectful approach (including rider training!) and enjoy this incredible motorcycle.
Remember, I'm just going off of your post, you may be way more advanced than it suggests.....nevertheless, humility with the big girl is your wisest asset! Take care. Raydog

Some of the best advice yet, Mr. Raydog :bowdown:! Lots of things to enjoy on a busa! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

you say you stopped for gas...i would say there was something at the gas station you might have gotten on your tire..oil or gas....

So you started with a Honda Civic and went right to the Bugatti Veyron.... :poke:

Take your time, be safe and LEARN the bike. Otherwise you are going to be another add in the paper selling a 2-year old bike that's been sitting in the garage with only 500miles to affraid to ride it...

Last edited:
I going to to tell you like Racer "X" told Speed. Just litsen to her and she would tell you what to do.:thumbsup:

Racersmiley.gif

Just step back, lick wounds. Find your parking lot and practice ex slow riding. Sort of like
playing an instrument. To play fast, practice slow. good luck.

Sometimes its good for a new rider to ride with a little respect/fear. It will come with time if you don't hurry things. Just because its a Busa does not mean you have to ride fast right now.

Someone dropped a bunch of paper onto a curve and I felt my front tire start to move all over the place but didnt spill it (scared me though) and on the way home 20 minutes later I bird in front of my apparently didnt have enough strength to carry all the sticks in its feet and dropped on straight through my visor into my eye granted at 25 not that bad and next day got ran off the road by car and spilled it hard into some gravel bikes ok but I hear ya with the bad spells, almost didnt want to ride the rest of the month

Thanks, guys. I'm not an inexperienced rider, but have not been riding for 30 years, either. Having ridden Arabian racehorses for a number of years, and having owned one who was world class (and moved out like it), I can identify with Raydog's comments. So, the Busa is a B*tch who must be treated nicely and whose abilities must be respected, but when you do those things she'll treat you right and be... wonderful. Got it.

Not one to spend money for the sake of spending money. There are several folks around here who have moved from their starter bike to the Busa without purchasing several other bikes first... they've been fine. I'm of the opinion that practicing skills is important on all bikes a person owns, as skills learned on one bike don't necessarily translate to another. I have taken the MSF Basic course, and will take more and will practice those skills at home on the Busa after I've mastered them on the 250.

Mike

Someone dropped a bunch of paper onto a curve and I felt my front tire start to move all over the place but didnt spill it (scared me though) and on the way home 20 minutes later I bird in front of my apparently didnt have enough strength to carry all the sticks in its feet and dropped on straight through my visor into my eye granted at 25 not that bad and next day got ran off the road by car and spilled it hard into some gravel bikes ok but I hear ya with the bad spells, almost didnt want to ride the rest of the month

Good to hear I'm not the only one, and things could be worse. Thanks.

III thinks this may be the perfect situation for the infamous MODE button? ???
(I've come across quite a few Lamb postings recently and just couldn't help myself) :rofl:

I know that the weight is still in play, but maybe trying it out in B or C might allow you some leeway while you get it figured out. I have no problem dropping it down myself if the road conditions are unsavory or riding 2 up when the situation calls for it.

Just a thought.

Back