Front Suspension

bigboy442

Registered
I've a 2004 Busa with a Laser Jammer fitted under the front fairing. It's about 13mm in depth and bangs on the front mudguard even with only 2 rings showing on the compression damping. Does anyone have any ideas to easily reduce the front fork travel?

Get heavier springs or make a longer spacer to replace the stock item.

Hey Mate,

Check out "Laser Jammer Photos". You'll see my Purple and Black busa with the jammer mounted the same as yours. I actually removed the mounting bracked and attached the jammer with velcro (Industrial strength) and it sucks the jammer up tighter to the fairing. Also move the jammer as far forward as you can and it helps. Even with mine mounted as you'll see in the photos the fender/mudguard will still touch the jammer when the forks bottom out. I find it works just fine until you do wheelies or stoppies. That seems to be the only time the forks bottom out. There is no way to shorten up the travel on the forks that I know of? You can go to heaver springs but if you hit a chuck hole hard, the forks will still have the same ammount of travel. Check out the photos and you may get some ideas. Also, I saw one Aussi Gloat that actually adapted his windscreen to mount his jammer. I think he has photos on the same thread. Check it out!

Hmmmm... Not sure it's such a great idea to limit front suspension travel just to keep the jammer from hittin' the fender man. Also not sure it's such a good idea to install anything under there that hits. If you run across road conditions that cause the front to bottom out either due to reduced travel or due to the fender hittin' the jammer you could end up in a big mess. Sort of depends on the kind of ridin' you do I guess.

I don't know a whole lot about suspension but I'd think increasin' preload a little and runnin' the compression dampening on the stiff side of correct would be a smarter thing to do than actually limiting the suspension travel. However, a suspension that is too stiff up front can cause the front tire to fail to maintain good contact with the road surface which is NEVER a good thing unless you're up on one wheel I guess.
wink.gif

I also think Tufbusa's idea of shortenin' the profile of the jammer when mounted would be a wise thing to do. Good thinkin' Tuf.
beerchug.gif
My first thought was to mount it up around the windscreen area somehow. Don't know whether shootin' through the screen would reduce it's effectiveness or not though.
rock.gif

Back