FRONT END CLICKING

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
Im trying to figure out what this very loud clicking noise is on the front of my 04. It sounds like its the right front rotor but it goes away when I apply the brakes. But im wondering what affect being low on fork oil could do to the fork and if this could be the problem. Ive lost alot of fork oil out of the right fork and im about to replace the seals and change the oil in about two weeks but this noise just started monday and i dont want to tear up anything by riding on it.

Just had this problem with some rotors my brother in law ordered. It was a slightly warped rotor and the silver rivets between the outside and inside rotor assemblys were loose. It was these rivets that were clicking.

if the rotor was warped to the point of needing replaced, you would sure know it the first time you hit the brakes..

check the pads for material thickness and then run your hand over the rotors themselves..

also check the "rattle" clips.. could be one broke or just lost its "spring".. they hold the pads in the caliper assy and keep them from banging around..

you may find a small burr that is hitting the pads causing the click.. I took a drill bit to my front rotors and just "touched" each of the cross drilled holes (you can just barely see the contact btw) to chamfer the hole a bit and take the sharp edge off each hole.. this stopped a lot of front brake noises..

Working on a 04 LE busa with the same issue right now main problem was the rivets on the rotor were shot causeing the clicking noise then found another problem some clown that replaced his tire the last time put his front axle on so tight that the bearings are shot as well. So like others have mentioned check the rotors and if they are good I would look at the bearings next.
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Just had the same problem. My fork seal was gone on the same side. My brakes were also shot. Replaced them both, never touched the rotor. Problem solved. I think the pads were moving around because they were so thin, once I used them a couple of times, they heated up and the noise stopped. Check your pads.

I replaced the pads two months ago. I ran my fingers all the way around the rotors inside and out last night and no grooves or burrs Ill have to check the pads tonight and see if their loose and check the rivet rings. The bearings shouldnt need replacing due to the bike only having 12,000 miles on it. I just dont want to ride it if its something that could fail at higher speeds. Im rebuilding the bike next weekend if all the parts come in so ill just add this to the list.  Besides its only money right??? lol

reason i said the rotor, was i got brand new galffer wave rotors,put them on mounted the tire and sure enough one was warped it would bang,click whatever you want to call it every rotation.I called Melisa up and let her hear it over the phone,had to send it back and pay for a new one until they re imbursed me for the warped one and put new one on and no more bangging...doesnt take much to warp them

Had the same sounds when I put some hh pads in, a "clacking click" sound when going over bumps, also went away as brakes applied. I know they were installed correctly and have heard others experience this with no problems. I'll bet it's just the pads if their aftermarket.

They've finally broken in, take your finger to them, any movement?, hold them with the brakes now take your finger to them - any movement now? , is it a consistent rotational clicking sound? as in rotors or just intermediately when going slower over bumps so you can hear it as in loose pads?

From what I can remember from last night it was a rotational click but I have slash cut tips and when I have throttle i cant hear much of anything. But the click does sound slower than the wheel speed. What do you mean """They've finally broken in, take your finger to them, any movement?, hold them with the brakes now take your finger to them - any movement now?"""
rock.gif
Pull the calipers and try to move the pads? then apply the brakes and see if they move??

Pull the calipers and try to move the pads? then apply the brakes and see if they move??
Don't pull anything. With the bike stationary as in not rolling down the roadway and the tire not rotating without the brakes applied, can you jiggle them with your finger at all?,now hold/apply the brake and jiggle them , any movement?

5_6_14_017.JPG

I didnt think you wanted me to try that with the calipers off the rotors but i had to ask. I dont think I can even get to them ( the pads) to see if they move. But what is it if they do move?

If I can take a picture of it,you can get your finger on it, try it. If you think it's other than loose pads making a little noise, like warped rotors - worn or loose or over tightened wheel bearing etc, time to take it to the pros and pay some bucks, good luck. You have to make the distinction between a little play and really loose, good luck.

Mine was a warped rotor...when the spot on the rotor hit the brake pads, it caused them to "clank" in movement....just replaced the rotors and pads and its perfect now...I had the same situation too...right fork was leaking fork oil and had been for a long time..but that wasn't a problem (still had plenty of fluid cause I changed the seals and dust covers at the same time as changing rotors and all....bad rotors I'm sorry to say....

Well ive got another problem. How do I stablize the bike to pull the forks off? I dont have stands or lifts or anything I'm just a shade tree mechanic without the tree. Im trying to figure out how to balance the bike so that I can pull the forks and pull the rear axle to install the exstentions and lowering links. Is there a spot on the bike that I can support the weight without having to pull the exhaust to do this?

OK I found the thread on the pole through the frame but can I trust the stock header to hold the weight of the front of the bike if I just put a block of wood under it and jack it up? and no I dont have any exposed ceiling rafters, cause I know someones thinking it. Thanks for the help.

Back