Fork Click

TXBusa05LE

Registered
Ladies,

About 2 months ago I had the fork seals replaced.

Took the Busa down the street today and heard a clicking, up and down, from the right fork.

When parked, and pulling on the right grip, I can replicate the sound with ease.

Easy fix for me or go back to the dude that changed the seals?

Gracias!

:thumbsup:

Since you have the second bike and won't miss any ride time, I say take it back to where it was done and have them fix it.

There is absolutely nothing you take apart when replacing the seals that would cause a problem internally. I've changed a pile of those things and it's a very simple fix. Remove the drain plug in the bottom of the fork, unscrew the cartridge from the top and remove it, pull the inner tube out, replace the oil and dust seal then slip the cartridge back in, replace the drain plug, drop in fresh fork oil, screw the cartridge cap back on and she is done. If you have a click in the front, I'd almost bet money it's not in the fork!

I'd suggest you remove the forks, one at a time and physically compress each fork by hand to see which one is doing the clicking. If it turns out not to be either fork (And I'm pretty sure it's not) and your mechanic tears it down to find out it's actually in the cowling plastic (I had the same problem once and it turned out to be a piece of the plastic fairing was a bit cockeyed and was snapping back and forth as I compressed the forks) he is going to charge you for his time, and rightfully so!

There is absolutely nothing you take apart when replacing the seals that would cause a problem internally. I've changed a pile of those things and it's a very simple fix. Remove the drain plug in the bottom of the fork, unscrew the cartridge from the top and remove it, pull the inner tube out, replace the oil and dust seal then slip the cartridge back in, replace the drain plug, drop in fresh fork oil, screw the cartridge cap back on and she is done. If you have a click in the front, I'd almost bet money it's not in the fork!

I'd suggest you remove the forks, one at a time and physically compress each fork by hand to see which one is doing the clicking. If it turns out not to be either fork (And I'm pretty sure it's not) and your mechanic tears it down to find out it's actually in the cowling plastic (I had the same problem once and it turned out to be a piece of the plastic fairing was a bit cockeyed and was snapping back and forth as I compressed the forks) he is going to charge you for his time, and rightfully so!

Thanks Tuf and all that PM'd.

I'll do some troubleshooting before I make the phone call...

Thanks gentlemen...you too Scar...:rofl:

Jason I am with Tuf on the fork man not to sure that it is the fork or forks. However I did some thinking after I got your PM yesterday then it hit me like a brick maybe your steering head needs to be tightend a little I had a click like what you are describing on my 02 god rest her sole and all I did was had the steering head tightend up and problem was solved. Also check the forks to see if there was any leakage from any were just in case :beerchug:

So...did you ever figure it out? My money's on brake pads or steering head. Can you feel the click in the grip?

Jason I am with Tuf on the fork man not to sure that it is the fork or forks. However I did some thinking after I got your PM yesterday then it hit me like a brick maybe your steering head needs to be tightend a little I had a click like what you are describing on my 02 god rest her sole and all I did was had the steering head tightend up and problem was solved. Also check the forks to see if there was any leakage from any were just in case :beerchug:

Will troubleshoot soon, once it warms up...:rofl:

Believe it or not, that front brake line can smack up against the inside of the fairing from time to time. Sounds more like a clunk, though, not a click.

Just throwin' it out there.

--Wag--

My front brake pad clicks when I push on the handlebars. The pad moves in the caliper a little bit. Check that too.

Back