Freshen up motor

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious as to (on an average) how much it costs to freshen up a motor. I drag race my bike and it has right at 8000 miles on it and I am sure it could use new bearings and seals. The motor is stock. What should I expect to pay?

I recently purchased everything to freshen up my GSXR1000 motor. The entire package got the best of $800. Of course if there is head work or tranny forks etc that is needed the cost will increase.

Are you talking price of parts and you do the work or price for parts and labor of someone to do the work?

I recently purchased everything to freshen up my GSXR1000 motor. The entire package got the best of $800. Of course if there is head work or tranny forks etc that is needed the cost will increase.

Parts only!

All 8000 miles were at the strip or was some of it on the street as well?
Doesn't seem like enough miles to worry about something like this? What makes you sure it could use it?
Will the benefit outweigh the cost?

dont waste your money... it doesnt need it.... ride it till it goes BOOM.... my last drag bike had 19000 miles on it............. but if you really think it needs it ship it to me and i will "freshing" it up........

dont waste your money... it doesnt need it.... ride it till it goes BOOM.... my last drag bike had 19000 miles on it............. but if you really think it needs it ship it to me and i will "freshing" it up........

You and I have an entirely different view on life. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" has always been my theory.

I have been witness to engines going "Boom" at high speeds putting the rider on their head and the outcome has never been pretty. Going "Boom" is always followed by lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs!

I am happy to freshen up a motor every two or three seasons as preventitive maintenance. Inexpensive maintenance as well compaired to "Boom". Not because it's broken or worn out but because I don't want a catastrophic failure especially at an inopertune time! :dunno:

Parts only!

Was not talking to you, I did not quote you. This is a post by GSXRFANN, so I was talking to him. He asked a question and it is him I am trying to help out.

GSXRFANN (not Tufbusa) -

Here is an idea of prices to consider for an engine that quality builders may charge. And they charge around $80 an hour for labor.

remove & replace engine - $450
undercut tranny with exchange - $200
remove & replace cylinder head internals, lap valves, install HD springs - $150
Crankshaft bearings - $110
12 hrs engine rebuild (trans, crank, pistons, etc) - $900
output shaft seal - $30

To answer most questions, yes the miles are mostly track miles. I havent even had the valve cover off of the bike and it runs very well!! The only thing that I am noticing is that when the bike gets hot, it doesnt want to start. But I figure it is about time to tighten things back up. I have a friend that can help me, but with the prices of the parts, I may have to sit next season out. I didnt think it would cost that much!! I have been doing really well in my points series for the past few years and hate to have to sit one out, but what can ya do?
I am a one man team. No sponsors or anyone to help with the bills, so it is up to me to fund the racing. As much as I hate to say it.....I gues I will do a bunch of watching next year!

Any ideas...hit me up!!!

To answer most questions, yes the miles are mostly track miles. I havent even had the valve cover off of the bike and it runs very well!! The only thing that I am noticing is that when the bike gets hot, it doesnt want to start. But I figure it is about time to tighten things back up. I have a friend that can help me, but with the prices of the parts, I may have to sit next season out. I didnt think it would cost that much!! I have been doing really well in my points series for the past few years and hate to have to sit one out, but what can ya do?
I am a one man team. No sponsors or anyone to help with the bills, so it is up to me to fund the racing. As much as I hate to say it.....I gues I will do a bunch of watching next year!

Any ideas...hit me up!!!

Why not race as much as you can and buy the parts as you go next season? You might talk to a local builder so he can give you an idea of what you will need so you can purchase it as you go.

This is what I will be doing this for this next season of racing. I plan on buying everything to replace my valves first, then pistons and rods because I plan on spraying a little shot this year. If I happen to blow the motor up I will have the parts or will be pretty close to having everything I need. if it doesn't blow up I will be able to resale some of the parts.

why not start with a simple compression and leakdown test to verify sealing of the rings, valves, HG, as well as a simple oil analysis to verify the status of the bearings, etc.

while i believe in preventative maintenance, i dont believe in simply replacing oem parts in a motor because its got 8k miles. do the tests and then you will KNOW what you need and dont rather than guessing.

threre are some very good builders in your general area that i'm sure would be more than willing to do the diagnostic work.

I guess I will do a leak down test first. What should the readings be? How do I get an oil analysis?
I like the idea of buying parts as I can afford them. That will make it a little easier!!!

leakdown should be no more than 10% in any cylinder. pay attention to where the air escapes from.

i would do the compression test first

Blackstone Labs the kit is free, i think the analysis is 10 bucks or so.

buying parts as you can afforde them is always a good plan, buying parts you dont need, not so much.

Back