03 busa motorwork (1340 or 1363)

dabigboi220

Registered
what's good people's
first let me say this I do not want to hear about turbo's or 1397 motors or spray. so please be unbiased and give this thread a decent review. now with that being said here I go. as of right now I am looking to upgrade my 03 and still keep her streetable. my 03 is not my track bike but she is the one I ride on a daily and do long rides 500 to 1000 miles on. I keep hearing about swapping my crank for a gen 2 which I think will make my bike more of a 1340. so with freshening my old motor she has over 60,000 miles on her. I am debating which one to do. my dollar cap is 3,500.00 want the best bang for the long haul. also was curious about horsepower rating I know they should be close in power but the torque range?

Keep in stock if you do that much riding
what's good people's
first let me say this I do not want to hear about turbo's or 1397 motors or spray. so please be unbiased and give this thread a decent review. now with that being said here I go. as of right now I am looking to upgrade my 03 and still keep her streetable. my 03 is not my track bike but she is the one I ride on a daily and do long rides 500 to 1000 miles on. I keep hearing about swapping my crank for a gen 2 which I think will make my bike more of a 1340. so with freshening my old motor she has over 60,000 miles on her. I am debating which one to do. my dollar cap is 3,500.00 want the best bang for the long haul. also was curious about horsepower rating I know they should be close in power but the torque range?

I tend to agree, If it aint broke dont fix it, anyway most of those suppliers will give you the dyno sheets on their stuff. PM gixerhp and goldenchild for additional input.

i would keep it stock as well if you do that much riding.....save the bore etc till you need it.

If you want to freshen it up that is fine but keep it stock if you do an excessive amount of street riding I would not do a big motor unless I am racing. Now the ticket would be getting a low mileage gen2 motor. have your head freshened up and put it on there and put it in your bike. Then you would have what is left of your old motor to sell. Plus you could sell the Head off the gen2 motor and it would fetch a pretty penny. Now the real nice thing to do would be to buy a gen2 car kit and put it in your bike and then sell all your old stuff.

Lol I think I'm going to change my name on here to Mr. sensible

I would not go into the bottom just for the crank. I would port and polish the head and throw some cams in there to help it breath a little but the cost if the crank and pulling the motor alone isn't worth it in my opinion.

I agree, for the kind of riding you are talking about, new rings and bearings. Port and polish the head with new cams. Leave the bore/stroke alone.

I have 66k miles on mine, I rebuilt the engine at 63k and went with a 1441cc. I have said many times I wish I would have went back factory and just boosted it for more power. Don't get me wrong I love the power of the bike and its great now that I have most of the kinks worked out, but it is not as streetable as everyone says one thing always leads to another. My advise is go back factory, if you are wanting to get a little more out of it just get some head work done. A good head can get you around 180-200 range....always figure about a grand higher than original cost of anything you buy, because you will run into other things you need to get the full benefit of what your buying. My 1441 kit started around 3k so far I have around 5.5k and still need a shock and tire to make it stick, and going for more head work this winter.........I never ends........

I know you don't want to hear boosting or nitro......I was just stating what I wish I did. For what you say you are wanting, I recommend stay factory and get head work done.

Head work and cams like everybody else said. you could also toss in some new factory bore pistons. with some valve reliefs cut it if you want a big cam. Would also be a good time to have the tranny undercut and cleaned up if that hasnt been done. Also new shift fork shafts while your at it. If you are dead set on a new crank, get a lightened/balanced gen2 crank from APE and toss out the crank balance.

IMO the most option that is most sensible in your case, is to sell your bike. Then add the $3500 and buy a decent 08 up.

I'm with the Professor on this one . Why put that kind of money into an engine and not really do anything. You shouldn't need to freshin up the motor unless you got something wrong with it or want to do something else (drag, track...). Why do you want to rebuild? Obviously its not for power.

IMO the most option that is most sensible in your case, is to sell your bike. Then add the $3500 and buy a decent 08 up.

And to add... My 03 is a 1340, balanced assembly, 13:1 pistons, small Webb cams, mild head work, Springs, R&D transmission, Billet shafts etc. Lot's of Gen I bikes on here with 100K+ miles. Maybe you need to buy mine and let me upgrade to a Gen II!

That's a good idea to providing he can sell his. I know I'd have a hard time buying a 60k mile bike unless it was super cheap.

well gents I am not and will not sell my 03. I do like a little power bump, just don't need the headache of a bunch of excess. now I would agree with some on doing the headwork and the cam swap but I don't know how big to go on the cams. ok for that matter I have a 02 blackbird for my race bike and I have dumped a ton of bread into her. the more I think about it the crank swap is not in the cards.

That's a good idea to providing he can sell his. I know I'd have a hard time buying a 60k mile bike unless it was super cheap.

If is in decent shape, it should not be hard to get $4000 out of it. I have seen several nice 08s go for $7500.

well gents I am not and will not sell my 03. I do like a little power bump, just don't need the headache of a bunch of excess. now I would agree with some on doing the headwork and the cam swap but I don't know how big to go on the cams. ok for that matter I have a 02 blackbird for my race bike and I have dumped a ton of bread into her. the more I think about it the crank swap is not in the cards.

Crank is pretty easy and will provide a compression increase with the stock pistons. It is not hard to find a complete set of rods and pistons from a GEN II from someone going with a turbo. A spacer works fine with the Gen I rods and pistons. I would not do cams and porting without raising the compression. My bike with the small webb cams went 148mph and I weighed 235-240. But the cams were a bit small as I didn't want to loose too much low end.

low mileage gen2 car kit!!! ahaha! :thumbsup:

You have a race bike and now you want a little power bump?

It's your money and you can do whatever you want.
But could you inform us WHY you want to do anything?

Is your bike not running well?
Are you just bored with it?
Do you think it won't go to 100k or beyond?
Is the money in your pocket burning a hole in it and you NEED to spend it?

Many have said leave it stock. My bike runs great and I guess I just don't see any reason to change a great running bike.
New tires, YES. Engine work NO.

Because you don't want to sell your bike, I assume you like it and it's setup just the way you like it.
If you make changes to it, there is the possibility that it may NOT run like it did without a lot of tweaking. Is that what you want?

Don't get me wrong - I'm just trying to understand why you feel the need to change it. :dunno:???
Hope everything works out like you want it to.......

to answer your question red. there is nothing wrong with my bike. I already have a race bike which is my 03 honda blackbird. you asked about a little bump in horsepowerit's more like 180-200. yes I know she is a race bike but mine is not for the track. the spirited roll-on race is fun for me the craving of the corners on a big bike shuts people up. for me it's the bang for your buck simple horsepower jump. I already have a power commander, tre, air box mod, lowered and geared 17 front 43 rear. now I am willing to go into the motor but not to much. a simple 1340 or 1363 set-up will give me what I need and not over heat and I can continue to ride long distance on it. I hope this answers some of your questions.

IMO - its not the displacement that makes bikes "unstreetable" - its the compression. keep your CR down to something closer to normal and you can get away with a 1397/1441. if your going to spend the money for a new set of jugs and pistons, id really recommend the 1397 route and just keep your CR low.

Back