Found a hole in my tire

Youkai

Registered
Well today when I went for a ride, I notice a pebble in one of the grooves in my rear tire.  I flicked it out and in its place was a hole in the rubber about the size of the point of a pen (2mm diameter hole).  I immediately started cursing (got a puncture on my previous rear at 1600mi) and thought I got some deja vu.  But to my surprise it was holding air, I took a measurement before my ride and after and the pressure stayed constant.  The tire has about 1mm of tread before the wear indicators.  I know I can get a couple more hundred miles out of it but I am gonna keep an eye on my pressure on rides to make sure it doesn't have a leak. Has anyone gotten this before?

<!--EDIT|Youkai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147232379 -->

The question is:

Can an accident at high speeds be worth the cost of a new tire?

hogger...

Don't take chances with the tires! A high speed blowout would not be any fun!

If you do decide to ride until the tire's worn out.

Keep the speeds down
Check it frequently

But if you have the cash, a new tire is much safer.
wink.gif

Worked in the auto tire industry while I was in college. I wouldn't chance it. Gotta remember that you are running 40 psi? That's 40 pounds of pressure pushing out on every square inch of your tire. One weak spot and BOOM. You might be ok or you might not. I wouldn't ride on a "might" especially with two wheels. Just my .02

to me its a critical items, no matter what anyone says...
blues.gif
1~200 mi, is a good day worth of ride...so, change a day early...if thats how much left, you've got most out of it...right?
and usually, I end up, place don't have much choice of a brand or a size, but only one in stock...do you like that? I don't...
sad.gif

I noticed a cut about 3/4" long just right of center in my oem BT 56; I could see down to the cord. It never got any bigger and the tire held air as new. Don't know how it happened.

I had a new Pilot Power on hand so I went ahead and made the switch.

I never did any high speed runs so I wasn't too concerned, but ya never know
rock.gif

Probably best to get a new one.

Replace it.. Why chance it.. Your almost ready for new anyway.

Replace it immediately. It's not worth the risk. Do you ride with gear? Think of the hole as riding your bike butt naked around a sandy 90 degree right-handed corner with oncoming drunk cell-phone talking traffic holding your left hand over your right eye. You might make it just fine. Then again, you might not.

Ride safe so you can live to ride another day.

Put the rock back in.
face7.gif

Just kidding, +1 to everyone else. Dont chance it. A friend of mine had a small nail in his tire. He pulled it out and watched it for a few weeks.

He decided that it didnt go all the way through so we rolled to Northern Va. When we stopped for gas he was turning the corner and almost lost it.

The tire was down to 10lbs and had we kept going it may have gotten nasty.

Put the rock back in.  
face7.gif
Seems like a perfect fix to me
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, it sucks to have to replace tires. i just had 3nails picked up in less than 1000 miles on my bike. But there are too many dangers out there that we face daily already, why add to it. Bite the bullet and put new rubber on. You'll feel much better about it when you are riding.

I know I know, safety safety safety, but, what about all the tires that have been plugged or patched that never lost air or came apart? I plugged the rear BT on my new LE and it hasn't lost a pound of air. I will change it before my tour in June for the amount of miles I'll be putting on it but I'm not changing it until then.

Well today when I went for a ride, I notice a pebble in one of the grooves in my rear tire.  I flicked it out and in its place was a hole in the rubber about the size of the point of a pen (2mm diameter hole).  I immediately started cursing (got a puncture on my previous rear at 1600mi) and thought I got some deja vu.  But to my surprise it was holding air, I took a measurement before my ride and after and the pressure stayed constant.  The tire has about 1mm of tread before the wear indicators.  I know I can get a couple more hundred miles out of it but I am gonna keep an eye on my pressure on rides to make sure it doesn't have a leak.  Has anyone gotten this before?
For a couple more 100 miles is it really worth it??

Back