Tire went flat over night?

A couple nights ago i was out riding and got back home around 10:00PM.....My tire seemed fine.....I woke up the next morning and my rear tire was completely flat....I thought some one might have punctured it since i don't get along with my hillbilly neighbors next door...
I filled my rear tire up with my air-compressor after it had gone completely flat over night with 42 lbs pressure a couple days ago and it is still at 42 lbs pressure two days later.....

What would cause this? Does any one have any ideas?

Its a damn mystery to me... It makes me wonder if someone let the air out intentionally.... But if someone does not like me, like my neighbors why didn't they puncture my tire instead...... Sorry everyone for jumping to conclusions but it's a mystery.

We have a winner, and besides it was only flat on one side. Holes usually don't fix themselves :dunno:

valve stem could be loose... you can unscrew the inside and have a slow leek, we used to do that at work when it was someones birthday

Same thing happened to me years ago. Came to the bike - the tire was almost flat. I inspected the tire and found nothing. I then put saliva on the valve stem and sure enough the bubble started growing. I carefully unscrewed and removed the valve core and inspected. It had a spec of something attached to the rubber part. I carefully removed it, wiped the rubber part of the valve core carefully, and screwed it back in. Inflated the tire, and never had a problem after that.

Of course, someone could just let the air out. The reason why not cut the tire is purely psychological. Someone wants to make trouble for you, however that someone still has some respect for personal property and feels it would be going too far to produce an actual damage.

Same thing happened to me years ago. Came to the bike - the tire was almost flat. I inspected the tire and found nothing. I then put saliva on the valve stem and sure enough the bubble started growing. I carefully unscrewed and removed the valve core and inspected. It had a spec of something attached to the rubber part. I carefully removed it, wiped the rubber part of the valve core carefully, and screwed it back in. Inflated the tire, and never had a problem after that.

Of course, someone could just let the air out. The reason why not cut the tire is purely psychological. Someone wants to make trouble for you, however that someone still has some respect for personal property and feels it would be going too far to produce an actual damage.
yea... Maybe i got something in the valve stem that deflated tire then when i inflated it again i fixed the stem without knowing..

This just happened to my OEM which only had 2k miles on it :-( I put the bike on a rear stand and ended up finding a small nail in the tire. So, I would recommend looking over the tire correctly and if you do not find anything, it could be that the tire is not sealing correctly on the rim. I would not risk riding until you figure out exactly what is going on.

Good luck!

This just happened to my OEM which only had 2k miles on it :-( I put the bike on a rear stand and ended up finding a small nail in the tire. So, I would recommend looking over the tire correctly and if you do not find anything, it could be that the tire is not sealing correctly on the rim. I would not risk riding until you figure out exactly what is going on.

Good luck!
The funny thing is i bought a new rear tire a couple weeks ago because the one i have on there now is getting bald, i just have not had a chance to put it on yet.....
It still does not explain how it went flat one night and now is holding air just fine...

Lot of possibilities here.

If someone let the air out they may not have wanted to damage the tire as that could bring criminal charges against them if they got caught.
I don't think letting the air out of someones tire is a crime, but I could be wrong. Even if it was it shouldn't be as bad as property damage, by cutting the tire.

As far as something getting in the valve stem - I wouldn't think that would be very likely for a couple of reasons.
When was the last time you checked the air pressure, before this mishap? Do you have no valve stem covers?
I just changed tires less than two weeks ago and installed some 90 degrees valve stems - makes it so much easier that I will check more often. :whistle:

So you park your bike outside? ANYONE could have come along and let the air out, right?

Lot of possibilities here.

If someone let the air out they may not have wanted to damage the tire as that could bring criminal charges against them if they got caught.
I don't think letting the air out of someones tire is a crime, but I could be wrong. Even if it was it shouldn't be as bad as property damage, by cutting the tire.

As far as something getting in the valve stem - I wouldn't think that would be very likely for a couple of reasons.
When was the last time you checked the air pressure, before this mishap? Do you have no valve stem covers?
I just changed tires less than two weeks ago and installed some 90 degrees valve stems - makes it so much easier that I will check more often. :whistle:

So you park your bike outside? ANYONE could have come along and let the air out, right?
Yea, i have no garage.... I do have valve stem covers.....I have an appointment Sat. for rear tire change....
I havr gotten more milage out of these avon tires than any other..

Again.... Why didn't thy puncture the tire instead of just letting all the air out... It would have took less time....
It makes no sense to me..
One is a criminal act the other isn't and maybe it was a friend pranking you :dunno:

Back