Got a flat last night.

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
On my way home i got a nail in my rear tire. i waited for over a hour for my friend with a plug kit and a air compressor. I think i saw mini air compressors on this board that I can keep in my trunk but I dont know who makes them. I think i will always keep a plug kit in the bike since this in my 3rd #$%$# time i had a nail in my tire. So If any knows who makes the mini air compressor let me know.

walmart sell a little CO2 kit that comes in a nice self contained pouch for emergency refills, it comes with 2 or 3 refill cylinders, the co2 cylinders are the same size that are used for pellet guns. the kit is like 10 dollars.

<!--EDIT|Mr. Anderson
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153926186 -->

Tire plug kits with CO2 also available from Cycle gear......works good for quick repair to get you to the next new tire. Would warn against hi-speed runs with a plug
smile.gif
rock.gif

I carry a back pack with fix-a-flat (biggest can they got) in it on any trips with distance.

I've used what they call an umbrella patch for the nails . Much more "permanent" than just a plug . Supposedly just as safe as getting a new tire .

Gotta have a patch kit. Fix-a-flat spewed outta the hole in my tire like Old Faithful!!!

I've used what they call an umbrella patch for the nails . Much more "permanent" than just a plug . Supposedly just as safe as getting a new tire .
He's right . It is a lot safer than just a plug . I have used them and they lasted the entire life of the tire. Sometime you just don't have $200.00 bucks to spend everytime you pick up a nail or a screw.

Forget about CO2. All you need is a regular tire repair kit and a CyclePump.

And, guess where I keep it - clicky-clicky.

Speaking of riding on plugged tires. You will feel much safer if you have... SmarTire system.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: "Is it ever possible to do it right the first time?"|1153936845 -->

Just realize you will need a new tire. I know some will say they've had a flat, plugged it and been using the tire for a long time now.

Plugs are meant to be a temporary fix and reduces the integrity of the tire. Not worth risking on only two wheels. Buy the same make of the other good tire remaining.

Okay.....where does one get an "Umbrella" patch? I've been taking some rides that take me far from home....and I don't want to be stranded. I have a Progressive Suspension plug kit..but a good backup sounds like these umbrella plugs...I've gotten 2 nails in tires in one year....I'm spending way too much on tires and I don't even ride that hard....

I put "Ride On" in my tires. It works better than fix-a-flat and helps keep the tire cooler too. Go to ride-on.com to check it out.

Okay.....where does one get an "Umbrella" patch?  I've been taking some rides that take me far from home....and I don't want to be stranded.  I have a Progressive Suspension plug kit..but a good backup sounds like these umbrella plugs...I've gotten 2 nails in tires in one year....I'm spending way too much on tires and I don't even ride that hard....
Umbrella patches seal the hole from the inside .....have to remove tire from rim . Not a good option for "on the go" ! But a good option instead of buying another tire .

Okay.....where does one get an "Umbrella" patch?  I've been taking some rides that take me far from home....and I don't want to be stranded.  I have a Progressive Suspension plug kit..but a good backup sounds like these umbrella plugs...I've gotten 2 nails in tires in one year....I'm spending way too much on tires and I don't even ride that hard....
Umbrella patches seal the hole from the inside .....have to remove tire from rim . Not a good option for "on the go" ! But a good option instead of buying another tire .
Okay, well depending on the extent of the puncture and it's location you can get buy with a professional patch job from the inside.

We had to practice doing these ourselves when I worked for Michilen NA so we could properly tell our distrubutors how to perform them to spec. We used some specialty rubber and tools. Likely not something you have laying around your garage.

Okay, well depending on the extent of the puncture and it's location you can get buy with a professional patch job from the inside.

We had to practice doing these ourselves when I worked for Michilen NA so we could properly tell our distrubutors how to perform them to spec.  We used some specialty rubber and tools.  Likely not something you have laying around your garage.
Yes .....If U go to a reputable motorcycle shop and ask for a plug ......they'll send you out the door , due to liability . But they will do an umbrella patch . I've been using them since the late 80's and never had a problem .

If you use fix-a-flat in that tire , they're gonna charge you extra for the clean up !  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Warputer
Reason for Edit: "&quot;cause I spell like 1st grader !"|1153947361 -->

Man is maming yourself, or worse worth the $200 it costs for a new tire??? I just don't get it. Part of owning a beast like a busa is going thru ALOT of rubber.

Back