small hole leaking on new tire

Racing4funn

Registered
Its not a NEW NEW tire but is only a few months old and only has about 500 miles on it. After one day of a short ride the tire was flat the next morning. Aired it up showed a very small hole nearly right in the middle.

Two local shops would not patch it and I understand why and I thought safety before I went asking. This being a hole and not a cut I thought a patch would be ok.

What are my options? I dont want to spend another $250

It should be able to be patched, but the tire is compromised I believe they recommend not exceeding speeds of 80 mph, which seems easy enough if you weren't talking about a Busa:whistle: :laugh:

I usually just plug it instead of patching

I usually just plug it instead of patching

+1, a plug is better than a patch. Although I'd replace it myself. I've plugged in emergencies, but I just don't trust a plugged tire on a motorcycle. You can't afford to lose one when you only have two.

$250 for a front tire?? WOW

I hope you got a bike wash too!

Well I need a good flaming it's been 24 hours :laugh: I throw a can of fix-a-flat in mine and avoid top end runs.

i wouldnt dream of plugging patching a front tire ever. Just bite the bullet and get another.....2 dangerous in the front.

Its not a NEW NEW tire but is only a few months old and only has about 500 miles on it. After one day of a short ride the tire was flat the next morning. Aired it up showed a very small hole nearly right in the middle.

Two local shops would not patch it and I understand why and I thought safety before I went asking. This being a hole and not a cut I thought a patch would be ok.

What are my options? I dont want to spend another $250

I had a plug in mine with absolutely no problems

Where do yall get front tire? Making stuff up? Its a rear tire. I will probably replace it. I see over 140 nearly every time I ride it.. I was hoping that there was some new tech on fixing it that I didnt know about.. oh well

I'd use a mushroom plug and ride the hell out of it since it's the back (no plugs/patches in the front except to get me home). It's not as confidence-inspiring as an undamaged tire and I might be inclined to take it a little easier, but that tire is too new to just chuck outright IMO. It's not a popular opinion, but it's mine.

I plugged the rear on my Katana 750 in a parking lot well over 5000 miles ago, with absolutely zero issues and no air leakage at all. Used the glue and all, but of course that's a Kat, and it's the rear wheel :) Not sure how I'd feel about the Busa...

I used to do a ton of long distance riding. Lots of nails over the years and lots of plugs. I am confortable with a plugged tire. The worst i have had happen with me is the tire starts leaking air again. That being said its your butt and not mine and I'm not offering any promise of you being safe. If it is renting space in your head your not going to enjoy riding. I have had the best luck with an automotive type string plug <gummy worm>. I don't think i would use fix a flat as I don't need the mess and out of balance i believe it would cause. I recently did get a nail that i plugged but i didn't like the seal it made with an unusual hole. I replaced that tire

Anyways best of luck

250 for a tire? What brand and Size?
Tires are one thing I dont take short cuts on.....hmmm lets see new tire 250.00 vs. Risk of
a blowout at 175+ mph.... I think I would replace the tire and hang the holy one over the fire
place for a conversation piece.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had that happen to a brand new Avon I put on my 900rr. Someone planted a board with 2 nails under rear tire. I had a local shop put a plug patch on. Then I photographed the biggest baddest burnout I've ever seen. I'm talking 4th gear on the rev limiter. Hell it even painted a black stripe up my garage door to the roof. Tire melted surprisingly fast. It was fun and helped ease the anger and pain of buying yet another tire in 2 weeks. I prolly should have just rode it, but I frequented 160 all to often.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had that happen to a brand new Avon I put on my 900rr. Someone planted a board with 2 nails under rear tire. I had a local shop put a plug patch on. Then I photographed the biggest baddest burnout I've ever seen. I'm talking 4th gear on the rev limiter. Hell it even painted a black stripe up my garage door to the roof. Tire melted surprisingly fast. It was fun and helped ease the anger and pain of buying yet another tire in 2 weeks. I prolly should have just rode it, but I frequented 160 all to often.
Posted via Mobile Device

That has crossed my mind as well. Just too lazy to pull the tire twice.

Yall are all upset over my $250 figure. Easy easy.. Price is tire, shipping, and mount and balance.. Just a rough number.. maybe Im $12 over. It will be ok

Back