Quick question

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Is it okay to patch a motorcycle tire?

I caught a flat the other night and wanted to know if I can take that route. It'll only be there for about a month or so before I get a new tire.

Personally....I'd never trust a patched m/c tire. I'm sure there are some that would, and have...just not me.

I suppose if you keep the speed down, and ride her like your'e on cords, knowing the replacement is right around the corner. It'd be okay.

Just my .02
smile.gif

Is it okay to patch  a motorcycle tire?

I caught a flat the other night and wanted to know if I can take that route. It'll only be there for about a month or so before I get a new tire.
I had to patch mine while out on the road. Rode it home and took the wheel/tire off the next day and got a new one.

A shop won't patch it.

When you only have two tires, you have to consider what happens when one goes bad.

I'd replace it ASAP.

A few tire manufacturers say you can use a patch/plug combo, however the tire loses its speed rating and should never exceed 80 mph.

I would trust one but only for normal riding. A properly installed plug/combo will never leak or fall out but if a cord was cut the tire could self destruct at high speeds.

i have plugged m/c tires and had no problems, even at high speeds. but ride at your own risk
biggrin.gif

A few tire manufacturers say you can use a patch/plug combo, however the tire loses its speed rating and should never exceed 80 mph.

I would trust one but only for normal riding.  A properly installed plug/combo will never leak or fall out but if a cord was cut the tire could self destruct at high speeds.
+1

I have patched/plugged two tires. One was my front tire when I was at the Vortex in Little Five Points. Was a tuesday night or so everything was closed. Put a plug in it, air, drove 2 hours south home. Changed the tire immediately. Plugged the rear tire for wizeguy when his caught a nail. He rode it for a little while.

However in both of our instances, the screw and nails that caused the holes were in the valley's of the tread not on top. I personally wouldn't ride very long on a patched tire...you only have 2 tires...falling hurts I don't care what your wearing!

I,m guilty! Patch pluged my rear tire with the type of plug that goes in from the inside, and after the first 50 miles or so, I couldn,t even see were it came through the tire. It vulcanizes to the tire, and have riden about 1800 miles with no problems so far.
The Patch part is about the size of a business card, so there is no wat it could pull through. I had 126 miles on the new 208 when I got a nail in it, so I thougt I,d give it a try, and it has worked out well.
I also check the pressure EVERY time I get her out, and it has never lost a pound.

I patched mine once on the road, but it was just to get me home so I could change it out. I don't trust them, I feel safer replacing the tire.

I agree whole heatedly with what most everyone above has said. Patches are only good as a stop-gap measure until you can replace. Taking your life in your hands if you want to run flat out with a tire that may or may not have cord damage is a gamble. I have patched em before but I am not a big fan of plugs.

A patch from the inside should be okay. But I wouldn't be tearin' up the roads at speed with a patched tire.

A plug is just to get you home.

--Wag--

I've used plugged and patched tires, til the end of the tire life.

But, you should go buy a new tire right now, just like everyone suggested.
biggrin.gif

Plug is a reliable fix.

<!--EDIT|Lota Fun R
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132517125 -->

I have ridden several pretty brisk street pace sessions on a plugged/patched rear. As long as it is patched from the inside you should be ok. I wouldn't try to set a land speed record on it though.

I would much rather have a new tire but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

JMO

The only problem with a patch/plug is that if it decides to let go, you are prolly gonna be screwed. You might not have any problems, but if you do, they'll be bad......

I had 326 miles on my stock rear when I got a rear flat. To me it's a no-brainer. It was an excuse to put on a set of new pilot powers. A plug or patch in a cage tire is ok. NEVER a good idea for a high performance motorcycle tire. I live in Vegas but this is one gamble I won't make.

If you want to look at it in a cost perspective, what is the cost of one tire installed vs. the cost of your medical insurance deductible plus the bike insurance deductible?

Anyone ever had a tire go down while riding?

I have, never lost control or crashed. Each time it lost air was on a tire with no defects prior to the air loss. Three times this has happened on the Busa, every time on a near new tire, never one that was half worn out. After leaving El Mirage my rear was flat and I didn't know it, got up to about 130 before I realized there was something wrong, brand new tire too. Always on a brand new tire, never on one that's almost worn out.

There are two types of plugs I trust, the patch from the inside type and the rope type with the orange sticky stuff on em, just make sure on the rope ones that enough of the plug goes inside the tire, it will not come out. I just push it in far enough that I know about 3/4" is sticking thru the inside.

I was leary of using plugs but found out they work well and are a reliable fix. My tires only last maybe a thousand miles and I need new ones anyways.

I don't follow the heard and make up my own mind what works and what doesn't.

DO NOT use that fix a flat crap, it won't seal and will make the tire unrepairable, carry rope type plugs and a CO2 cartridge.

Any of you local to So.Cal that dont want your near new tires that have a nail in it, let me know, I'll come take em off your hands.

I had to plug mine Pilot Power rear after only having them on for about 1 week due to some lousy nail. that was well over 5000 miles ago. I recently did a 160-165 mph run for about 3 to 4 miles because I had to (not because I was running from the cops!), no problem (knock on wood). I guess it depends on the quality of the plug, the person doing the plugging, and how close to the center to the tire the hole is. Closer to the center is best since that tends to "flat and reinforces the plug". But do it at your own risk. I won't recommend plugging any hole 1/2 of a inch or more off of center of tire... Think about it this way: cost of new tire on high side $190 + labor $50 = $240 compared to the cost of getting into a wreck.....cost of your beautiful busa + your health or your limb or life?
rock.gif
A lot more than the $240 or $250. Want to see you rolling and continuously posting on this board...

Back