Going for ride-gorgeous weather flat tire QUICK QUESTION

groran1000

Registered
found it in the shop phew good thing. This is a near new Michelin pilot on back maybe 300 miles. Found tiny hole, maybe 1/64 inch. Had small rock in it, but I'm sure a nail or something is in there. The rock was maybe a 1/64 inch long and wide. Anyway I've heard not to plug these tires or repair them. Man, there is no way us riders toss a tire that new for a small hole. I used to plug my 60-70's tire, but these are softer, what yall think, should I plug it, or is it common to get them patched? To put a plug in a hole that small, I would have to drill it out larger to get a plug in it.

I patch tires from time to time for street use. The only way I will patch a hole (Unless I'm flat some place and need to get home) is with a mushroom plug from the inside. Never had one fail but I also don't exceed double digits either.

I don't plug tires, but many do. I do exceed double digits on occasion on the road but I just don't want something else to think about.

A patched tire is never guaranteed to hold the distance as a new tire. While you are on 2 never go the cheapest route. If you were on four, at least you have the other three to hold you up and bumpers around. If you are an expert at riding a unicycle, ride on a patched tire.

In the middle of nowhere, I will plug a tire just to get me out of a bind. Otherwise, I personally value peace of mind MORE than saving a few $$ to run a plugged tire. My 2 cents, MHO :)

P.S. Although I rarely go REALLY fast, I want my mind to be on the ride...not a little patch/plug.

I'll go with fix a flat in a can. the hole is sooo small, like needle small. I don't want to drill the tire to put a plug, so I'll use a can sealant, thanks to all the responded. Some guys said they don't go fast often, I don't either. The guys I ride with do, real fast. Guess I need to find someone to ride with. Not too many choices in southern Mississippi for sport bike riders in my area, Picayune.

I got a puncture yesterday. Second plug in the PR3 rear tyre and cracked on at silly speeds. Ps, one of the plugs is a worm type. I wouldn't trust them on a track day but regular riding is fine. Dunno why I think that, I just do :p

i've fixed several tires with a patch plug but have only toured on them/never exceeded 150 after that...i would never trust just a plug, just a patch, and definitely not fix a flat...just my honest opinion which is worth about as much as the ink on this computer screen :laugh:

IMG_0353.jpg

I have plugged a couple tires to get me home so I could replace them. Both of them were under 1/2 tread. If I had a newer tire that got punctured, I think I would try a plug/patch, limit my top speed and keep an eye on it.

From a tire professional position, working for Bridgestone has taught me a few things, number 1: If you have a hole patch it. Fix-a-flat will only make a bad situation worse. What it will do is number 1, leak from the puncture, 2: could enter the inner liner of the tire and cause it to deteriorate and separate leading to a failure, even at low speeds. Number 2: a speed rated tire that has been repaired no longer carries its speed rating, effectively becoming a spare or just a low speed tire, but this is safer than having a tire filled with a ammonia based sealant that produces astronomically high tire pressures and a leak. Also all that sealant sitting in the tire will throw it off balance and cause the rear end to shake uncontrollably. Do you really want to have to deal with that while riding? Or do you have enough to think about?

Please please please do yourself a favor, fix it right or replace it!!

your life is worth more than a can of fix-a-flat or a new tire!!

But in the end it's your call.

-D

I think the best plan is to patch it from the inside and make plans to replace it. Keep in mind it is now a patched tire and ride accordingly....that has worked for plenty of folks.

I have to agree with Dscahill... Do not use fix a flat. As Poppy said...You can patch a tire from the inside, but make plans to replace it.
I have patched my tires without any problems. Actually I have my rear one patched right now. I patched a few weeks ago. I just ordered my new tires tonight (only because it was the last day of the sale from where I get my tires).

We have had this topic a few times on here.
I wouldn't patch the tyre myself as I wouldn't feel safe.

Also I used to retread truck tyres, well any tyres really for a living and there is a way to patch tyres correctly, you don't just slap some glue on and put the patch on, it's a lot more involved than that.
I've done a write up of it in another thread about patching tyres.

So if you have it patched do you know if it is done the right way or not.
I've seen patches hanging off because the have not been done right.

That last post of mine makes me sound like I'm an ass; four-legged, pointy ears, hairy with tailed ass.

HEE HAW

ugh

-D

I have a tire on the shelf that I think I'll patch in case I need it later also, it's a q2 with 13 miles on it. Rode to work once. Got home and found a nail.... I have plugged my rear tire before, and didn't have any mishaps. But I'll do a real plug this time and not worry about it for commuting. Also to me personally it depends where it is. Anything more than an inch or so to either side of the center line I wouldn't do. In my imagination I feel like turning stresses the tire to much for a shoulder plug. It would just worry me too much to have fun.

Back