Flat tire, big hole!!

Is the credibility of a high performance tire on a high performance machine not shot to hell after a hole/repair.  Is it really safe to trust that tire w/ your life anymore?

Cars are different for obvious reasons...I just wouldn't feel safe riding around on a repaired tire.
First let me start by saying “ plugging tires is badâ€￾ and “ buy a new tire if you get a flatâ€￾. Ok now that I have the disclaimer out of the way, I have plugged 2 of the last 5 flats I have gotten only because it was getting to expensive to replace a $150 tire every month. I have seen the errors of my ways since and have started to buy my tires at cycle gear, they sell road hazard on ALL tires that they sell.
1st, Make sure its the plug put in from the inside out.  Meaning they have to take the tire off the wheel.

2nd, your tire is no longer z rated with a plug.  So keep the speeds down on a plugged tire.  I keep below 120mph indicated with a plugged tire.

A new tire is always best, but it can get expensive.
Right you are on all counts
wink.gif

No offence, but my life and limb is worth more than a $150 tire. I pitch 'em if I get a nail or whatever. I've gone thru several pilot powers in 1 month before.

It is very important to develope the feel of your bike, so that you notice even small changes in the handling or performance. Good read on the tire, glad you were able to pull over with no issues!

Picked up two flats in the same day .. Both plugged and fine..Just got to remember to keep the speed down..

I had a front go at xmas, on the highway at better than 160kph. It made a little fart and there was no doubt what it was. I handled very well and the controlled stop went much better than my original thoughts prepared me for. The tyre was stuffed. 6 inch rip where the tread meets the sidewall. The damper shook like all get out when I hit about 50. That experience gave me much faith. The busa handles very well when big things turn bad.

<!--EDIT|KennyMac
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140842957 -->

Been there, done that. Sucked. On the first morning of a 3 day ride, not good way to start out. Was expensive.
sad.gif

IMG_8524-tire.jpg

Back