Flat Tire

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
On my way to work the other day. Lotsa cops around so I was takin' it easy, keepin' it between 85 and 90. Weather here has been beyootiful lately so there was plenty to keep my mind occupied. (The worst hour of riding is better than the best hour of work, eh?!
biggrin.gif
)

Anyhoo, the front started to feel a little less "free" and over about mile of highway, it was apparent that SOMEthing was effed up with the bike.

By the time I actually pulled off to the side of the freeway, the bike was nearly non-responsive. It was apparent that it was the front tire. As I got off and looked at the tire, the last of the air finally escaped.

A guy on a BMW 1200S (or something like that) stopped and offered the use of his patch kit. Nice guy, too. For about 10,000 minutes, we searched that tire, rolling the bike back and forth.

No little hole. No big hole.

It was the valve stem. Somehow, that valve stem had developed a little crack in it and chose that moment on the freeway to finally let go.

I'm damn lucky it went out very slowly. Beemer guy said, "Sorry, I don't have anything that'll help that!"

"Not a problem," I said. "Thanks for stopping and offering to help."

(I should note that SEVERAL beemer guys rode past and offered to stop but NOT ONE other biker made an offer to stop the whole two and a half hours I was there by the road! Nice guys, those beemer dudes.)

After hangin' by the side of the road for two and a half hours, as I mentioned, my wife showed up with her truck, MrGxr, and the trailer of a friend.

Thanks, Honey sugar schnookums!!! Thanks, MrGxr!!!

--Wag--

P.S. Whenever you get your tires changed at a shop, MAKE SURE you tell them to change out the valve stem as well. I discovered that they may not necessarily automatically include it as part of the service. Fer cryin' out loud, it's only another $3.00!!

biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear about your dilema. I have to say, the Beemer guys are some of the nicest I have run into. Went up to the Rock store one Sunday and while talking to two Beemer guys, I complained about my ears ringing. Of course I was riding without ear plugs, so one of the guys gave me a set right there!
PS
Thank God for wifey's & pick up trucks!

Safe lessons are ALWAYS the best one's you NEVER forget to do again  
super.gif

As they say, "Live and Learn" ! Glad your OK  
beerchug.gif

glad to hear your ok. that could have been way worse. BMW guy to the rescue....

i'm glad everything turned out ok and you are able to post up about it
beerchug.gif

Glad you kept it on 2 wheels!!!
beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing Lou, I think I definately need to replace my valve stems next tire change, especially for $3
bowdown.gif

I think there are metal valve stems you can get which won't break like the rubber ones. They just snap off.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!!!!!!

Of course I will not be using those.

I just got damn lucky. Still reflecting on it.

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

I bought the Ariete 90 degree valve stems on the Group Buy- anyone know if they last forever, or have a replacement interval as well?
rock.gif

Good to hear you were safe.  Brings up good questions, which Shibumi partly answered:  

1.  What is a good tire kit and pump to carry?

2.  Who makes a good, angled metal valve?

Glad to hear you're OK. I had a similiar incident on the way to Las Vegas this year. I was on the side of the road for 5 1/2 hours. I was up on highway 93 about 7 miles from I 40. No one stopped but fortunately, my wife was able to get a tow truck to come and get me.

Thanx for the heads up Louis. I had metal stems before and I'm goin back to em. Also I carry a plug kit and a couple Co2 cartridges.

Buy some metal bolt-on valve stems. It's solves the problem.

Back