next mod: 90 degree metal tire filler upper thingys

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
was putting the boots to a nice long sweeper when i noticed she didnt want to straighten up easly...got it upright and it pulled bad...wiggled a little to make sure wich tire it was. rear. ok front brake only and coast to a stop. what the hell its a brand new tire of only 3 weeks.. pulled in a guys driveway and he brought me out a compressor hose and i go to fill it and tire valve just flops...so much for that idea. so call the wife and i go back home to get my jack and stands. pulled the rear wheel and took it to the dealership that installed my tire. they replaced the valve stem for free.. but due to finances choose not to put a 90 on it till next week or so....got to work about 2.5 hrs late...but in once piece.

oh...and these qualifyers i bought from them at a steal of only 105$ when flat was as flimsy as a bicycle tire...any other rear i have ever had the side walls were stiff enough to ride on and you could not push in center of tire...these qualifyers....i was lucky i didnt run on rim

Go for the 83 degree stems instead of the 90 degree. UncleSteve posted up about them a couple weeks ago.

so by switching to a different angled valve stem will do what for you? Did the dealer just install the first one wrong? was the valve inside it nice and tight? What caused the air to excape?

The different angle helps get the air chuck on the valve stem beteween the rotors and other parts

90.jpg

Great to hear your safe. Sounds like faulty valve stem. Those 90's are $17 at Cycle Gear here in NE GA...pricey.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rubber stems are used because they are the cheapest a manufacturer can use and they are easy to install.
83 degree metal are the way to go, the caps have rubber seals, inertial will not effect the core spring and release air. They will not dry rot and are not as susceptible to debris damage. The biggest advantage is access for a tire gauge and air chuck, especially on the front wheel when the rotors are hot.

Rubber stems are used because they are the cheapest a manufacturer can use and they are easy to install.
83 degree metal are the way to go, the caps have rubber seals, inertial will not effect the core spring and release air. They will not dry rot and are not as susceptible to debris damage. The biggest advantage is access for a tire gauge and air chuck, especially on the front wheel when the rotors are hot.

All that for just $17? Sign me up.

He stated that it was a broken valve stem and that he doesn't have the money yet to buy the angled valve stems.

It is one of the best mods that I have done yet. $17 would be well worth it if you try it.

$17 per one? if not be careful they could be knockoffs. ariete stems are more,we keep them in stock for stock and aftermarket wheels.

so by switching to a different angled valve stem will do what for you? Did the dealer just install the first one wrong? was the valve inside it nice and tight? What caused the air to excape?

the stem itself was ripped and when pushed on cracked open right at the base of the stem. and yes it is a pain in the butt to try to fill air with a straight stem when any place may only have the straight push on nozzle. so i will be switching to new stems...like the 83 degree ones thanks for mentioning it

well i replaced my front tire last week and i wanted to get the 90's put on the rim and what they had didnt fit...now the tire is still looseing pressure at about 15lbs every 3-4 days... sprayed with soapy water...no bubbles....anyone else having problems with thier rims loosing air?

Back